Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New from Wisconsin, and question about taking meds

Hi, my name is Rachel and I'm new to this forum. I have just started my lap band process by setting an appointment for an informational session next Wednesday, October 19. I live in Two Rivers, Wisconsin with my mom as I go to college to be a medical lab technician. I am 37 and have an almost 15-year-old son. I weigh 241 and should weigh about 120. I'm 5 feet tall. I am on Medicare because I am on disability for Bipolar Disorder Type 1. Before I get too much into my hobbies and stuff, I have a few questions.

I know that you have to be judged as emotionally stable to have this surgery. I am managed on medications and have been relatively stable for several years (no major episodes since about 2006). First question is, has anyone else with psychiatric illnesses been able to get the surgery? Secondly, I take a lot of medications. Like, 8-12 pills per night. Wouldn't that be a problem with the lap band surgery? Wouldn't the medications plug up the hole or whatever? Please, any input would be helpful. I don't want to get my hopes up too much if this surgery will be impossible for me. Thank you!

Hi, my name is Rachel and I'm new to this forum. I have just started my lap band process by setting an appointment for an informational session next Wednesday, October 19. I live in Two Rivers, Wisconsin with my mom as I go to college to be a medical lab technician. I am 37 and have an almost 15-year-old son. I weigh 241 and should weigh about 120. I'm 5 feet tall. I am on Medicare because I am on disability for Bipolar Disorder Type 1. Before I get too much into my hobbies and stuff, I have a few questions.

I know that you have to be judged as emotionally stable to have this surgery. I am managed on medications and have been relatively stable for several years (no major episodes since about 2006). First question is, has anyone else with psychiatric illnesses been able to get the surgery? Secondly, I take a lot of medications. Like, 8-12 pills per night. Wouldn't that be a problem with the lap band surgery? Wouldn't the medications plug up the hole or whatever? Please, any input would be helpful. I don't want to get my hopes up too much if this surgery will be impossible for me. Thank you!

I've understood that they are looking for mental stability of about 2 years or more to ensure that you are able to cope with the lifestyle changes expected of you.....you certainly qualify there. The multitudes of meds will not be a problem because you may be able to change the timing of them, reduce some of them as you lose weight, and open capsules and sprinkle them in yogurt etc IF they are not a certain type of time release...........

That being said, every person's history and physician's process is different; I encourage you to start the journey. I don't think you're in an impossible situation.

Thanks so much for your input. I'm glad to know that it isn't impossible for me to have the lap band surgery. I do have another question. I just moved here and have only seen my new doctor twice. The second time I saw her she was doing her exam and I was trying to explain to her all the problems I have had yo-yoing and trying to lose weight. She cut me off and said, "You need more willpower." Then later we were talking about a client I had who had to have his food locked up...she said, "As long as it wasn't locked up in YOUR room!" In other words, she's not the most supportive about weight issues. Am I going to need her blessing for this?

I take a number of pills everyday and have no problem with them. The largest pills I break into but the larger capsules seem to do fine as I think they disentergrate quickly.

I suffer from chronic depression and have been on medication for it for probably 15 years. It did not hinder me from getting the surgery. Good luck to you.

I've understood that they are looking for mental stability of about 2 years or more to ensure that you are able to cope with the lifestyle changes expected of you.....you certainly qualify there. The multitudes of meds will not be a problem because you may be able to change the timing of them, reduce some of them as you lose weight, and open capsules and sprinkle them in yogurt etc IF they are not a certain type of time release...........

That being said, every person's history and physician's process is different; I encourage you to start the journey. I don't think you're in an impossible situation.

Hi, and welcone to our forum. I think as long as you disclose everything up front with the doctor you will be ok.

My psychologist would not clear me until she talked with both of my medical providers. They did talk and I was

cleared. I am also Bip I. I have been on lamictal and it has made such a difference in my life. They will work with

your med list and your primary care provider. It is important that you commit to regular visits with the surgeon and

pcp after you have the surgery. All the best to you hon. Message me if you have further questions.

Melinda