Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 7 Banding Scheduled

Hi, My name is Robin and I am going to get my band on March 7th. Have been waiting for a year to get here and am a little nervous now. I know dozens of people who have had bypass, but no one who has had the band. I'm way to chicken to go the other route, although the need of help is really great. I know what I've been told about the procedure, but not having anyone that has been banded is difficult, because I don't really know what to expect. Everyone I know has had the major weight loss up front so this is going to be really different. I have never joined a website before, but in checking out another site, this one was referenced and since it was for lap band people only, I thought maybe it could be helpful.

Your new friend, Diane from Ohio will be thinking of you and wishing you well during the procedure..... : )

You're doing it at St V's right? Let me know....and hugs!

diane

Robin Welcome to LBT!!!! Glad you found us and I think you will find lots of information and suport here!!! I'm so excited for you. I got banded in March 05 and I can so remember how frightened but yet so excited I was and just couldn't wait to be in band land....looking back over the last year it was the best thing I could have ever done for my self...congratulations to you and I wish you lots of success!!!

Welcome, Robin! LBT is a great place for loads of information and support from all of the great people. Use the search feature to look up specific information or just throw a question out there. I know you'll get an answer.

Welcome to LBT! You'll find all kinds of information here just for taking the time to read the old as well as the new posts. Take your shoes off and sit a while, read everything you can! Good Luck!:D :D :D

Thank you for the welcome. I just had my pre-admission testing completed yesterday. I have 2 weeks of Opti-Fast to get through, then the surgery on 3/7. It's starting to become real. Scared, but looking forward to it.:dance:

Yes I am having my band done at St. Vincent. I'll keep you informed. And it's really nice to meet you. Hope things start rolling for you soon.

Hi Robin!

I was just banded a week ago and already am so thankful I chose this route. I was freakin scared, too, so I can relate. Best wishes to you preop!!

Kelli

Heyas Robin..

Just wanted to join the rest in welcoming you to LBT. I started hanging out here about a month before I got banded (Jan 9th) and learned so much that it helped relieve many of my fears. I know many people struggle thru the pre-op diet, but I was thrilled to get started because it was the beginning of my journey and watching the pounds fall away prior to surgery was great! Best of luck to you.. keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks PhotoNut,

I have been wondering how I was going to get through the 2 weeks of Opti-Fast, what a great inspiration - it will be the beginning of a great journey. It's getting here fast. Nervous and excited.

Emtbaby4,

Thanks and the best to you as well. Good Luck.:nervous

Pugmom,

Great, hope you are doing well. This site and all of the inspiring stories and successes help out so much.

hey there EMTbaby....hope all goes well on March 1st!

and Robin.....big hugs to ya! I went to my Surgical Consult today....the doc was encouraging. I just barely make the criteria as a BMI 35...but I make it!....he thinks with my strong documented apnea...that I could get the Insurance to approve...(we hope) and he feels the band would be a good tool for me to get to a better place with my weight and my apnea.

Now to get hubby on board with this....hmmmm.....that's going to take some creativity! He was grumpy to hear I went to this appointment. Thinks I am going to harm myself with my stubborness to pursue this course. Well, I have tried and failed in many other venues....this apnea is turning my life upside down....and needs serious attention. And I hate the cpap....I am not very compliant. My headaches are constant and 24/7 from the apnea.

now I need to go down the list of appointments to fullfil the requirements....ie: jump through all the hoops....and then we still don't know if I will get approved ....but hopeful.

Warm wishes to all......diane : )

I recently went on CPAP and I feel so much better. I had those headaches and the foggy thinking almost every single day. I thought I would NEVER be able to sleep in that dang mask, but I haven't had much trouble at all. I don't know what kind you have, but there are about a dozen different configurations, so maybe a different kind of mask would help. To avoid the smothering feeling when I first turn it on, I take a deep breath, hold it, turn on the machine and exhale against the flow for the first breath. Then I seem to be fine. Otherwise I feel like I choke or some weird chlostrophobic feeling. I have the real 'mask', but if the size of it is bothering you, you can get the nasal pillows which are smaller. For some reason the pillows seemed to bother me, so I went witht he mask. If the flow rate is bothering you, they can turn it down at first to give you some time to adjust. My machine has a 'step-up' after 10 minutes. It starts off about 1/2 flow and then steps up gradually. Don't give up on it because is does help so much. Good Luck!

I know I need to work harder and use the cpap....I have tried many different masks and pillows.....I am currently with a new version of the pillows which really is comfortable......but, my problem is more with the sinus pressure.

I seem to get sinusitis cronically from the cpap....then it hurts breathing in with the pressure.

any thoughts?

thanks....diane : 0