Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!

My name is Kim and I'm in the initial stages of this crazy banding journey. I am 34, wife and mother of two young boys. I work full-time as a nurse. Obesity has been a life-long struggle. Like most here, I've dieted and gained it all back plus more. I contemplated gastric banding around 2003, but it was difficult to get insurance approval and I was scared and confident I could do it on my own. So here we are 8 years later and I'm going through with the band.

I attended a seminar on September 10th and had my initial consultation October 12th. I am required to complete a six month medically supervised weight loss prior to approval. My physician set weight loss goal of 13 pounds. My second weigh-in is scheduled for November 15th. I also have to attend six support seminars.

I've very excited about the journey, with a little hesitation because I know how my past performances have gone. I'm doing the best I can to be a healthier version of me. I look forward to sharing my journey with you and getting to know all of you!

Congrats Kim on your decision, a year from now you will be so excited to see the progress you have made.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Where abouts in Indiana. I live in Indianapolis, but had my surgery in southern Indiana do to financial reasons. I am now seeing Dr. Clark at St. Francis on the southside of Indianapolis.

Where abouts in Indiana. I live in Indianapolis, but had my surgery in southern Indiana do to financial reasons. I am now seeing Dr. Clark at St. Francis on the southside of Indianapolis.

Indianapolis! I'm in the IU system. Dr McKenna.

Indianapolis! I'm in the IU system. Dr McKenna.

So will you be going to the lap band support group? It meets the second Monday of every month.

I grabbed the schedule for the groups but hadn't figured out what I'm going to. You can go to the IU support groups even though you are through St F?

I grabbed the schedule for the groups but hadn't figured out what I'm going to. You can go to the IU support groups even though you are through St F?

I went to the IU support group for awhile and it is pretty good, the only problem is that there are NO bandsters in the group, all R-Y. IU doesn't seem to push the band very much in fact when I first started considering weight loss surgery I went to a consultation and was told I was not a good candidate for band surgery because of my high BMI and age. I guess I proved them wrong.

Having now been through the six months, I see what you are saying about them not pushing the band. Every person at support group is a RNY or sleeve patient. They're requirements are different than mine, so it makes this all very confusing, and it makes me not want to go to support groups, although they are all very nice people. I also find it difficult to speak my mind in a group setting. I think I prefer internet forum support. :)

Hi, I'm in indy but i'm going to have surgery at st vincents in carmel. I'm just starting the journey, waiting for insurance approval. They have a band specific support group. I think they are open to anyone (you don't have to be banded at st Vincents to attend). I'll be going to my first one the beginning of April.

Native Hoosier! I live in NJ now, but I saw the "greetings from IN" and had to look. Hope everyone is doing well!

Im in Indiana and just starting to consider having the lap band done. The only place I have been able to find is in Carmel, I live about an hour west of there. I don't even know where to start. All I know, so far, is my insurance covers it.

Hi Kim!

Welcome. :) I am in the beginning stages as well. Just completed my 6 month supervised diet and am now waiting for insurance approval. I know it can be daunting but the months will fly by! We can do this. All the best on your journey.

I had my surgery in Illinois but I don't want to continue to drive up there for follow up visits. I am a self pay my insurance won't cover anything weight loss related. Can any of you recommend a doctor in Indy for fills and such that will take self pay and aren't crazy expensive or able to bill as just office visits so insurance will cover? Thanks!