Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 YEARS OUT AND STUCK!

I HAD MY LAP BAND 2 YEARS AGO THIS MONTH (OCTOBER). I HAVE ONLY LOST 50 LBS. I AM HOLDING MY WEIGHT BUT AM SO DISAPPOINTED AT SUCH A "SMALL" WEIGHT LOSS. I WOULD HAVE NEVER LOST IT WITHOUT THE SURGERY BUT WAS REALLY HOPING I WOULD LOST AT LEAST 100LBS BY NOW. AT ONE POINT I HAD 7 CC IN MY BAND NOW I ONLY HAVE 4. I AM TOLD THAT IF I HAVE 7 IT CAUSES REFLUX. WHY COULD I HOLD 7 AT ONE TIME AND NOT NOW? I HAD 7 IN MY BAND FOR MONTHS THEN THEY THOUGHT I WAS LEAKING B/C THEY COULD ONLY REMOVE 4 CC OUT BEFORE REFILLING ME MORE. BUT DID CT AND EVERYTHING IS WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE AND NO LEAKING. SO, WHERE DID THE OTHER 3 CC GO? I AM SURE I AM EATING MORE CAUSE MY BAND ONLY HAS 4 AND NOT 7. BUT THEY WON'T PUT 7 IN AGAIN. I AM STILL CONSIDERED MORBIDLY OBESE. I JUST FEEL LIKE THIS WAS A WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT. DON'T THINK I WOULD DO IT AGAIN. TO SCARED TO DO THE OTHER PROCEDURES THAT REMOVE PARTS OF YOUR STOMACH/INTESTINES. I AM CONSIDERING HAVING IT REMOVED. ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear that the band hasn't worked as well for you as you hoped. Before you have the band removed, consider whether it is helping you to keep off the 50lb you have already lost. Is there a risk you would gain it back if the band was removed and you didn't have another plan in place?

Best wishes

Tracey

I am so sorry to hear that you are stuck on a plateau! :( I am nearing 2yrs out and I definitely expected to have lost more by now but thats only when I compare myself to other peoples results. The stats doctors release about the lapband say the 100 and 200lb losses are "not typical" so dont compare yourself to others, you never know what they are doing to lose weight that you may not be doing. I know for a fact I have never lost this much weight on my own and definitely could not have kept it off this long either so I know the band plays a part in my successes even though it wasn't quite what I initially expected from the band. Have you tried incorporating other weight loss regimens into your lifestyle- excercise, healthier eating habits alongside your smaller portions? I understand that you're capable of eating larger quantities at 4cc fill but that certainly doesn't mean you should be if losing weight is a strict goal for you. Have you tried going back on your liquid diet for a few days or a week to jumpstart your weight loss and break through your plateau? Revving up your workout routine? Don't give up! Even without the bands help you're still capable of reaching your goals with some discipline- easier said than done, I know! If the band is responsible for your 50lb loss and maintainence I would suggest keeping it in- it isn't hurting you but rather helping you so why go through another surgery just because you're frustrated? It seems the people who have the greatest and fastest results with the band do a complete lifestyle overhaul and don't just leave it up to the band so if you're looking for extreme results maybe think about some extreme effort. 50lb loss in 2 years could have easily been a 50lb gain so be proud of yourself!!! :D Best of luck & dont give up on yourself even if you've given up on your band.

Will they give you a fill at all? Many bandsters do get up to 7cc just to find their green zone. I don't see how they can come up with a one size fits all number where it would cause reflux. With me, I would be closed off at 7cc, but I have heard of many others that require more. (I am at 5.7cc right now) You may consider going to someone else for a fill or two before you go through surgery to have it removed. If you don't have proper restriction the band does not work properly.

What size is your band? If you only have 4cc there is a lot of room before you get to 7cc (3 cc's to be exact,:rolleyes: ) So why won't they put in 1 cc at a time? you could get to 6 and have perfect restriction!

If your doc won't help, I would suggest a second opinion. I believe doctors need to listen to their patients more, and trust that if a patient is saying something, then that's the facts!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Go in and have it looked at under Fluoroscope. They will see everything, and so will you......

Not painful at all, it;s like a x-ray machine and the whole thing shows up.

If they suspect a leak they can either take out the bad part, and replace it. or add a acrylic to your fill.

Then take you to your fill line.

That's what I had done, and NO regrets at all.

Once they see what's going on, and fix it. You will do much better...

But there is no way to see what's going on without the Fluoroscope.......

Unless they open you up ! And I would go for the scope first any day.

Thanks for all the feedback you guys! Very helpful. Yes, Shirley, they have suggested an Endoscopy but mainly b/c I have terrible pain in my left side under my left breast/rib area. But it's only after I eat so I KNOW it has to do with eating. I can take 2 bites and the pain is there I can eat a plate of food and the pain is there and then there are the times (which is 90% of the time) I never have pain. I do plan on having it done before I make the decision to remove the band or not. My family situation is very stressful right now and I have noone to take me home. I have to drive 60 miles to have it done. My husband doen't drive, my parents dont drive, my dad is very ill and I have been taking care of him for months now. NOT making excuses, just telling you the facts. I HONESTLY dont' have anyone to drive me home. I will work it out soon, I hope. There is a Bariatric Clinic opening up in our town and I hope to transfer to their services when they get established. Does anyone know if you can even change doctors? Are you given a hard time if you change? Or do you have to keep going to the surgeon that did you surgery? If I could have it done here I could take a cab home. There is a part of me that is scared to do the scope because they might find something wrong then the other part of me wants to know what the hell is going on. I am usually the type person who wants to KNOW what is going on so I can fix it. I just think I am putting myself on the back burner b/c my dad is so sick and I am the only family memeber who can help him and my Mother. They said the scope was not urgent so I took that and ran with it.......... :) I KNOW I KNOW....get it done. Sounds like I am talking to myself, doesn't it? LOL

First of all, I'm talking about a x-ray, not a scope down the pipe. So know pain involved at all......

2nd. I changed surgeons, and there the ones that told me about the machine..

I never heard of this before.

It is used as a X-RAY for Organs, so it pics up all of the band. A T.V. screen was available for them to see te band, and they had me look at what they were doing. This was totally painless. Then they filled me to my fill line.

I have been fine ever since.