Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18-days post-op with lots of questions

Hello Band-Land…

I am 18-days post-op… I am down 19lb so far. I have no Fluid in my 14cc band. I have been doing pretty good with my food choices, measuring everything, and actually feeling full. I have been trying to get 30mins of exercise in a day. I do have lots of questions still…

1. (Women only question) What do you do for cravings and appetite when it's that time of the month? Does your weight fluctuate during this time as well?

2. Because there are carbs in almost everything we eat, how do you determine what is a good amount of carbs per day? My fitnesspal says 249g is a go number.

3. What kind of exercise do you all do and how much and for how long?

4. Any ideas on things I can do as a truck-driver that works nights? I will be going back to work in a couple weeks and snacking is how I use to make it on the road. I need ideas or even some healthy snack choices to get me through my nights at work driving down that lonely highway.

5. I am scheduled to have a fill on November 18th. If I am still losing pretty good and considering the holiday is right around the corner, should I consider the fill or should I wait until I'm no longer losing weight or come to a plateau?

6. Are sunflower seeds bad?

7. So far I have been eating 1200 calories of less per day, along with 80g of Protein and trying to keep my carbs under 100g. Is this ok??? I'm really unsure… Just still so confused and need some words of wisdom on certain things.

Bandsters please share any advise or tips to help me through my journey. I appreciate all comments and I accept all the supportand encouragement I can get. Thanks a lot lbt…

1-Due to underactive o varies I don't get a period. not sure what you crave. If it's chocolate you might want to try sugar free candy. Just be careful because they still have significant calories and the sugar alchohols can cause stomach problems. If it's salty, you might wantto try those 100 calorie snack packs. Yes your weight will flucuate due to Water retention. You may want to simply stay off the scale during TOM.

2-249 seems really high for sure. My nut. says around 100. When I was loosing, I kept my carbs very low- probably around 20-30. It was carbs from veggies and nuts. I had a shake for Breakfast, or eggs would work. Lean meat (chicken, fish, porkloin) and veggie for lunch and dinner. One snack of 1/4 cup nuts and 2 cheese sticks. Not a lot of variety, but it worked for me. Some would say so low carb isn't healthy but Ifelt great. Some say they have no energy if they don't eat carbs, wasn't the case for me.

3-I like the treadmill, with my ipod. I walk on an incline for 45 minutes or jog for 30. I switch it up a little to use different muscles. I started out with a slow walk for 20 and gradually increased my duration/intensity.

4- I would due nuts or protien bars. Atkins makes some snack bars that are lowcarb and reasonable calories.

5-I would get a fill when your not full from your meal/snack for 3-4 hours. That's assuming you have one snack as I mentioned above. If your loosing weight but experienceing a lot of hunger it's time for a fill.

6-I think sunflower seends are pretty dense it fat and calories, but not positive. You may want to snack on those instead of the nuts I suggest if you like them a lot. You can probably find out the nutrition info on line. Just google nutrition sunflower seeds. When your not in your truck the ones in shells would be great. Lots of work to get at the seeds will slow you down.

7-Your caloreis and protien are perfect. As I said, I ate a very lowcarb diet- but that doesn't work for everyone. Infact the 100 you are doing is just what my nut. suggests. I just chose not to head that advice while I was loosing. For maintaince I probably do about 100.

You asked excellent questions, and hope my answers help. I was banded 2 years ago and lost the 100 pounds I needed in about 10 months. Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing. If you want to send me a personal message I would be happy to keep in touch.

Veronica