Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing Up All The Time, Making Me Tired At Work

Hello My Fellow Band-sters.

I got my first fill on 1/19 and the weight loss has been great, I have posted about feeling a little too tight before, but now I am in a serious prediciment.

On a normal day I only have to throw up about once or twice (I am seriously careful about what I eat) but I have been having some emotional problems as of late and was put back on Lexapro and Xanax, now everytime I throw up I feel like I am going to pass out. Most of the time the throwing up episodes are at work, which really sucks cuz now I look like the company bulimic. People ask "Whats that noise" coming out of the ladies room, and it is me tring to unlodge whatever got caught, sometimes I try to let it pass but the chest pains are so bad I can't take it. I feel like a zombie at work and now when I go home I do even eat dinner and go right to bed around 7pm.

A few people here know I have the band and they are very supportive, but it is not something I want to advertise to all these new people who I have to spend 8 hours a day with. And to boot after I throw up I get this horrible burning sensation in my throat.

Any advice out there... I don't want to get unfilled because I am already late with my first fill as it is because the first time they went to fill me they found that my port was flipped so I needed another operation and had to wait yet another 6 weeks for this fill.

Thanks for reading...you guys are always so kind and helpful

Here is some tough love!

I don't care if you don't "WANT" and unfill, but you are going to do some SERIOUS damage if you keep up the way you are going. IT is not HEALTHY, PERIOD!!! Call your Dr. immediately!

My advice... run, don't walk, run to the doctor for an unfill. Constant wretching and throwing up is NOT good for the band and can cause serious harm resulting in band removal and loss. You don't have to be unfilled, just have them take some out. There is no time schedule on your weight loss. You didn't gain it in a few months, don't expect to lose it in a few months. But if you don't take care of this problem, you risk having dehydration, starvation symptoms, health risks, band problems with another surgery to remove your band for a minimum of 6 months!!!

GO NOW!

Guest Kira M

"On a normal day I only have to throw up about once or twice"

I'm sitting here with my mouth gaping open. Only once or twice a day?? Jen, that is NOT ok. That is NOT acceptable. I understand your frustration with the fill delays you've had, but you MUST get a slight unfill. You shouldn't be throwing up EVER, unless you on RARE occasion eat something that doesn't go down right, or you get the stomach flu.

Do you understand how serious the risk is for your band to slip because of all this vomiting?? It can and WILL happen if you continue like this. PLEASE stop being stubborn, and get an unfill. Even a slight unfill might make all the difference.

The band's purpose is NOT to make you vomit. That isn't how you are supposed to lose weight with the band. The band should only REASONABLY restrict portions so that you can achieve saity (sp) on smaller, bandster healthy meals. 3-4 oz SOLID Protein, 1 serving (about 1/2 cup) veggies, and if there is still room, one serving (again about 1/2 cup) of starch. Any other use of the band is abuse, and you will pay for it in the long run.

Jen,

I know the predicament you feel, because I was havign excellent weightloss and then suddenly started throwing up a LOT! I was eating just a few bites twice a day and still throwing up. After a week, I knew it was something that couldn't be normal. It was the day I couldn't keep down liquids that I called. He saw me right away. The verdict was that I had slippage of my band, and it corrected itself with an unfill. It's been two weeks now and I can't beleive I waited so long to get relief.

Jen, remember you have your whole life to lose weight - so take care of yourself int he mean time. Quick weight loss is not the best. The security you get with the band is that you know it can help you lose. Just make sure you aren't doing damage. If you let a slip go too long, you can do some serious damage that could require you to have surgery and have it removed. YOu would need to wait another 6 months for healing before you could consider having it put back on. So go to the doctor. He may go ahead and give you a slight unfill or he may send you to get an upper GI (simply an xray) to see if there is blockage.

I wish you the best of luck, and keep us all posted!

Daniela

(Michigan)

220/155/130

I know it's already been said, but throwing up once or twice a day is not "only". You need to get your butt to the doctor and have some of your fill taken out. TELL your doctor what has been going on, so that he can check things out.

And keep us posted. (hugs)

EDIT

Wait... do you have any fill in your band? Did they put some in during surgery that they can take out?? Even if you have no fill, you need to get to the doctor so that he can check thinks out. Not having a fill doesn't mean you wont lose weight. There are a number of people who don't need fills right away with the band and lose weight, but you still need to be able to EAT, and NOT throw up.

I too have thought that throwing up once or twice a day was normal. Everyone on here recommended that I get an unfill. I saw my doc yesterday: he said I didn't need an unfill, I just needed to take smaller bites and chew better. (I'm in remedial bandster class!) Oh, and I should stop eating bread. You should see your doc for advice. He/She should ask lots of questions before making the decision to fill or unfill you. Good Luck!

Hi Jen and All:

I do understand about the throwing up. I too, throw up several times a day. I simply cannot eat ANYTHING until at night, then it is very little. I usually have a Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning, nothing for lunch, and try to eat a Wend's Baked Potato in the evening. Notice I said "TRY". Half way through eating the potato, I have to throw it back up. I can occassionally eat a cup of yogurt or a pudding snack. I am just tired of trying to find things that I can eat without throwing up. I got banded in July and have only lost about 24 - 25 lbs. I have 2.75 cc's in my 4 cc capacity band. I don't want to get an un-fill because I want to keep losing weight. Over the past few weeks though, I haven't lost any. I fluctuate between gaining and losing the same 2 pounds.

Just sick and tired of throwing up - sometimes even water!

collegeteacher

collegeteacher~

If you are filled too tightly, that is most likely why you don't lose weight. Sounds like you need to get to your Dr. also!

Hi Jen and All:

I do understand about the throwing up. I too, throw up several times a day. I simply cannot eat ANYTHING until at night, then it is very little. I usually have a Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning, nothing for lunch, and try to eat a Wend's Baked Potato in the evening. Notice I said "TRY". Half way through eating the potato, I have to throw it back up. I can occassionally eat a cup of yogurt or a pudding snack. I am just tired of trying to find things that I can eat without throwing up. I got banded in July and have only lost about 24 - 25 lbs. I have 2.75 cc's in my 4 cc capacity band. I don't want to get an un-fill because I want to keep losing weight. Over the past few weeks though, I haven't lost any. I fluctuate between gaining and losing the same 2 pounds.

Just sick and tired of throwing up - sometimes even water!

collegeteacher

I wanted to add some thoughts as a band "veteran" of almost 3 1/2 years. I have lost 100lbs to date and still have about 40ish to go..not sure..but I am happily under 200 and size 10-12 right now and happy where I am at.

You are obviously getting in calories because you are bouncing up and down. I don't think you are making the wisest food choices..a baked potato ( I have no idea what is on a "wendy's baked potato) but where's the Protein in that? pudding Snacks? You are way past post-op and no need to be eating soft Snacks like that. I don't want to beat anyone up. I am not and have never been the perfect bandster food wise..I think that I just had to come to grips (and still struggle with) the quantity of food we truly can eat. Some of the throwing up could be because your pouch is full but you continue to eat and then throw up what is working up your esophagus. I don't know how big this baked potato is, as an example..but 1/2 of a big one would be just about how much pouch space you have. One small potato would be your entire pouch.

I throw up when I overeat and ignore the full signal and want to finish off my portion. I know I shouldn't, but I still do it. not often...sometimes something just gets stuck and I need to unstick it..usually it is the copious amounts of slime building up to move it down that causes the pressure. I try and stop eating and sit and wait and see if it will pass rather than run to the restroom. It is really all about patience. We cannot eat fast and mindlessly anymore. We can't finish our plate and we can't rely on soft calories to work around our tight fill we insist on having thinking it will help us lose faster. It won't because you are resorting to pudding cups and other soft foods..still calories..

My fill doctor who I went to in december looked at what i wrote down on my sample food menus. I put down I occasionally drink fruit juice..I don't drink alot..but I was avoiding whole fruit in favor of fruit juice. He told me if I am able to eat 8 oranges, he then said I can have a glass of orange juice. If I couldn't consume 8 oranges..I shouldn't be drinking the equivelent in juice. I was avoiding the oranges, because sometimes the pulp would stick or it was just too much trouble. I realized he was right. I was just avoiding it because juice was easier to deal with than chewing a real fruit. So now I will try and eat a tangerine or I snack on grapes(low on the glycemic index). I may be only be able to pop a few..but I am controlling my calories better.

A tight fill is not always going to guarantee the weight loss. It still is about food choices and not lying to yourself about what you are doing to work around your fill.

Sorry to babble on..I have been there, done that for almost 4 years now. I lie to myself less these days and the results are I am losing weight with a decent fill and not throwing up because I am overeating and when you are just way too tight..brave enough to loosen it up and change your behaviors along with it!

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

Patty, there is so much wisdom in your post! Thank you for sharing your insight. It's extremely valuable for beginners and veterans alike. :couch2:

I don't know about you guys, I can't throw up. I mean I have had PB's before with the slime and all, but sometimes have felt like I needed to throw up and couldn't. As I see it in my eyes that's good because my surgeon says I shold NOT be vomiting at all. See your doc!

I STILL have some problems eating potatos. For me, potatos were NOT a band friendly food. Apparently they're not a post-band friendly food either. lol

Both of you are too tight.

Hi there,

I know you don't want to hear it, but I did exactly what you did and the only time I stopped throwing up was after I finally had an unfill after 4 weeks. Of course everyone tells you how bad it is to be throwing up all the time...band slippage, esophagos erosion, etc, etc. But none of that matters when you're losing the weight...I do know. But I finally got sick of being sick and when I called to ask to be unfilled they said absolutely, get in here now. The center where I go was very supportive and said they breathed easy when I finally made the decision. You have to go through it on your own. I've been unfilled now for 6 weeks and still losing, but I know that I have to have a fill on Tuesday and am very nervous. I'm actually the opposite now. All I can say is just be careful, even though I know how you feel. You don't want to have to have the band removed either. Just be patient with yourself. Sometimes I think we just get frantic because we compare ourselves with bypass patients. But don't worry, it comes off. Well, I know I rambled, but I hope I helped in some small way. Good luck!

Tina