Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Introduction

Hello. My name is Joe. I am 23 years old and I am getting banded tomorrow (9-28-11). I would like to document my journey to a healthier life. My starting weight is 330 and as of now I weight 324. I have tried many different methods to lose weight but to no avail, I relapse and for the worse. I was at the gym 4-5 days a week, dieting, and staying active for almost 2 and a half years strait. It WORKED. I lost almost 60 pounds constantly working out. I then landed my dream job which now makes it tough to get to the gym like I used to. I then relapsed and within one year, I had gained all the weight back plus 20 pounds. I never took much consideration to the band until a family member got his done. He looks great now. My Dr. told me it will help me keep the weight off. That is exactly what I needed. After some research, I decided to go for it. I quickly got through the barrage of doctors and the cleared me as a "perfect candidate". I have been lucky that my weight has not had a long term effect on my body...yet. Tomorrow is my surgery and I will admit I a nervous. My main concern is the pain. I can take pain. (I have broken multiple bones in the past) I just have it in the back of my head. I know it is a bumpy road ahead, but I aim for the stars.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please share them with me. I will be blogging a lot on my progress. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and then see how I look then go from there. Thank for anything shared! Cheers!

I am 23 as well and it's so so great to see someone my age! Good luck to you and keep us updated!!

Hello. My name is Joe. I am 23 years old and I am getting banded tomorrow (9-28-11). I would like to document my journey to a healthier life. My starting weight is 330 and as of now I weight 324. I have tried many different methods to lose weight but to no avail, I relapse and for the worse. I was at the gym 4-5 days a week, dieting, and staying active for almost 2 and a half years strait. It WORKED. I lost almost 60 pounds constantly working out. I then landed my dream job which now makes it tough to get to the gym like I used to. I then relapsed and within one year, I had gained all the weight back plus 20 pounds. I never took much consideration to the band until a family member got his done. He looks great now. My Dr. told me it will help me keep the weight off. That is exactly what I needed. After some research, I decided to go for it. I quickly got through the barrage of doctors and the cleared me as a "perfect candidate". I have been lucky that my weight has not had a long term effect on my body...yet. Tomorrow is my surgery and I will admit I a nervous. My main concern is the pain. I can take pain. (I have broken multiple bones in the past) I just have it in the back of my head. I know it is a bumpy road ahead, but I aim for the stars.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips, please share them with me. I will be blogging a lot on my progress. My goal is to lose 100 pounds and then see how I look then go from there. Thank for anything shared! Cheers!

Good Luck tomorrow Joe and on your road to losing weight. I don't have much advise to offer as I only had my band done on the 20th but as far as the pain, I just had the one painful day and that was it....each day got better and better...especially as I get on the scale and see the numbers dropping......But seriously I was very sore coming home from the hospital and that day and evening but by the next morning was feeling pretty good considering....so don't go worrying....I think everyone is nervous the day before and especially the morning off and that is to be expected but I am sure you will do SUPER....you sound like a perfect candidate to me also!! again good luck and look forward to following your journey. Janice

Hello Joe. I applaud you in your Quest to lose weight. I too have lost and gained the weight with additional pounds. I have not had my surgery yet, my first consultation visit is Friday, September 30th. Good luck to you on your surgery tomorrow and please blog your progress as much as you can. I am patiently waiting for my sugery date, but I am a bit afraid of the pain that I will endure afterwards.

Take Care!

Thanks everybody. I appreciate it.

Today is the day. Took a shower. No food, no Water, no Vitamins. About to head to the hospital. Still a bit nervous but it is to be expected I guess. I think my girlfriend is more nervous that I am. Well, theres not much more to say so I guess I will write whenever I feel up to it. Thanks again for the support!

See you on the other side! Just got mine done on saturday the 24th. Best of luck, it was really a very simple procedure.

I am out of surgery and doing well. I posted a blog in the post-op section. Thanks everyone!

My experience after surgery was good. Hope yours is too. Walk around a lt. It really helps the gas.