Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A RE-introduction

Hey Gals,

I have decided to come out of lurking again! I was banded on 9/20 by Dr. Bauman at NEMC in Concord and since then I have lost 25 pounds. I don't really know how I lost them-- I assume it was exercise. It certainly wasn't restriction. In the beginning, I was so prepared for it to take a certain amount of time for real restriction-- but as time went on and I could eat ANYTHING I wanted I became less and less concerned with my band. I didn't eat like a bandster because I had absolutely no need to! I got to the point that I barely even took the band into consideration!!! It was old habits GALORE! I got my first fill on Dec 16th of 1.6 cc's and although I had slight restriction if I ate too fast or too much, I really had nothing. I was so scared --- I felt like a total failure and was so mad at myself for letting this happen.

Well, hopefully now all of that has changed. I received another fill last friday (2/3) and I am up to 2.6 now. I am definately feeling something. I am still on mushies for now, but I do have restriction!!! It is the first time in my bandster experience where my band has played a part in this! I am so excited that I feel like it is a whole new beginning for me!

Thank you girls for always being so supportive-- even though I haven't contributed much in the past, I want to start now-- because I really do believe that we have to have support to get through this, and reading your posts in the past have really helped me when I was feeling super-down.

Can't wait to meet you all--I do hope to come to the lunch on the 18th.

:puke:

Courtney

Well, hello Court, welcome back! My DW just had her first fill last week and she is REALLY feeling the change. With your second I'm sure you will start to get the "hang" of all this. Good luck and many happy losses to you.

Hey Courtney - welcome back!

Dont worry, we hold no hard feelings regarding people who come and go! Just glad to see you around again.

:gluck:

This is awesome Courtney. I was suppose to have a fill with Dr. B on the 3rd too but insurance was dragging their butts. So you have to pay the 198.25 up front at the hospital right? I am having my first fill on the 17th and not sure what is going to go on. Could you explain it to me? Thanks!!! And Welcome back!!!

Angie

Hey Angie! Insurance is such a pain! I didn't pay anything at the hospital, but I think that is because my insurance pays for fills. (I have United Health Care.)

I did have to go over to Dr. B's office afterwards and get weighed-- they took a copay from me there and that was it. Again, I don't know if that is because of insurance paying for it or if that is how they do it all the time. Both of my fills were the same way.

I was SO surprised at how painless and easy fills were. I really expected them to be a *procedure* or something. It is so easy and doesn't hurt a bit. The numbing shot that he gives stings, but after that you don't feel a thing. He sticks the fill needle in and it doesn't take any time at all after that. I was really impressed-- The biggest pain of the whole thing is having to spend the weekend on liquids-- he does liquids for 2 days and mushies for 3 after that. I am still on mushies till tomorrow.

If you have any questions at all I'd be happy to answer-- with my limited knowledge, of course! LOL!

GOOD luck next friday.

Court

Welcome back! I look forward to seeing you at our next lunch!

Hi Courtney...welcome back. I was banded about 3 weeks after you and I haven't had a fill yet. I'm getting my first on Friday. Actually going up to the office tomorrow to pay all the fees. I'm really confused on it. Because I know my insurance pays for fills. I was told the hosptial required us to pay their fee and then we would get it back from insurance. Did you have to do this the first time? I was also told on the paper work they sent me that I would have to pay Dr. Baumans full fee...instead of just the copay. I'm going tomorrow prepared to pay out $400. but I'm really hoping to not pay that much. I too have United health care..choice plan through Wachovia.

I really hope you can join us on the 18th. I'm suppouse to be selling Girl Scout Cookies that day...but I'm really hoping that someone else (adult) can supervise for a couple of hours till i get there.

Hey Melissa, I have UHC through Wachovia too and I haven't ever paid anything but my copay to for both fills. I know for sure that insurance pays the fill to dr. B, because I can see where they paid the claim, but I don't honestly know about the hospital because it doesn't look like there has even been a claim filed. I don't know about that. I do know that they've never asked me for any $$ though. Crazy! Please let me know what you find out today when you go over to pay.

Court

Welcome Court....Hope to see you on the 18th. We love meeting new people hopefully we want scare you off the first time. haha:)

Melissa - I know I don't go to Dr. B but I have the same insurance as you and they have paid all my fluro fills. I didn't have to even pay a co-pay to Dr. V. Actually I should have them all done there because it will save me the co-pay all together...you have me thinking now. haha.

Good Luck

Well I am not going to open my mouth about paying at the hospital. Unless of course they say something. My insurance was filed and accepted for Dr. B's part. Court, Did you give them your insurance information at the hospital at all? Did they ask for it? Just want to be really informed on how they do it so I am not shocked and ready to kill someone at the hospital when they start demanding for money. :angry I have out of state Blue Cross Blue Shield and they have been awesome on paying everything. So hopefully I don't pay one red cent and I will be one happy girl. :eek:

Angie

Hello Courtney! My name is Denika Menis, and Dr. Bauman did my surgery too. I had mine on 7-26-05. So far I've lost 55 pounds, but I've been doing REALLY bad for about week now, and I've got to do better.

I did want to tell you though that I did not have much success either until I got to 2.5 cc's. I was just like you and was feeling like a failure, but boy after my last fill I can sure tell I've got restriction. I've only had two fills, but I don't see another one anytime in my near future.

I'd write more, but I'm at work and it's time for me to leave! I just wanted to say "Hello!"

Denika

Well apparently there are different rules for everyone. :eek: Because I paid 200 dollars to Dr. Baumans office today. Then when I called tp preregister at the hostpital I was told I'd need to bring the 198 on friday. It sucks, really really sucks. Especially when I KNOW my insurance covers it. And today, they couldn't even tell me how long before they would be refunding the money. It's crazy. I called hubby, because I got a bit frustrated in the office, and I think the girls saw that. But I called hubby and he says not to worry about it.

That is completely insane. Completely. I wonder if they haven't been charging me on accident? COMPLETELY insane. I can't even imagine why they did that-- Holy cow.