Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else get bad heartburn after first fill?

Hi All,

I just had my first fill on Wed (3cc) which I do not feel is restricting my food intake as much as I thought it would, but I am still eating very cautiously. However, I am having major discomfort, some pain in the abdomen and really BAD heartburn that even keeps me up at night, including burps that sting!

Anyone else have this experience? I tried tums and Aciphex and neither have helped. Any suggestions, ideas, and experience you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

JoJo

For me, whenever I have gotten a fill that gives me good restriction, I have also got bad heartburn...its shocking how painful it can be, even waking me up! Anyway I take Protonix these days and usually never eat after 6pm. If I do any night snacking at all I take some Pepto before bed or I know I am going to wake up with chest pain that feels like a heart attack but is really reflux!

Its all worth it and usually after I lose a few pounds my restriction loosens up and the heartburn resolves, or at least to the point of being totally asymptomatic with Protonix.

My Surgeon put us all on Pepcid Complete chewable.< /p>

There are probably better brands like Omeprazole, but the pepcid complete works.

Lately I cant find the chewable Pepcids which I had really liked. There are a lot of generic versions of it that taste bad! Oh well not that big of a deal I guess...

I've had heartburn since surgery. I take tums when it's bad and that always fixes it for me. I've yet to have a fill(2 months since surgery) but im losing about 3 lbs a week so I don't need one yet, I do get those painful burps all the time too... But my doctor said that was common. If it gets worse I should let him know.

For some reason the Tums isn't working for me and I think I'll go get the chewable Pepcids today.

On a side note: Wow! 3lbs a week is so awesome! Congrats. Do you mind sharing if you do the low fat, low carb diet and whether you count calories, Protein grams or something else?

I'm doing OK but still confused about what I should be counting and feeling like I'm not eating enough, though I'm working out a lot so I'm hungry often. My Dr. gave me a fill even though I had lost 22lbs at my 1 month visit. He didn't even ask...

Thanks again for sharing!

JoJo

I've had heartburn since surgery. I take tums when it's bad and that always fixes it for me. I've yet to have a fill(2 months since surgery) but im losing about 3 lbs a week so I don't need one yet, I do get those painful burps all the time too... But my doctor said that was common. If it gets worse I should let him know.

i USE TO TAKE 1 IN THE MORNING, AND 1 AT NIGHT, IT HELPED ! ! !

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU.

Hey thanks! You're doing awesome too! 22 lbs in a month?? That's nearly twice as fast as me! Great job!

I count calories mainly. I stick under 1200 a day. And I also count Protein. I usually eat around 70-80 but try to be at least above 60. I'm not a low carb fan.... I eat starches... I just eat everything in moderation and make better choices than i use to. I buy low carb tortillas if im having mexican food... Ya know, stuff like that. I keep record of all my food intake on myfitnesspal.com it's awesome. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for sharing! I am on myfitnesspal (username jrom22 if you want to add me as a friend :) I agree it is super-helpful.

I am with you on the not being a low carb fan, but my dr's instructions are basically no carbs other than some fruit and veggie type stuff until I hit my weight goal, so I feel very conflicted... I don't want to feel like I'm "cheating" but I don't like to feel so restricted by the dr's diet. For me, that wasn't the point of getting banded--it was to eat smaller portions and make smart choices but not feel deprived. Also, even though I had my first fill, and I'm having this wicked heartburn, I don't feel a restriction. I am able to eat 4-5oz of fish for example, plus veggies and still feel hungry so I'm mostly controlling and measuring my portions and working out a lot.

Hey thanks! You're doing awesome too! 22 lbs in a month?? That's nearly twice as fast as me! Great job!

I count calories mainly. I stick under 1200 a day. And I also count Protein. I usually eat around 70-80 but try to be at least above 60. I'm not a low carb fan.... I eat starches... I just eat everything in moderation and make better choices than i use to. I buy low carb tortillas if im having mexican food... Ya know, stuff like that. I keep record of all my food intake on myfitnesspal.com it's awesome. I highly recommend it.