Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to start liking working out?

I still have to force myself to get to the gym everyday, but once I am done working out, I am so happy I went. I agree with everyone. Find something you enjoy, or liked doing back in your "skinnier" days...for me, it is Pilates. I actually had that "v-shape" to my abs when I did Pilates back in the day. I have rediscovered my love for it recently, and I get excited to do it. Alternating in the cardio workouts is what I hate. I find nothing more boring than getting on a treadmill or elliptical machine and doing a 35 minute workout. I load my ipod with great music, which helps a bit, but honestly, it still really sucks.

Try out some different things until you find something you do like, or I can guarantee, you won't be as successful. Rent some DVDs from the library, or Netflix has some really good ones on the instant streaming. You can also find sample workouts online. Some fitness centers will offer free aerobics classes.

Good Luck!

I really hate working out, but I have to, to lose anything, inches or lbs. But I feel so great afterwards!

Cheri

You have to like what you're doing at least somewhat. I mean, I have stopped kidding myself that I will EVER go to the gym and lift weights. Its just not going to happen.

But I do love running. What I love about running: - you can set goals. Distances, times, fun runs, small goals (5K) big goals (half marathons). You can measure your improvement, you can do it in different places. And it was just a goal of mine. I never ever get over the kick of being able to say "I am a runner". To me, it was the ultimate of what losing weight is all about.

And on that note - its about focussing and enjoying the outcome, perhaps even more so than the process. I plan to do a hard interval run on my treadmill tonight. I dont really "want to" per se, but I know I will and once I get going I will feel awesome about what I am doing and when I am finished I will feel GREAT.

And I have accepted that its what I have to do to have the body I want. I look around the workplace, there's a few of us women between 40 and 55 and nobody is really obese but everyone has softened into middle age, and has big tummies and large breasts and thighs that want covering. They all sit at lunch in the staffroom with healthy lunches, salads, fruit and yogurt, rice cakes and avocado. Nobody eats crap. nobody brings chocolate for Snacks, nobody drinks soft drinks. I am the only one who is not fat and looks fit. I have a lapband and I'd say I eat more during the day than half of these people. The difference is my running. I wont ever stop! I've been through early menopause at the age of 43 thanks to chemoradiation and I have none of that typical round the middle weight gain and accelerated body aging. Bone density tests have shown excellent results (they were worried about me what with being only 43 and so thin) - that's thanks to running. I got through it with minimal pain - thanks to running. Anybody that doesnt exercise will live a substandard life as they age, its that simple. It keeps you young. Thin is only a small part it.

You have to like what you're doing at least somewhat. I mean, I have stopped kidding myself that I will EVER go to the gym and lift weights. Its just not going to happen.

But I do love running. What I love about running: - you can set goals. Distances, times, fun runs, small goals (5K) big goals (half marathons). You can measure your improvement, you can do it in different places. And it was just a goal of mine. I never ever get over the kick of being able to say "I am a runner". To me, it was the ultimate of what losing weight is all about.

And on that note - its about focussing and enjoying the outcome, perhaps even more so than the process. I plan to do a hard interval run on my treadmill tonight. I dont really "want to" per se, but I know I will and once I get going I will feel awesome about what I am doing and when I am finished I will feel GREAT.

And I have accepted that its what I have to do to have the body I want. I look around the workplace, there's a few of us women between 40 and 55 and nobody is really obese but everyone has softened into middle age, and has big tummies and large breasts and thighs that want covering. They all sit at lunch in the staffroom with healthy lunches, salads, fruit and yogurt, rice cakes and avocado. Nobody eats crap. nobody brings chocolate for Snacks, nobody drinks soft drinks. I am the only one who is not fat and looks fit. I have a lapband and I'd say I eat more during the day than half of these people. The difference is my running. I wont ever stop! I've been through early menopause at the age of 43 thanks to chemoradiation and I have none of that typical round the middle weight gain and accelerated body aging. Bone density tests have shown excellent results (they were worried about me what with being only 43 and so thin) - that's thanks to running. I got through it with minimal pain - thanks to running. Anybody that doesnt exercise will live a substandard life as they age, its that simple. It keeps you young. Thin is only a small part it.

In the beginning I kinda enjoyed working out. But now I don't so much and when I doing my workouts I feel myself not making much of an effort. Maybe it because I am doing the same workout dvd, I think I will switch it up like some suggested. Also my dream has always been to run, but right now I don't see that in the plan. Once I lose some more weight I will slowing introduce myself into running.

I love it. It took 3 years, and a lot of work with a trainer. I think I hated it at first because I felt self-concious in the gym, I was one of the fatter girls there and my form was awful. So, after working one-on-one with a trainer, I then graduated to HER group class, which I felt comfortable in because she helped me learn what we would be doing before. Then I got into Zumba because the Zumba teacher in my gym is just so funny and charming and approachable that it didn't feel intimidating. Once I was doing Zumba practically every day, my trainer challenged me to take Cardio Kickboxing, which is taught by a very intimidating woman, and the class is very fast-paced. To my shock, I was able to keep up and loved it - and I realized how strong I had become (loss of 65 lbs, able to lift serious weight, good form!) and it was just the BEST feeling. Now I take Boot Camp, which I pay extra for, and whenever my gym hangs up a flier for a new form of excercise, I'm one of the first to try it out. I have become such a workout addict. But it did take about 3 years! I can't even describe how AMAZING it feels to take Boot Camp or Kickboxing. I feel so confident and strong and exhiliriated afterwards. Anyone else LOVE the sore muscle feeling you get after a really challenging class, where you know you will feel it the next day, but it's a good kind of pain?!

RDK

I dont work out and never have except in short bursts to try to lose weight in the past! I just cant keep it up for a lifetime other than a few walks with my fat dog. OK, I admitted it, I dont exercise and yes, my weight loss was slow but from where I'm sitting now it doesnt matter. I dont diet either but I have continued to lose weight even past my goal. I LOVE my band!