Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help with Preop liquid diet

I"m on my third day of my pre-op diet and I'm starving on these Protein shakes... I'm drinking 4 shakes a day for around 100 grams of protein and wanted to know what others do to help curve their hunger. Should I be eating Soup or something along with the shakes?

What is on the list the doctor gave you? Im sure he gave you one didnt he. 4 Protein Shakes is not all Im sure you are allowed to have. Everyones pre op diet is different. I didnt have any.

I'd say follow your doctor's orders as close as you can, even if it's really hard. I'm sure your doctor put you on the liquid diet for a reason! I'd suggest lots of tea to help comfort you and fill your belly when you're hungry or craving some food.< /p>

I am on my 4th day of liquid diet pre op (surgery date 10/25) i am allowed Clear liquids along with the Protein shakes. Along with the shakes I have been drinking chicken broth (also beef or veggie broth acceptable) not only does this actually help with hunger but it has replaced my craving for coffee, since i cant drink coffee without cream. I am also allowed sugar free Jello, which helps a little, you can have caffeine and sugar free teas both hot and cold and for me i drink lots of low cal gatorade. I've had the 'hunger headache' pretty steady for all 4 days but i have also lost 6 lbs, so that is keeping me motivated. Good luck with your surgery!

Lisa

Check the list from your doctor and see if you can have V-8. My list included this. I then heated it like Tomato Soup and added a few drops of tabasco. Very satisfying.

My prep diet for the first 4 days was 3 slim fast, 1 Protein Shake, unlimited sugar free Jello and zero cal drinks. After the third day I could have three shakes and one small salad with fat free dressing. It's been brutal! Im scheduled for Fri.

Oh and by the way, my dr said absolutely no to broth. It's too high in sodium and will make u retain Water and not shrink ur liver.

I'm on day nine of my pre-op diet. I can have three Protein shakes per day and unlimited sugar free liquids, which includes chicken, beef or vegetable bullion, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. I can prepare my shakes with Water, 1% milk, skim milk, soy milk or almond milk. If you have the option, use milk instead of Water. Drink something constantly.

One evening, I was really, really, really hungry and I added about a tablespoon of Peanut Butter to my Protein shake. I also licked the spoon and it was soooooo good.

Good luck. Just remember the pre-op diet is just a short time period and it is the beginning of a new and healthy life.

Hot tea helps my hunger! :) I've also stated blogging about my preop and the recipes im using. Check it out! Http://bandipes.blogspot.com

Make sure you're drinking plenty of Water between meals to help fill you (and hydrate you!). Do you have any issues with sodium, like edema or high blood pressure, or hypoalbuminemia? It seems like this would be a reason for your doc to tell you to stay away from broth, as the high sodium content has nothing to do with burning the fat around your liver (here's just one link.) If anything, it will make you retain Water, which you can counteract by drinking enough water throughout the day. Also, you can always make your own chicken stock, and keep the added salt to a minimum!

Just keep remembering, it's not forever- you can do this!! (just started the pre-op myself and put in a blog entry about it today). Good luck!