Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm Deb from Minnesota. I am so happy to have found this site. I know several people who have had the gastric bypass surgery but its too scary for me. When I heard about the lap band I knew that sounded much more safer to me. I have so many questions!

First of all, does it seem like the weight loss is slower than you expected it to be?

Are you able to drink any alcohol at all? I enjoy a cocktail or two on Friday evenings, sort of my reward for making it through the week. But I could live without it if I had to. ;)

Maybe others of you have felt like this, maybe not, but I dont want to tell everyone or really anyone for that matter that I'm going to have the surgery. :kiss Is that weird or what? :nervous

Looking forward to connecting with you all and getting support and giving what I can too. ;)

Hi Deb,

My name is Donna, I'm also a newbie. I was kind of releived to see you asked the same question that has been on my mind as well. I'm not to sure about telling people I am going to have the lap band surgery either. The few I have told are very mixed in opinions. My HB is very supportive.

I'm waiting for a loan approval them I'm scheduling with Dr. Spivak in Houston. How about you??

:clap2:

Donna

Hi Donna here also, I am in Northern Calif. I was banded on 12/29 and am getting my first fill on Friday. Since also being new, I can tell you I didn't tell very many people also. I didn't even tell my business partner. I just felt it wasn't anyone's business. The weight loss will be slower than the full gastric people, I "think" it will be alot easier to hide.

I think I didn't want to tell people was part shame, part being a very private person and part I didn't want to have to answer questions. I want to keep the focus on myself and not get into taking care of anyone else's feelings about this. This is about pleasing only ME. I think it's ok to put me first for a change!

Thanks for the lapband support on this site, I have really learnt alot!

Warm Regards - Donna R / Northern Calif

Hi to both of you! Don't worry about asking anything on here...someone will have an answer for you, and probably more than one! That's because the band is really individualized...no two people have exactly the same experience, but they are enough alike that we can relate to each other. Sometimes the weight loss seems super fast, and at other times, super slow. The point is, it will happen, and it will stay off, if your band stays healthy. I can't answer the alcohol question, because I no longer drink. I did have an NA beer last weekend, and it was okay, but a little bubbly in my tummy. Me, I tell it all. Everyone at work, my family, friends...I was so excited and proud to have this surgery, and take care of my health. I have had 0 negative response, 100% positive support. I know that is not everyone's world, but wanted to let you know my experience. There are lot of people on the boards who have chosen not to tell anyone, so I'm sure they'll be replying, also, and tell you their experiences.

Be sure to use the search feature, and you can look up all the older threads on the subjects you are interested in....welcome! Cindy

Deb and Donna, welcome to LBT! I'm the DH (darling husband) to MsJoy (the banded one). I know from reading in here that yes, you can have alcohol, but most of the doctors restrict its use during the healing period. I'm sure you don't need to be told what it feels like throwing a little alcohol on an open wound. Then after they have healed some of the members here have a glass of wine or two, some beer...whatever you can stand, I guess.

hi, my name is brenda, am new here i've been trying to talk to someone since this morning but haven't had n e luck, am interested in the lab land surgery need a dr to and cost

does n e one know of a good dr in monterrey? i live in mcallen, tx it's only a couple of hours away.

brenda, just use the search feature and type in what you want to search for. I'd be willing to bet you that there is all kinds of information on monterrey doctors.

Is anybody out there gettin' my messages? I'm not very computer savvy---I can type well but my computer knowledge and navigating on the web is like baby steps for me:nervous . Well I hope I get to hear from someone soon. Everyone take care now and may God bless you.

Hi Deb,

My name is Donna, I'm also a newbie. I was kind of releived to see you asked the same question that has been on my mind as well. I'm not to sure about telling people I am going to have the lap band surgery either. The few I have told are very mixed in opinions. My HB is very supportive.

I'm waiting for a loan approval them I'm scheduling with Dr. Spivak in Houston. How about you??

:clap2:

Donna

Hi Donna. (meme49) Are you 49 too?

Whew, glad to here I"m not the only one that doesn't want to tell the whole world. Of course there are some people that I won't be able to "not" tell like my mom and my in-laws, but hopefully that is all. I know my FIL doesn't want me to have the surgery. He says God made you that way so love the body you are in. (as he sits there all 140 pds of him, lol)

I have my first informational meeting on the 25th of Feb. Meet with the dietician on the 13th of Feb. There are several requirements that I have to meet before they will schedule surgery so I'm trying to get them all done as fast as possible. My insurance is great - will cover everything except 10% of the in-patient bill up to 10,000. All of the rest of it is covered 100%!!! I'm hoping to have the surgery before the end of April, if all goes well. The sooner the better imo. I am so "tired" (literally) of carrying all this weight around and want to do something about it to end it permantely.

Deb and Donna, welcome to LBT! I'm the DH (darling husband) to MsJoy (the banded one). I know from reading in here that yes, you can have alcohol, but most of the doctors restrict its use during the healing period. I'm sure you don't need to be told what it feels like throwing a little alcohol on an open wound. Then after they have healed some of the members here have a glass of wine or two, some beer...whatever you can stand, I guess.

Thanks for the info - I will be a good girl until the Doc gives me the thumbs up. ;-)

Hi Newbies! Welcome to LBT.

For those of you asking if we are getting your msgs - you may need to start your own new threads to get the responses you want.

Go to the main forums page - pick a forum and click on it. Look at the top left for the New Thread button and click it.

If you start your own new thread, people will respond to you. If you try and piggyback on someone elses thread, people may not. That piggybacking is called "Hijacking" and the most common response to that is for everyone to ignore you and respond to the original poster's question.

Just so you know. :]

As for the weight loss being faster or slower than you expect - it all depends on what you expect. LapBand "Normal" or "average" weightloss is expected to be 1-2 pounds a week - 52-104 pounds a year. If this is what you expect, then you probably won't be dissappointed - but some folks do lose more slowly than other. Search for "turtle" and read up on Turtles and Rabbits.

Alcohol is ok - carbonation is not. That is what most of the folks say their doctors told them. Ask YOUR doctor, or your Nutritionist.

As far as telling or not - it's a personal choice. If you don't want to tell, it is certainly easy enough to do the band thing without the world knowing.

Welcome & Good Luck to all of you.

:]

OH thats so good to know! I hope I'm average - 1 to 2 pds per week is very fine with me.

So what wouldn't a carbonated beverage be? I guess my Bac/Diet Cokes are out - have to find a new favorite drink. :-)

Wow - you just had your surgery! How are you doing?