Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-pre-pre-pre question (s)

I am in the 'exploratory' mode... I seriously looked at lap banding 7 years ago. I was talked out of it, and could not afford it. I am now 75 lbs heavier and diabetic (type 2).

One odd question (ammong many) comes to mind...

what about after surgery sleeping? I have an old basset hound who is my....well my best buddy (can't sleep with out the warm lump next to me), I now have a second dog whose favorite spot is to hapily leap onto my belly (when on the sofa or office chair) and get petted/kisses/loving....

if/when I have surgery how will that change? I now sleep on my right side or back....

I assume NO lifting for quite awhile afterwards? (I help give the basset a 'nudge' as she is 15 years old).

I also assume, working in a warehouse type environment that there is a (severe?) lifting restriction? I am a BIG man who does a lot of 'grunt' work (one big reason I was hired)....

thanks in advance

I like your style. Anyone who thinks that much of his dogs can't be all bad. Seriously though, I didn't

have any problem sleeping in any position (other than my stomach), but not everyone is so lucky.

I credit much of my good fortune to going to a Center of Excellence, you should try one.

I was told not to lift more than ten pounds for six weeks but I made an exception for my dogs,

just lift carefully. You probably should take all the time you can from work. I cut down a big tree today,

I'm almost six weeks out, and found myself a little weaker than I was, trying to lift 50-60 lb chunks

of wood. I don't know if it's residual from the surgery or diet. All I'm trying to say is don't push it.

You seem like a good guy, take your time, do a lot of research, find a surgeon with a good

reputation, a hospital with a good program, follow your teams instructions, and I wish you sucess.

Thanks- as to my doc(s), my endo is one of the best (I am told that other doctors will only use him and he is on staff with 5 hospitals) so who he recommended for surgery has to be good. On the surgeons website he was voted 'best of (mycity) several times. One consistent thing I have read is use an EXPERIENCED surgeon, this guys sounds top notch (in fact in making an appt last week the first available was Dec 1 (one concern I have there, is reading that folks 'never see their surgeon again...). For me its all about the 'vibe'- if I like him- thats good enough for me.

As to work- I work in a warehouse environment. I am the 'grunt' for my department and regularly life 75 lbs. (tho with the weight gain I have slowed down, and also realize if I get hurt...who cares (i.e. if i wrench my back out, who is that helping). Once a decision is made (about lapbanding) I will talk to management. They have been very understanding about the diabetes (well they have to but...). So I will do what I need to do.

As to the pups, I was at the dog park and a lady literally abandoned the scottie in front of me, walked out, didn't look back. I think it was meant to be. He is a year and a half old and being diabetic really gets me up and at em. We go to the dog park at least 4-5 times a week (if if were just me and he older bassetish I would be much more sedentary...

I have an appt with my primary care on Tuesday. I called my insurance company, lapband IS covered, 80% + deductable.

I like your style. Anyone who thinks that much of his dogs can't be all bad. Seriously though, I didn't

have any problem sleeping in any position (other than my stomach), but not everyone is so lucky.

I credit much of my good fortune to going to a Center of Excellence, you should try one.

I was told not to lift more than ten pounds for six weeks but I made an exception for my dogs,

just lift carefully. You probably should take all the time you can from work. I cut down a big tree today,

I'm almost six weeks out, and found myself a little weaker than I was, trying to lift 50-60 lb chunks

of wood. I don't know if it's residual from the surgery or diet. All I'm trying to say is don't push it.

You seem like a good guy, take your time, do a lot of research, find a surgeon with a good

reputation, a hospital with a good program, follow your teams instructions, and I wish you sucess.

I have 3 pugs who cuddle up next to me when we sleep, and I wouldn't have it any other way. As a matter of fact, all I have to say is "should we go sleep? ", and they're running in circles, racing each other to get in the bed. The two girls curl up right away and crash, but my boy has to climb on top of me and get a healthy dose of affection before we go to sleep. He also climbs all over me when we're watching TV, staring me right in the face as if to say don't watch the TV, lets play!

After surgery, I was too afraid to sleep with them for the first couple of days, so I put beds on the floor for them and took enough of the lortab to knock me out. After about 4 days, I could not stand being without my kids and I picked up the dogs and put them in the bed with me. Their weights range from 22 - 34lbs, and I had no trouble picking them up, even though I was not supposed to.

I had my surgery on 9/15, so I'm a little more than a month out, and my boy is loving the fact that I'm now picking up the pace and trying to run a bit with him. I'm absolutely positive that he is glad I chose to get banded, even if it meant a few nights on the floor without his momma!

Pendulum - I love me some pets also!! Any guy who is willing to give a boost to elder basset (they are so darn cute) gets a thumbs-up from me.

Post-surgery (I'm about 4.5 weeks out - was banded 9/20/11) I was able to sleep in any position except on my stomach. My pets crawl all over me - and I was comfortable as long as they stayed away from the port incision - mine is about parallel with my belly button and 6 inches to the right. It's only been the last week or so that my port incision area hasn't been tender to the touch.

I live in rural area, and heat our farmhouse with wood. Fall is chainsaw and wood stocking time for my husband and I -- but this year I've had to take a back seat and enlist assistance from some of his buddies -- I'm not able to run the chainsaw for more than a few minutes, and am not able to help with loading/unloading the tractor trailer either. We grew pumpkins, and I was sharing some with one of my coworkers yesterday -- I helped her put a box of about 30 small pumpkins in her car -- and I'm still feeling it today. I think it will be a good while after surgery before you would be able to comfortably lift 75 lbs., especially on a repetitive basis. (I do human services work -- if your employer employs more than 50 employees -- you should be eligible for up to 12 weeks of leave with your return rights to your job guaranteed -- if you do physically demanding work - don't hesitate to utilize this process.) Rushing back is NOT worth long-term injury, and I understand this can also cause the band to "slip" or prolapse -- definitely not a good thing.

I hope you and the pups all do well.

Im a pup lover and they snuggle with me too. My surgery is 10/27 and I am a little concerned about them jumping on my belly. One is a maltipoo and 22lbs, so he's definately on my lap alit. The other one is a boxer, about 50lbs and well, she loves my lap too! :) I think I'll be sleeping in a chair with a pillow over my belly :P

Thanks all!

The scottie mix (aka Angus) was abondoned in front of me at a dog park 3 months ago- very smart and very attached- his (okay one of) is when I get home and sit at the computer, I say '1,2,3' and he happily jumps straight up and lands, feet out, on my belly to give me LOTS of kisses (and look out the window behind me). I can't imagine not allowing that! but I like the pillow idea. I also like the idea of assisting the bassett-ish with a nudge.

Sounds like my belly will let ME know what I can and cannot do...

Appt with my PC is next week, first appt with the surgeon is Dec 1.

Im a pup lover and they snuggle with me too. My surgery is 10/27 and I am a little concerned about them jumping on my belly. One is a maltipoo and 22lbs, so he's definately on my lap alit. The other one is a boxer, about 50lbs and well, she loves my lap too! :) I think I'll be sleeping in a chair with a pillow over my belly :P