Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering about the "full" feeling after surgery. What does it REALLY feel like?

Hello everyone!

I am hopefully going to do the lapband (yay!)

but i am wondering about the "full" feeling after eating. The doctor who i met with has said that the feeling of fullness will not be what i'm used to, and i won't feel it where i'm used to feeling it.

Can someone please fill me in as to how this will feel? is this new fullness a sensation that i'll have to get used to? Will i never feel satisfied like i'm used to?

Thanks in advance for all input

Hanna

P.S.

If this has been discussed elsewhere please post the link, i just didnt see it discussed

I am recently banded and my full feeling is the same as it was before I was banded. The one thing I have noticed is I get full faster. It is really easy to over eat because you get full alot quicker. I have learned to eat small amounts and wait about 10 to 15 minutes before I try to eat again. Most times you never go back because you are full. Different things work for different people. You will probably experience many different feelings before you find what works for you. Mainly just make sure you listen to your body. Good luck on your journey

I am recently banded and my full feeling is the same as it was before I was banded. The one thing I have noticed is I get full faster. It is really easy to over eat because you get full alot quicker. I have learned to eat small amounts and wait about 10 to 15 minutes before I try to eat again. Most times you never go back because you are full. Different things work for different people. You will probably experience many different feelings before you find what works for you. Mainly just make sure you listen to your body. Good luck on your journey

Really your full feeling is the same as before???

I thought it was different!

Thanks for your input

I have the bad habit of waiting last minute when I'm hungry and then trying to eat..not a good thing. I think planned meals are the way to go & lots of Water.< /p>

I was banded 3 weeks now and compared to how much I ate before this is amazing! I use to be able to eat about 3 cans of tuna in one sandwich, now I can't even get half a can down without being full. It lasts for me 4 hours and I'm hungry again. But now my life doesn't revolve around food and I can lose weight!

Ya know, it changes for me. Sometimes I'm full like I was before... And sometimes I'm just really satisfied... As in not "full" but not hungry. And that feeling lasts about 4-5 hours for me. I usually know when I'm "full" because I get tired/bored with eating. I was afraid before surgery that I would be hungry all the time but I'm not at all. I get full on about 1-1/2 cups of food and I eat that about 3-4 times a day. It's awesome. I've lost 44 lbs since my highest weight before surgery. I'm down from a size 26 to a size 20. And I'm feeling better everyday.

I wish you the best of luck! Please feel free to message me with an questions if you have any :-) I'm pretty new to this lifestyle- 2 months tomorrow...

Ya know, it changes for me. Sometimes I'm full like I was before... And sometimes I'm just really satisfied... As in not "full" but not hungry. And that feeling lasts about 4-5 hours for me. I usually know when I'm "full" because I get tired/bored with eating. I was afraid before surgery that I would be hungry all the time but I'm not at all. I get full on about 1-1/2 cups of food and I eat that about 3-4 times a day. It's awesome. I've lost 44 lbs since my highest weight before surgery. I'm down from a size 26 to a size 20. And I'm feeling better everyday.

I wish you the best of luck! Please feel free to message me with an questions if you have any :-) I'm pretty new to this lifestyle- 2 months tomorrow...

Congrats on going down all those dress sizes!!

I'm scared that if i dont actually feel "full" like i'm used to, then i'll just keep eating :( what if this "really satisfied" feeling isn't enough for me? Maybe i'm just worrying for nothing??

After banding you don't normally feel in your stomach. The feeling is normally higher up in the chest. If you overeat it can be really painful whereas previously you would have just felt "stuffed"

Yes you will feel satisfied but you don't get that OMG I can't believe I have eaten so much I can't move kind of feeling.

So true. Which to me, is better. I hated that OMG I feel disgusting feeling. This is so much better!

Yes you will feel satisfied but you don't get that OMG I can't believe I have eaten so much I can't move kind of feeling.

Like elcee said, if you overeat you'll regret it. You really have to learn to listen to your body. If I allowed myself, I could probably eat all day long. But you have to make good choices. You'll learn the tricks- I always ask myself "am I really hungry or is my head hungry?", measure your food out if you need to, don't go back for seconds. learn to eat tons of protein- that keeps you satisfied longer. Eat food with some "weight" to it. That seems to stay in my tummy longer. Don't eat foods that will just pass through your band quickly- chips, ice cream.. Stuff like that. Try not to snack. Drink plenty of Fluid... All of these things make you stay satisfied. You'll learn :-) and don't worry about worrying too much haha. I had so many questions before be banded... And still do sometimes. But you really do catch on. This forum has taught me so much!

Oh and thanks on the congrats!

Congrats on going down all those dress sizes!!

I'm scared that if i dont actually feel "full" like i'm used to, then i'll just keep eating :( what if this "really satisfied" feeling isn't enough for me? Maybe i'm just worrying for nothing??

I guess everyone is a little different. I feel full all of the time. It's not the old way of feeling stuffed, but it is more of having no interest, or urgency, to eat.

Most of the time I don't feel like I need, or want to eat. But I do because it is the thing to do.

Last summer, I went entire days without eating at all. Not intentionally, but after having a good Protein shake for Breakfast, would then go to a ball game, the beach, etc, where food was simply not

on my mind at all, and I did not go crazy without it.

2nd, when I do eat, food will pass through my band slowly, and it does not take long before I just cannot eat anymore or it will come back up, and/or it can really hurt.

Lesson to be learned and avoided: I know , when this happens, I can put the fork down, wait 20 minutes, and then continue eating all over again. You have to stop

the first time otherwise you are "cheating the band" and overeating for no good reason.

Hello everyone!

but i am wondering about the "full" feeling after eating. The doctor who i met with has said that the feeling of fullness will not be what i'm used to, and i won't feel it where i'm used to feeling it.

Can someone please fill me in as to how this will feel? is this new fullness a sensation that i'll have to get used to? Will i never feel satisfied like i'm used to?

Hanna

P.S.

If this has been discussed elsewhere please post the link, i just didnt see it discussed

[/quot

Hi: I was banded 2 mos ago and I do get a full sensation all the way up to my throat. When this happens I know I must stop eating. I wait until it passes and if I am still hungry I try to eat again. Usually when this happens I just stop. It seems I am satisfied at that point or maybe just afraid to continue. Once or twice it really have me a stuck sensation but passed within 10 minutes with the help of papaya pills which I carry with me at all times. I am still learning how to use the band.....but I can tell you it really works. This is without a fill. CAT

This was something I learned shortly after being banded an I was never told before so kudos to your doc for telling you! The lack of feeling full made me really think about how I use to eat, one of the major reasons I have always been overweight is because I always ate to the point of uncomforted or "full" the band is not there to slap you on the wrist it's there to teach you how to eat until the point of not being hungry or satisfied. It's very difficult when the food is extra yummy or you haven't planned and you are starving but I have learned that a normal meal can now be 3 or 4 for me so I have it wrapped up and enjoy it a few times. Or my hubby gets it if I can't control myself from picking ambit waiting for the waiter.

The trick is that just because you CAN eat more doesn't mean you should especially if your already satisfied and you know another bite could lead to being sick or even worse a slip! So eat slowly take small bites (the bigger the bite the less likely you will be to really chew it) take time between bites (put the fork down really chew than cut the next piece) and you will be really surprised!

Good luck! After a while you won't even miss that feeling!

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Much appreciated!

It still seems hard to wrap my mind around this feeling. It is a totally different feeling that before I was banded. I think I tried eating until I got to that same point which is probably what contributed to my slipped band that I had to have repaired.

Hello everyone!

Hanna

P.S.

Ok, here goes.

The band stimulates a nerve and sends a signal to your brain, telling your brain that you are full, and you don't - can't eat anymore.

But in reality you have not eaten anything all day! So physically you're not full, but you brain keeps telling you are.

Have you ever eaten so much that you say something like "I'm so full I can't even look at another slice of cake!"

Well, that's kind of what it is.

Most days, I don't have any interest in food. If I am out doing something all day, I have gone full 24hr without anything but Water and maybe small Snacks, and never bothered me. My brain is telling me "I'm Full...I don't have to eat" I completely forget about food.< /p>

There are days I have to keep reminding myself I NEED to eat.

This also takes care of all those cravings you may have, let alone your appetite.

This is why when people say it is a struggle, all I can think is that they are not at that place yet, OR they don't know how to recognize it and learn to work with it.

Bottom Line....IT IS NOT A FEELING (of being full) BUT A MENTAL STATE! (lack of interest)

And oh yes...your tastes will definitely change also. Just wait and see. Things that you could never get enough of will turn you completely off.