Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Newbie Questions"

Thank you first to all who has responded so far.

This is by far the hardest decision I have to make.

I would love to hear other's thoughts and what helped them make their decision to get this procedure done.

Please post away and anything provided I am sure would be a great insight as to why I NEED to do this.

I have a 7 yr old daughter who needs me and I feel so limited in what I can do.

Thank you for all your help!

Baileym

Hi Baileymb,

It took me a very long time to realize that having Lap-Band surgery is not being a failure at weight loss on my own. Heck, I had been trying everything in the book for 28 years and yes I could lose weight when I dieted religiously... but I could never sustain the low caloric intake it required for me to keep the weight off!

When I first decided to ask my PCP for a referral for Lap-Band, I thought he would look at my history (I made a kind of WL Resume) and tell me I hadn't tried hard enough and to not give up so easily. But, he read my resume and put in for the referral right away. When my surgeon submitted my request for insurance approval, I again expected them to come back with a "no" that I did not need this; I could do it on my own if I just tried a little harder... but no, within 2 weeks I was approved.

At first, I was kind of upset. I felt like a failure, like the whole world was agreeing that I didn't have the willpower to do this on my own... that I really am a big fat pig and I need help. But then I discussed it with my DB and he said that he really felt bad for me because he has seen me work so hard for as long as he has known me (8 years) struggling to exercise, eat healthy and lose weight only to see me never reach my goals... But still I never gave up! I never thought it was OK to just be fat and happy. He asked me why? Why hadn't I given up long ago when everyone around me said they loved me just the way I am?

I thought long and hard about this and it dawned on me. I had to do this because I wasn't happy being fat. I wasn't happy knowing that I was putting 10 additional lbs of pressure on my feet and ankles for every extra lbs of weight. I was tired of always trying and never being successful. I didn't want my life to end early because of some weight related disorder. I wanted to have more energy and really feel like I can accomplish something when I put my mind to it. I wanted to put myself first for the first time in my life.

I will be banded next week and yes in the back of my mind I worry about having surgery and all the bad things that can happen... but I have given my doctor specific instructions about conversions to an "open" and switching to a RNY. I want this because I know that if I do all the things I am currently doing, trying to eat healthy, exercising, and drinking my Water that my new tool will help me be a success.

No one can make this decision for you... all we can do is offer support and share our stories. Read the message boards, especially the not so pleasant experiences and decide if this is something you could handle if it happened to you. I was at my wits end and knew that this was my only option.

I hope you find peace in your journey.

:confused:

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much for your story..

When did you first ask your doctor for the referrel?

What tests did you have to take Ex.. EKG, Stress test, stuff like that.

Thanks again!

Baileym

Hi Baileym,

I originally saw my PCP in June 2003 to "talk" about weight. I wanted to get a feel for his thoughts on WLS (all types) and to also request a referral to a nutritionist. I was hoping that someone could test for my true basil metabolic rate because I swear I have stunted my metabolism from so many years of yo-yo dieting. Anyway, he referred me to a dietician and I was a bit miffed, but I went anyway. I ended up sharing ideas with her and teaching her a few things about foods I currently eat that are high Fiber, low fat, etc. She taught me absolutely nothing and I think she realized that. During my last visit we spoke about WLS and she encouraged me to go back and talk to my PCP. She thought I would be an ideal candidate for Lap-Band and my Medical Group had recently contracted with a Bariatric clinic, so she thought he would be more receptive than when I originally spoke to him. By this time it almost November, so I did some research on the Bariatric clinic and attended their informational seminar. That night they gave me a bunch of paperwork to fill out; over the next week I filled that out and met with my PCP. He put in the referral request on Nov 4th and I was approved to meet with the surgeon less than 2 weeks later. I met with the surgeon and she submitted the request for insurance approval back to my PCP and I was approved for surgery just after Christmas. If you are interested in a “generic copy” of my WL Resume, provide your email address or email me at sassaay1@yahoo.com and I will forward you a copy.

Hope this information is helpful.

I am so excited for you!

Please keep in touch and let me know how it went!

I just found out my ins. doesn't cover this, but I am still trying....

Thanks again for your insight, I would love any info you can provide including the generic WL resume...

Send it to Baileym911@aol.com

Thanks again!

Baileym