Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar craving out of control!!

Please tell me what you all do to curb your sugar craving!! Mine is out of control..the sweets are calling me.

Or do you all have any snack recommendations?

I'm not gonna lie- it's hard. Harder at some times than others. The cravings will subside if you can manage to keep your sugar intake really low for, like, a solid week... but they still come back.

My favorite "good" snack when I want sweets is Emerald roasted almonds, in cinnamon and in cocoa. They're sweet and crunchy, high in Protein, low in carbs. They have some artificial sweetener in them, for sure, but it doesn't bother me. And the Protein in them helps me to feel satisfied when I eat them, instead of grabbing a handful of jelly Beans and then looking for something else to eat, and then something else...

This is what they look like.

010300303015.jpg

1 ounce is about 24 almonds... 150 calories, 5g protein, 3g of net carbs, 3g of Fiber.

I have to admit...I am a sugarholic, chocoholic, snackoholic...anything with sugar, fat, and chocolate. I wasn't doing well until my husband found some sugar free pudding that is chocolate, boston creme pie, and a mix of chocolate vanilla. It's 60 calories each with 3-6 grams of protien in each. The portion is right. I wouldn't have been able to do it without them. I've also enjoyed some sugar free popsicles. The boston creme pie pudding is the best as it has a chocolate top and the creme bottom. I know it's not something I can eat all day long, but it absolutely curves the cravings.

i have them during that time of the month. i was horrible this weekend, eating chocolate like crazy.

I'm a terrible sugar addict, anything cakey - cakes, muffins, Cookies, I just cant resist and I cant eat them in moderation. Sweets and lollies and Desserts I can say no to, but a full cookie tin and an empty afternoon at home spells disaster. So I dont keep the foods in my house.

Since costco opened in Melbourne, we've done a massive shop there once every four weeks or so. So far, in 18 months, I have never bought anything in the bakery section. The bread is certainly not like fresh bakery bread here so I dont need to go in there. But the Cookies (huuuuuuuuge) and they have these massive muffins, in trays of 24, I know that if I bought them just to try one - I would (and I can despite having a band) eat about six in a day long binge. So I just dont go there. I do enjoy baking, but I just dont do it, I cant even get the cake mix into the pan without already feeling sick from eating it.

the other thing that opened here a few years back is Krispy Kremes and thank GOODNESS those are just foul. They are not donuts - they are weird tasteless greasy pastry sort of things. I'm so glad theyre inedible!

I dont even try to substitute, it just doesnt cut it for me. I want what I want. So most of the time, I dig in, grit my teeth and resist. And accept that when I do decide to indulge, its going be a blow out. So I will skip lunch and dinner and eat cookies instead. Its terrible for me, I do it maybe once in every three months but I figure, it gets it out of my system, its VERY enjoyable (lol) and I'm not going to load up on the extra calories of a lunch and dinner that just for that day, I really dont need.

I've never found avoiding sugar reduces cravings, nor have I found that eating it makes me want more - I want it the same, all the time. I also run on coffee - I guess I've trained my body to need and want that instant energy and stimulation.

Most of the time, its just down to willpower. I have a cup of coffee instead - and thankfully, I'm not into sweet coffee - I just like it black with a dash of cold skim milk.

I know this sounds weird, but for me anything with mint in it helps. I usually grab something with dark chocolate and a really strong mint flavor. It's almost like your mouth can only handle so much menthol, so it kills the itch with a small amount. Try junior mints, Ghiradelli intense dark with mint flavor, things like that. I try to get 70%+ cocoa. However, I must note, this isn't the case for everyone. So try it with a small amount, if it doesn't work, move on...whatever you do, don't get addicted to junior mints. LOL!

Popsicles also help. I have trouble with fake sugars, so I get the 40 calorie Firecrackers.

And really, if all else fails, just accept the fact that you have to have a small amount everyday and factor it into your calorie count. I always need a pick me up for that 3pm lull, so I sort of plan my other meals/intakes around it. Having your meals planned and having a little something to look forward to helps.

Oh yeah, and turn off the TV!!! Those swirly chocolate candy comercials kill me when I am having a craving. ha ha!

I agree - plan for it. This is life, in the real world, not perfect nutrition. I try to eat whole foods, things that are as they were in nature, and avoid additives and such, but in the whole scheme of things - people smoke - take drugs - abuse alcohol - if you have a couple of Cookies or a chocolate bar at 3pm every day, what does it really matter?

Extra's Dessert Delight chewing gum helps me. The mint chocolate chip is really yummy! It tastes just like a Thin Mint girl scout cookie. They also have a an orange cream flavor. It's very yummy too!