Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3-week liquid postop course?

I was banded on Feb. 2!! I'm excited, but a little surprised at how much I am thinking about food (!). Might be some correlation between that and my needing surgery! :) I guess in the excitment of everything, I assumed one could eat things such as mased taters, creamed Soups, or noodles well chewed, but according to my surgeon, I am to be on 3 weeks of Clear liquids. I hope I can do it!! I'm drinking Water and Protein Shakes a little chicken broth right now, but am curious as to how many actually stay on liquids for 3 weeks?!

Thanks,

Kelli

I was banded on Feb. 2!! I'm excited, but a little surprised at how much I am thinking about food (!). Might be some correlation between that and my needing surgery! :) I guess in the excitment of everything, I assumed one could eat things such as mased taters, creamed Soups, or noodles well chewed, but according to my surgeon, I am to be on 3 weeks of Clear Liquids. I hope I can do it!! I'm drinking Water and Protein shakes a little chicken broth right now, but am curious as to how many actually stay on liquids for 3 weeks?!

Thanks,

Kelli

i was on clear's for two weeks then super soft foods for two more then on to regular food as i could handle it.

there were times i couldve eaten the wallboard off the wall i was so hungry. I settled for the juice.

Hi Kelli,

I hope your doctor told you how important it is to stay on liquids for at least a couple of weeks after surgery. I don't know about clear liquids for all that time, necessarily, but it is VERY important that the stomach not be asked to work to pass food through the stoma while you're still healing. It could lead to trouble down the road. Most doctors allow people to go on to mushy foods by week 3 or so, but if your doc has a different protocol you should follow it.

But I do wonder about the three weeks of clears; that sounds a bit more stringent than necessary. Is it possible that you were given the RNY postop diet by mistake? A typical bandster postop diet is more like one week of clears, two weeks of fulls (anything liquid or blenderized) and then on to soft foods. By the end of week 4 or 5 I think most bandsters are on regular food.< /p>

In any event, it's really important not to push it. If you are truly starving, that's a good sign and means you're healing up. Clear it with your doctor first, but you can easily stay satisfied on milk-based Protein drinks and protein-rich Soups. And when you actially do get to the mushy stage, think how wonderful that yogurt or hummus is going to taste! :)

Congratulations on your banding!!

Hey Kelli! Same situation here. I had my surgery on February 3rd and I am STARVING!!! No real food since Thursday has been quite a challenge. I was under the impression that you wouldn't be hungry for a few weeks afer. That was so not the case for me. The broth seems to work best, but anything I eat runs right through me. Good luck and keep in touch

I was wondering if he gave me the bypass instructions versus the lapband, but I guess that is what they recommend, 3 weeks of clear liquids. I'm curious to see how many bandsters have stayed on clears for a full 3 weeks? It does say, in my postop literature, that I may have milkshakes, just not too many! LOL. Thanks for the replies!

Kelli

Kelli, that was my wife's treat for doing well with everything else, almost every evening I would drive her thru the Sonic and get her a small vanilla shake. Just remember that right now your job is to heal.

Most importantly... FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR's INSTRUCTIONS.

If he wants you to do it for 3 weeks... DO IT FOR 3 WEEKS.

Don't override his instructions based on what someone here told you that they did. He has his reasons for this, follow them and you will do well.

Wow! I have not heard about the milkshake thing. Have you tried it? Does it go down well? I'm debating trying the baby food route... have you tried anything other than clears yet?

Randy,

Why no straws? Because of too much air? I have been using a straw with my Protein drinks and it did cross my mind that it isn't a good idea.

I haven't tried baby food, seems like it would be too bland and not worth it.

Kelli

Kelli, we were told that sucking on the straw uses all those muscles that you really don't want to use until everything is healed up.

As for the baby foods.....do you have kids, Kelli? Some of those baby foods are PRETTY GOOD...

My surgeon wants me on full liquids for FOUR weeks! I think it's totally and competely unrealistic. The bizarre thing is that they consider cream of wheat a LIQUID! Isn't that the strangest thing ever? Cream of Wheat, but not yogurt or blenderized Soups (those are considered mushy). I know we're supposed to follow our doctor's protocall, but I just can't see being on a liquid diet for a whole month. I plan on moving to blenderized soups, yogurt, apple sauce, etc after two weeks and onto full mushy/pureed foods arfter three weeks.

Sunta,

In the Inamed booklet that I received at the time of surgery, it says that in the first 4 weeks low-fat yogurt is okay. It did say to avoid creamy foods, but I become confused about the whole yogurt issue. I have been on liquids for a week now and I guess it's not so bad. I have had a couple of really strong cravings for some pretzels, but I figure they'll be making pretzels for a long time. I'll have them later.

Kelli

Hi Kelli,

That was me waiting...when they rolled you in recovery..I was going to say something but I did not want to disturb you. What I am drinking is working for me even with the straw....so I guess to each his own??? I am getting all of my required Protein and about 400 calories a day. Exactly what the doctor and Kristi ordered. I am feeling great..walking,taking showers and sitting in my office taking reservations helps speed the recovery. I have a appt. w/Dr. Feng Fri. of course not for a fill but just a check up. If he gives me the green light after 2 weeks then I will start on pureed foods while still drinking my Protein quota and counting calories. If after 3 weeks or so if that agrees with me then I move on to phase 3 and so on. I would stay clear of milkshakes..to much sugar a definate NO NO... I chose whey protein because it gives me the most protein with the least amount of sugar and carbs and its a easily digested protein. I am not a self proclaimed know-it-all on nutrition or I would be at the gym instead of getting a lapband but..when I decited to get a band I did alot of homework..I look at the band as a tool and not a quick fix I have to change my lifestyle BIGTIME. Please call Kristi she might be willing to fax you a meal plan to help you through this tough 2-3 week period. We are in this together and I'll be keeping in close contact w/you!!! My personal E-mail is tpierce98664@yahoo.com. When you feel good maybe take a trip to the coast/redwoods??? I have a beautiful R.V. Resort w/cabins accessable to lots of outdoor activities.

Talk Soon,

Tina