Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get it

So people are saying you have to work the band. What does that mean? I am not trying to be an idiot but from what I understand is that you will feel fuller sooner and eat less. Is that it? Or am I missing something?? I am scheduled for surgery on November 30th, 2011 and am trying to get all the information that I can. I am currently 225 pounds, 5'4'' and 31 years old. I eat healthy foods 75% of the time,just too large of portion sizes. (the 25% would include going out for dinners, ordering pizza, etc, once a week ish) I excersize. Not at a gym because I hate that. But I play volleyball once a week, soccer 2 times a week, and mom and tot swimming 2 times a week. I used to run 5km and 10 km races but havent since I got bigger due too sore ankles, knees, etc. But I plan to get back into that when I lose some weight too.

Any help in explaining is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Stacey

Working the band to me means.

- Eating healthy choices

- Eating 60 g of protien every day

- Stay away from "slider" foods (except occassionally)

- Drinking at least 64 oz of Water every day

- Never drinking with meals or 1/2 hr before/after

- Exercising regularly

- No soda or cafinated coffee (i drink coffee)

I feel if I do not do all of these things I don't lose weight. If you eat and wash the food down with Water, you will be able to eat more. If you eat things like Soup (you can have soup) or ice cream or things that go right thru your band instead of filling you up, you will likely eat more and lose slower.

The band seems to work best and be most sucessful for people who "work" the band or "follow" the lap band rules.

This is my interpretation of "working the band"

Good Luck to you!

You do feel fuller sooner and are able to eat less food, but not if you eat slider foods or wash your food down by drinking with your meals. There are ways to work "around" your band. It's better to work with it.

I'm not really sure what it is you don't understand. If you are eating too large of portions most of the time and garbage 25% of the time that is why you're overweight. The band will help you with the portions but won't stop you from making poor choices.

Working the band to me means.

- Eating healthy choices

- Eating 60 g of protien every day

- Stay away from "slider" foods (except occassionally)

- Drinking at least 64 oz of Water every day

- Never drinking with meals or 1/2 hr before/after

- Exercising regularly

- No soda or cafinated coffee (i drink coffee)

I feel if I do not do all of these things I don't lose weight. If you eat and wash the food down with Water, you will be able to eat more. If you eat things like Soup (you can have soup) or ice cream or things that go right thru your band instead of filling you up, you will likely eat more and lose slower.

The band seems to work best and be most sucessful for people who "work" the band or "follow" the lap band rules.

This is my interpretation of "working the band"

Good Luck to you!

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. These are the rules I was given by my Dr. to follow. And this is what I will do!! I thought there was some crazy "work the band" secret that I didn't know about... I don't eat Soups (but I understand that I will have to in the first few weeks after liquids). I do have to stop drinking water with meals, and I am going to start that now so I am used to that by the time I get the band. I added you as a friend on here if that is ok, you seem to really explain things well so I hope you don't mind if I bother you if I have more questions. :)

Stacey

I'm not really sure what it is you don't understand. If you are eating too large of portions most of the time and garbage 25% of the time that is why you're overweight. The band will help you with the portions but won't stop you from making poor choices.

I appreciate you comment but don't think you got where I was coming from...

Soup is actually a very good choice. It's high in Protein and low in calories. I was never much of a soup eater but I eat it all the time now.

Wanna-Be: Absolutely, anything I can do to help, you will find lots of helpful people on here.

Cindy: I agree, Soup is a great option, and healthy, but I just don't get full on it. It seems like the times I eat soup I "nibble" a lot between my meals. Passes through the band too easily for me. I do eat it once in a while. I like to make home made Soups cuz I can get them nice and chunky. I was just using soup as an example.

Keep up the Battle!

Start by eating smaller portions. Eat off a desert/salad plate. Use a smaller fork, I use a salad size fork. You have kids, try eating with one of their special forks. It will not only slow you down, but it will make you aware of your bite size! good luck. Karen