Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing Up All The Time, Making Me Tired At Work

Hi Everyone,

Wow! What a great thread. I have read and related to so much of what you have all said.

I have had three fills and my band is at 2.2 out of 4cc's. I find that my band is tight in the morning and will not allow me to eat much of anything that is not liquid or very very soft. By lunch time it is easing up a bit, but still moody. Then by evening, it is like I have no band and I am eating the walls because I am hungry.

The scales are staying about the same for a month, and I have only been banded since Thanksgiving. I too find myself throwing up a PB occasionally when I try to eat something that my band does not agree with. I am amazed when something that went down fine the day before triggers that terrible feeling in my chest that lets me know my band is not passable.

What is your suggestion old bandsters with lots of experience under your belt? I am open to your guidance!

Amy

banded 11-21-05

-26 pounds (22 of those pounds were lost before Christmas)

Tough love here too

The more youthrow up the more damage you do to your band and the higher the risk of slippage. If you are throwing up more then once a week..you are too tight my friend. No weight loss is worth losing your band, you can still lose weight and not throw up once a week. If it were me I would be getting a small unfill, having as little as .2 cc's removed can still give you great restriction andstill lose wirght but yet be able to eat comfortable without PBing so often. I'm suprised your Dr. is OK with this or is he not aware of it? I was told by my Dr. if I was PBing more then once a week, I was too tight! He would never allow me to be PBing that often but then again, I would never allow myself to be PBing that often..

Be a wise and responsible bandster...call your Dr. and schedule a slight unfill and get checked for slippage

OMG. What have I done? I just got my surgery date today (03-07-06) and purchased my plane tickets. This post is scaring the cr*p out of me.

Looking for some reassurance,

Donna

Pre-Band (03-07-06)

Dr. Rumbaut

275/150

5' 9"

Donna, just calm down. Have you researched the band thoroughly? Have you read the band rules on eating, getting fills, and possible things that can wrong you need to watch for? Most have no problems what's so ever, but a small percentage do. Things can happen if your band is too tight. A PB is when the food hasn't been chewed enough or your band is too tight. A slip is what most call it, when the lining of the bottom section of your stomach comes up into the pouch, and doesn't return correctly.

I have been banded a little over 6 months, and have had none of these problems, but others have. Please ask any questions you have and many here will be more than happy to help you.

There is little to be scared about (although it is natural reaction and we all had it). If you are taking care of the band, the throwing up should NOT be happening. This post is not indicative of how life is with the band under normal circumstances.

hi iam having problems with my fill i am been sick with acid reflux iam having a un fill on monday i whould rather have a small un fill then lose my band altogether so go see your dr before you do some real damage to your band good luck chris

Just curious. Who did your surgery and at what facility? How long did you stay in Hosp. after surgery? What was your beginning weight?

I agree with everyone else. You need to RUN!!! to the doctor. Keep us posted....

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I am now realizing that I am in a serious situation and need to get help from my surgeon right away. I know some of you guys out there know the feeling I am talking about. That stabbing, golf ball in your throat feeling which seeme like it won't ever go away with out throwing up and on top of it you are dying of thirst.

I am learning how important chewing your food really well is, it has also taught me that shoveling in the food at such a rapid pace got me here in the first place (Pre-Band). I have called my parents several times complaining about not feeling well and they think I am just trying to get validation to stop trying to loose weight, which is not the point at all. The point is, I am in pain and I want it to stop, hence my call to the doc today. I am hoping there is an easy solution to this. When you have come so far and done so much to help yourself you do not want to take a step back, just move forward. It is rough, but all of you guys through kind and tough love are the best.

Jen

I too have episodes for days wher I throw up at every time I eat almost. It happens for me around my period and with stress. I am very stressed now, and havn;t been able to eat since Mon. night. so elimitate the stress and the tightness goes. I havn't gotten a fill for months and prior was great restriction and comfortable. since the stress at work, things not so much fun. so yes, I KNOW that stress and bloating causes the tightness, I have had a gastro to check the status of the band since my last fill everythings great no slippage just perfect until monday .

Just go slow, eat soft foods that will give you Protein like cottage cheese and stuff and let the stress work its course then try foods. until you can get to the dr. ask his opinion on the stress issue. My doc says I need to eliminate the stress. so I asked for a job!

I have found that If I eat too fast and don't pay attention to my chewing I can get that slim feeling and the pain as well..I try to let it pass if I can to avoid the pbing. I can't do chicken no matter what! I agree with everyone here...

I got a fill in Dec. My port has flipped so Dr. filled it a little more than usual because he said its not a port he wants to have to fill every few weeks. I have had a LOT to get used to! I STILL puree some foods. I NEVER eat potatoes or bread they just simply get stuck and the pain is BAD. The way I looked at it, I probably shouldn't be eating breads anyway so: The band reminded me of that fact. I have been dinking round with the same 3 lbs. for 2 months! I went through and still go through vomiting on occasion.. depending on how fast I eat or how little I chew. I have to have a root canal soon and then I will be able to chew my food better.. Till then, I will puree. I have begun to look at this whole band thing as a journey. A journey to what is logical and what is bad for me.. I find my portions are SO much smaller now. and when I eat GOOD food and chew chew chew or puree it, I am full MUCH sooner. I DO tend to over do. Simply because it doesn't make sense to my brain that I could be full after so little food.. The drinking during meals is a no no for me.. I throw up more if I drink and I dont stay as full.. So I have stopped. The band wins again! I had a hard time with that one. It didnt seem natural to NOT drink with my meal. It IS doable though. I dont think i have slippage. I think I have a learning disability!

I torture myself fighting to maintain my old ways of thinking and eating until I finally give in and let the band think FOR me. Since doing so: I have lost 4 lbs. in 2 weeks.. vomiting everyday is not normal. It should be looked at but, again this is a life changing thing and we as humans tend to resist change even if we are the ones that instituted it.. I sat here one night with food sitting in my chest wondering why i did this and i said" Karen, face the fact that you needed surgery to loose weight because you couldnt do it alone.. stop looking at this as a curse and follow direction insted of bucking the system.. YOU wanted your life to change ALLOW it to.. It didnt go on over night.. it wont come off over night. it gets frustrating and you go through times you wish you hadn't done it but its all part of the evolution of the new you.. a new you that thinks a WHOLE lot differently.. I NEVER thought I would look at cake and say " It's not worth it." Not worth the wasted calories or the pain of it getting stuck.. You start looking at food as a necessity not a comfort and your life takes on a whole new meaning because you find NEW things to comfort you.. a good book, nice music, crafts, etc. Get to a doctor and discuss your problems.

Then prepare for the journey of a lifetime! Good luck to you

Thanks guys.............your responses were good advice well received. I saw parts of myself in each of your responses. I do feel that I should have lost more weight by now, but like you said, I didn't gain it overnight and I won't lose it overnight. Good luck to all you in your weight loss journey! It's very encouraging to share your struggles with!

Hi Jen,

I am not banded yet, but just from what I read on the board, this is not good can cause damage to you and your band, so all that these good people wrote above is wise counsel.

Having said that, having experienced Lexapro before, it made me feel sick, do you think that is making it worse?

Hello My Fellow Band-sters.

I got my first fill on 1/19 and the weight loss has been great, I have posted about feeling a little too tight before, but now I am in a serious prediciment.

...On a normal day I only have to throw up about once or twice (I am seriously careful about what I eat) but I have been having some emotional problems as of late and was put back on Lexapro and Xanax, now everytime I throw up I feel like I am going to pass out....

Honey, you're sicker than I was when I was in a hospital ICU ward. Please don't do this to yourself - I've had Major League overfilling, but what you're experiencing is devastating to read about - much less to go through. I'm not a trooper so I couldn't go through this type of thing willingly. This isn't what being banded is about nor is it how the band can help you. RUN don't walk - your surgeon would probably not be pleased to find out you've been doing this.

And at work? This could be damaging you - physically, emotionally, or professionally. Get checked out now.

Good Luck.