Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous...Slipping back into bad HABITS!!

I'm 31/2 weeks post op and I'm getting nervous about slipping back into bad habits. I have my appetitie back and that makes me nervous! I don't want to lose track of my goals but I'm starting to crave the old sugar and fatty foods. During the week, I'm so consistent and on track with exercise and Protein and once this weekend came around I slipped into eating some bad foods. This was my first weekend that I had a glass of wine and had some fried foods. I stepped on the scale and gained 4 pounds and now I'm scared straight. I need some encouragement to stay on track on my weekends and not lose sight of the goal. I have my first fill on the 14th of October and I'm really looking forward to it.

slips are going to happen. just learn to not beat yourself up over it. you are in this for the long haul and in the grand scheme of eternity, 4 pounds is nothing. just eat your Protein and do what you need to do. if you feel like you need to have wine or chocolate or whathaveyou every once in a while, then enjoy it, but then go right back to doing what you need to do. you can't live on the band forever denying yourself of things you enjoy. so if you slip, enjoy a little bit of something. it's better than denying yourself and then caving in and eating all of something.

you'll be fine.

I'm the same as you, I was banded the 7th of this month and I've slipped up really bad this weekend! I beat myself up about it, but I got my head straight and went back into diet mode. I'm craving sugar and junk but I keep telling myself no! I remember the feeling when I was losing all the weight and my old clothes were fitting! Don't worry yourself! Just stay positive! Instead of sugary candies Cookies, I eat Jello or yogurt. Or sugarfree popsicles. It gives the same feeling and you won't regret it!

Good luck!!!

No worries you're still early in the game!! The band takes a long time to get to use to as does any lifestyle change. Over eating is an addictive behavior as is smoking or drinking-- and nobody expects them to change over night even with the patch so there's no reason us bandsters should expect to totally change instantly after being banded with no slip ups, its a tool not a cure.;) Not to mention there's no telling if thats Water weight or muscle mass gain so don't beat yourself up. Just stay the course and stay positive! Try not to watch the scale as much as you note the changes in yourself as the scale is sometimes not as accurate to what your real effort is. I have found myself stuck in the same range for the last few weeks and feeling discouraged and just coming on here is inspiring and motivating enough to make me push away the Cookies I bought over the weekend. :D Best of luck to you!

I've been on "DIETS" since I was 15yrs old, I'm now 31. I failed at every diet I've ever been on, I believe the main reason for this was deprivation. I'd quit all the "bad" foods cold turkey only to lose my mind while losing large amounts of weight only to "slip" and devour everything that was deep fried or covered in cholocate. Then I'd just give up on myself, and gain all the weight back and then some. I did this over and over again for as long as I can remember..

I've been banded almost 10 months, I do not deprive myself of anything. I've been losing consitantly, slowly but consitantly, and it works for me. I cut out alot for the most part. But the foods I have cut out are mostly carby filler foods that just take up space and keep me from eating my Protein, and to be honest I hardly even want to eat them anymore anyway.

When it comes to my cravings (or my old habits coming back), I feed them, but in very small amounts. If I feel I need McDonalds, (which was my drug of choice, that and any other fast food) I'll have it, but maybe only a few chicken nuggets or just the meat off a cheese burger and 4 or 5 french fries. This will kill my craving, I physically cannot over do it because my band keeps me from it. But I do have some days when my band is easier than other days to "eat around" so I have to know how to limit myself. I do not keep junk food in my house, if I feel I need to eat crap like chips, chocolate or ice cream I'll buy a small bag or just a serving of it, have it and move on and continue to exercise and eat well the majority of the time.

I understand everyone is different, and this may not work for everyone, but I am a true believer in having everything in moderation. Thinking back, deprivation was what got me to my heaviest weight, it caused me to lose my mind and over do it when "cheating" on diets. Now I'm satisfied, I can control my craving and I'm still losing weight. My advice to you would be not to beat yourself up about having some "slips" , it's ok to enjoy "bad" food on occasion, just not in outrageous amounts and not everyday. Stay motivated, exercise as much as you can and never forget why you got banded.. Good luck!

I'm 31/2 weeks post op and I'm getting nervous about slipping back into bad habits. I have my appetitie back and that makes me nervous! I don't want to lose track of my goals but I'm starting to crave the old sugar and fatty foods. During the week, I'm so consistent and on track with exercise and Protein and once this weekend came around I slipped into eating some bad foods. This was my first weekend that I had a glass of wine and had some fried foods. I stepped on the scale and gained 4 pounds and now I'm scared straight. I need some encouragement to stay on track on my weekends and not lose sight of the goal. I have my first fill on the 14th of October and I'm really looking forward to it.

I feel the same way but I think it's because we haven't had a fill yet. We have no resetriction right now. I was banded 8/22 and my first fill is tomorrow (thank goodness). I think that once we start to feel some restriction it will get at least a little easier.

I feel like I'm in BIG trouble right now. I got real food for the first time this weekend, I felt like that opened the door to eat everything I've been craving for the past 6 weeks. I ate so much this weekend that it scares me and I had absolutely no problem doing it. I'm trying to get my head out of my butt so I don't gain everything I've lost back in a week, but I'm getting really mad at myself because it appears to be stuck up there. I know that I'm the only one who can restrain myself, but boy do I need some help now. I would not have needed the band if I had better self control. For me it's not sugary things, it's Mexican and Italian foods, and I'm not satisfied with a small taste - I have to stuff myself until I hurt. How do I get myself under control?? My first fill is not until 10/27!

Victoria, that was great advice...at least for me. That sounds like me completely, and I am also 31. I have been on weight watchers a few too many times, and lost weight only to feel deprived and gain it back plus more. You have given me new hope!

Thank you Jess. We're all in this together and just have to be patient and find what works for us. I can see now what my mistakes were and I'm trying to fix them. I'm not perfect at this and some days are a struggle, some aren't. But anything that's worth it, is never easy. :) And btw, I've been on Weight Watchers at least 6 or 7 times lol, it works but I'd always lose my mind and eat everything in site after a while. I definitely needed my band to keep my cravings under control or at least give me alot less space to pack it in when I indulge a bit.

I think the hardest part is in the beginning... its natural to still have cravings, plus you don't have the restriction yet. It took until my 3rd fill to finally really feel the restriction which made me not want to over eat or I would be uncomfortable. I still get certain cravings and will go give into the craving, but I usually only need two bites to be satisfied and move on. As time has gone by the cravings get less and less. I used to love bread and crave it, but now its the last thing I desire. Just be patient, stay disciplined and you will be fine, but every now and then treat yourself to a few bites of what you crave. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I feel much better hearing that I'm not the only one that is having some issues with eating. I do believe that it's that special time of the month for me and I know that sugar and salt is craved. UGH!! I will continue to think before I eat but I really can't wait until my first fill next Friday on the Oct. 14th!