Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Is A Wake Up Call!

I know that everyone knows this...

You have to make up what you want to do and what you want out of your life. The decision to change is up to you and you alone. No matter how much bitching or support or whatever we get from others, you have to make up your mind to do it!

That is what I tell myself every morning.

Nykee :wave: -

Have you ever read the book "Potatos not Prozac"?

I'm not finished reading it yet, but the nurse who wrote it equates sugar sensitivity to alcoholism (her specialty was working with alcoholics and stumbled on the connection to sugar sensitivity by accident).

I thought it was very interesting, and from reading your past eating habits and current food logs I wouldn't be surprised if you have sugar sensitivity in a big way.

(((hugs)))

Donali, I am looking up that book right now.. I already know its absolutely true.. But I would to read about it, get some insight..

Ya know, I dieted for over a decade all focused on LOW FAT.. I mean i bought some low suger foods..

BUt I didnt know ANYTHING about carbs and how cutting sugar, CAN LEAD to fat loss.. until about 2 years ago.

I was totally ignorant about that for a long long time and honestly I could still use all the information as I can get..

THANK YOU!

I ordered the one called

Potatoes Not Prozac: How to Control Depression, food Cravings and Weight Gain...

Sounds real good!@

thanks again

Hiya Nykee, Wow.. I'm amazed at what this thread just did for you. It must have touched in a very big way. And I can tell it wasn't all good, but I think the release was and what you did was awesome. You opened up and talked about the problem honestly and frankly.. and out of that someone was able to help you identify what might be the core of your struggle. And that is awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to trigger with this thread. For us all to look at ourselves and really examine the why behind the struggle!

I do think you took much of this as a direct aim at you, and trust me it was NOT. There are many here who post about their food everyday and many who are upset at their slow weight loss. This was not about you, but it did strike a nerve and maybe that's a good thing. (I mean that in the most sincere way) We all learned from your posts and I really hope it was a good release for you as well.

You also have my promise that I was not talking about you when I mentioned eating beyond the band to the point of PBs and band damage or illness. I have seen people posting about how they ate a huge quantity of foods that we all know are 'iffy' for us bandsters anyway, then they end up sick as hell and upset and confused about why? Or they talk about the huge quantity they can fit in their stomach and ask if they need a fill. This frustrates me because I get afraid for them. I want to shake them and yell, 'Stop that! Youre going to hurt yourself.'

And as for my comment about starting the posts with "I dont want to change, I just want sympathy".. well that was not for you either sweetie. It was for the ones who really needed to hear it and they know who they are. You never, not once, not even fleetingly, crossed my mind in this entire thread. You have my word on that.

Thank you for sharing all of those deep and sincere feelings. It touched me in a big way. *great big hug*

Hiya Nykee, Wow.. I'm amazed at what this thread just did for you.

>>>lol, I know.. It made me think alot and it got my defenses up, witch is always a good way to look at your self and see how your feeling.... It was good for me.. Thank you for starting it.

It must have touched in a very big way. And I can tell it wasn't all good, but I think the release was and what you did was awesome. You opened up and talked about the problem honestly and frankly..

Yeah, I realized that in my food log's, I dont always explain everthing.. I do them for me and I already know about me.. so I realized how I might be better served saying more.. BUT sheesh I already say so much sometimes.. lol

and out of that someone was able to help you identify what might be the core of your struggle. And that is awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to trigger with this thread. For us all to look at ourselves and really examine the why behind the struggle!

>>>>yep, always a good idea.. I felt alittle low for a couple hours and NOw I feel really happy. I AM EVEN going to the YMCA to aqua fitness and I think for sure its because of my bit of drama today.. I dont like to look at my old habits, much less post them, share them, admit them.... but in doing so, I kinda feel better about my current food logs,, I had really been beating my self up every night for my lacks..

I do think you took much of this as a direct aim at you, and trust me it was NOT. There are many here who post about their food everyday and many who are upset at their slow weight loss.

>>>Yeah.. I am a selfish poster... I really dont get around much. There are jsut so many people here.

This was not about you, but it did strike a nerve and maybe that's a good thing. (I mean that in the most sincere way) We all learned from your posts and I really hope it was a good release for you as well.

>>>yes

You also have my promise that I was not talking about you when I mentioned eating beyond the band to the point of PBs and band damage or illness.

>>>Good, I just wanted to be real clear about that to anyone.. its one thing I am extremely proud of myself for with this band journey.

I have seen people posting about how they ate a huge quantity of foods that we all know are 'iffy' for us bandsters anyway, then they end up sick as hell and upset and confused about why?

>>>Truefully, that unerves me but I am glad they post it, and it reafirms that I am not the worst bandster in the whole wide world like sometimes I think I am.. we all have our struggles with different things..

Or they talk about the huge quantity they can fit in their stomach and ask if they need a fill. This frustrates me because I get afraid for them. I want to shake them and yell, 'Stop that! Youre going to hurt yourself.'

>>>yeah.. I have to remember that just cuz I am really good at this issue about the band... That doesnt mean anyone can, i have my things I cant control and lots of people cant seem to control that.. I assume if they could control it, they would or at leaste they are trying.

And as for my comment about starting the posts with "I dont want to change, I just want sympathy".. well that was not for you either sweetie.

>>>OK, I have admitted alot today to being defensive.. and the defensiveness has come out becasue of MY STUFF, its all about me.. NOT about what was said by the other posters so much... I recognize that.

It was for the ones who really needed to hear it and they know who they are. You never, not once, not even fleetingly, crossed my mind in this entire thread. You have my word on that.

Thank you for sharing all of those deep and sincere feelings. It touched me in a big way. *great big hug*

>>>gooood.. I am glad..THANKs again for being a strong and caring person.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Wow... you go out for surgery and stay away for a bit, and look at the stuff that goes on...

Reverting to the original question of why people abuse themselves and then wonder why the band isn't working - I have to go with the addiction thing.

I was riding home from my surgery and my HEAD told me I wanted a cheeseburger. My Sanity argued "A WHAT!?!? Are you Flipping Insane?!?! You JUST had weightloss surgery. Your body is in shock. You cannot possibly be hungry right now. It is physically impossible!!!" My Head whined "But I WANT one... I want one right now! NOOOOOOWWWWW!."

Thankfully, my Sanity was tougher than my head at that moment - that and the fact that I was NOT going to ask my DH to stop for a cheeseburger. He would have had me locked up. But what if my Head had been stronger? What if my Sanity had still be doped up? What if I had been alone at home with the phone and the pizza company on speed-dial?

These are the thoughts that keep me coming back here and keep my aware of the fact that Head Hunger and food Addiction are out there waiting to get me.

Part of me seriously wanted that cheeseburger. And that is just crazy.

Rene,

Don't feel bad I had the same thoughts when I got home from the hospital. Everyone else who had surgery that day thought I was crazy and since I was the only one I agreed! I now know that head hunger is one strong M**** F******. LOL

Glad you are the losing side and doing well!

Nykee,

I wasn't writing about you here, but you are backing up the point I made. It is not just about the surgery. If it is OK to get a book to help, then why did what I say seem to offend?

I think you can do it. Getting the surgery took a lot of guts, Tons of courage and commitment, I'm just saying that that commitment shouldn't end with the surgery. I know folks say that they have done diets before, etc., but this is not the same as any other diet. Unless you have done the Lapband before, then you need to look at this differently.

If you don't think I understand what you are going through, I think you need to go back and look at my start weight... I was pushing 400 lbs, I am in the same boat. I DO understand.

If you think it is easy for me, it is not. I fight everyday, and like you, it is constantly on my mind, and I choose to fight. So do you, that is why you have done soooooo well! I'm proud of you, and you should be too.

I am sorry you took my remarks as a negative, I meant it to be encouraging. I think too many of us have spent our "dieting" lives addressing only one aspect of our weight problems, instead of addressing the fact that there are multiple factors that have gotten us to this level. That is the point I am trying to make. If a book (potatoes to prozak) helps, great, but it seems to me that that is no different than what I was saying before about getting help beyond the surgery. You ARE doing that, and should be proud of your accomplshments.

I am shutting up now. I will make no further comments on this topic, as it seems I am being misconstrued, and it is being taken by many as a criticism of their weight loss journeys. I simply meant to support.

Shhhhhh from me.

P

That is the point I am trying to make. If a book (potatoes to prozak) helps, great, but it seems to me that that is no different than what I was saying before about getting help beyond the surgery.

Yes, I agree with that. I think we all DO need help beyond the surgery. That help may or may not include the surgeon's office. There are so many variations among individuals it's really impossible to predict what will be the best, most motivating help for someone. We all need to be vigilant in finding what works best for us.

Gosh Paul, I sure WISH potatoes helped!!

(with butter, mmmmmmm.....)

So I went to the doctor today (not band related).. and this male LPN comes in and we start talking about eating and dieting. He tells me that all of his family is fat and he got over 200 pounds and decided he wasn't going to let himself go any further. He proceeded to tell me about how he approached weight loss and how he talks to their patients about weight loss or quitting smoking. He tells me all about his theory that complete denial of things we are addicted to is settting us up for failure. I grinned, thinking about this thread. Then he goes on to say that he smokes and wants to quit. He is down to 3 or 4 cigarettes a day now. He said there are some who still fuss at him for that but he believes that for him, he's doing great. He talked about behavior modification. Taking small steps which eventually grow into bigger ones. He said he started losing weight by cutting out only one thing he knew was hurting his health - lattes (400 calories each). As he began to lose weight, he cut out a few more things then began exercising. He looked like he weighed about 160 - very fit, white hair but looked younger. He now works out at the gym every mornign at 5:30 am, THEN goes for a run, then comes home and downs a 2,300 calorie Protein Shake. Then he eats a LOT during the rest of the day. His body and metabolism have adjusted to his new healthier lifestyle so he needs to eat more to keep the muscles from being lost with all of the excercise he's doing.

Anyway.. that was all interesting but what really got me, and I just had to share it with all of you who have been keeping up with this thread, is when he said, "Everyone has their opinion about my smoking and they did about my eating too.. so I just don't tell people what I'm doing now. And if they still make comments, I just hold up my hand, (he held up his hand with all fingers pointing upward) and then I tell them to read between the lines.

Well, I busted up laughing because I thought.. ok ok.. I get this! God sure has a sense of humor, doesnt He? This guy knew nothing about me, our thread, my feelings on the subject.. notta. Yet, I still heard what I needed to hear. *laughs*

I knew that would make you smile. ;)

Paul)

I didnt mean to imply that I thought anything you said was wrong.

I meant that many of us (me included) have done all those things, continue to do those things (such as I ordered that book and cant wait to read it and educate my self as much as I can) and will continue to do all those things.. regarless if we got the band now or not.

I thought your suggestions were great.. and real and true and completely sound..

I just felt, when I read it. That you thought people were getting the band and NOT doing any thing else.. and I wanted to point out that wasnt true, not in MY case anyway.

I don't know about everyone else, but I had a cheeseburger not too long after WLS. The experience made me swear off cheeseburgers. Not a bad result IMHO.