Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

portion control pre surgery

I am currently getting ready to have surgery on oct 20th and i was wondering if anyone was really good with Portion Control before surgery and worked out on a regular basis and didn't lose weight. Then had lap band done and lost the weight after surgery. I'm just wondering if the band will truly help me. I have been very good about portion control and how many calories and how much fat i eat. i exercise on a regular basis and haven't lost weight. The band is my last hope. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

My question would be what do you mean by regulary? I know my situation does match your question but I will tell you anyway. I had been exercising 6-7 days per week for a year prior to my consult with the surgeon and had lost 35 pounds. Due to health issues I had to wait 7.5 month from consult to surgery. During that time I continued to exercise every day and be very conservative with my diet; and lost 50 pounds. After surgery ih a little over a year I have lost 53 pounds; so on the low end of the 1-2 pounds per week. I think I have lost slowly because I had already lost 85 pounds; and my body was'nt shocked by the low level of calories post surgery. Have you had mindful eating or therapy sessions on food addiction? I had always been a low fat dieter. What I learned in my mindful eating sessions was that I was compulsive carbs eater. Meaning I would eat 1/2 a box of kids cereal; and think that was okay because it had very low fat. Also I would have 3-4 bags of low fat carb Snacks at all times in my house. Again because they were low fat I would easily eat 5-6 servings at a time. The time I had to wait for surgery was really good for me (thought at the time I did'nt think so!!!!); because I had to reevaluate my eating habits.

My question would be what do you mean by regulary? I know my situation does match your question but I will tell you anyway. I had been exercising 6-7 days per week for a year prior to my consult with the surgeon and had lost 35 pounds. Due to health issues I had to wait 7.5 month from consult to surgery. During that time I continued to exercise every day and be very conservative with my diet; and lost 50 pounds. After surgery ih a little over a year I have lost 53 pounds; so on the low end of the 1-2 pounds per week. I think I have lost slowly because I had already lost 85 pounds; and my body was'nt shocked by the low level of calories post surgery. Have you had mindful eating or therapy sessions on food addiction? I had always been a low fat dieter. What I learned in my mindful eating sessions was that I was compulsive carbs eater. Meaning I would eat 1/2 a box of kids cereal; and think that was okay because it had very low fat. Also I would have 3-4 bags of low fat carb Snacks at all times in my house. Again because they were low fat I would easily eat 5-6 servings at a time. The time I had to wait for surgery was really good for me (thought at the time I did'nt think so!!!!); because I had to reevaluate my eating habits.

I exercise 6 days a week doing kickboxing yoga and zumba. I don't eat many carbs I have sugar free carnation instant Breakfast every day. I don't eat Snacks and eat very small meals. I eat under 1200 calories a day. In a year I lost 8 pounds. I hardly have sugar at all. So I'm not sure what will happen after the band

If you're really careful with calorie control there's just no way you won't lose weight

I lost 30 lbs pre-surgery with keeping my calories to about 1200 a day. I was really

hungry for a while, but that gradually lessened with time. If you are really honest

with yourself and write down everything that you eat, you'll have to loose weight.

I know it's not easy, but good things seldom are. Best of luck to you.

If you are really positive that you DO eat less than 1200 a day - really being honest with yourself - and you are exercising - and not just moving around but really work up a sweat exercising - and you've lost 8lb in a year then truthully, I would be investigating that thoroughly before i got banded. Banding wont change anything physiologically about your body, you wont suddenly lose doing the same things as you are doing now just because the band is there. Banding works becuase it makes us change our food and eating behaviours. If yours are already pretty faultless and you're not losing weight, then banding isnt goign to be a miracle.

I hate that people are so sceptical when others post that they're already dieting and not losing but the questions you need to ask is are you sure its 1200 or less, do you do this week in week out, month in month out or sporadically, do you have off track days etc. Because I was able to lose all my weight on 1500 calories a day,

However its entirely true that our bodies just dont behave like the charts say they would. I'm 5ft 10, 140lb so in the scheme of things, I'm a fairly large woman and should have a larger calorie need than a more average sized 5ft 3 woman. I either run 8kms go to spin classes or do sandbag training and I throw in a couple of body pump classes a week most often. I've got 3 kids, I'm a teacher so I'm on my feet, movign around all day. And now I maintain my weight on 1500 calories a day. According to the charts, I shoud be losing 2lb a week at that level, but patently Im not. However my 1500 is mental estimation, I do have days where I blow out, go out, have a few wines etc. So its probably on average more like 1800 a day.