Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

long term w/ the lap band???

I had the lap band put in a few days ago after wanting this for so long. However, now I am thinking more and more and its getting me scared. I'm having doubts and concerns. Am I always going to "feel" the band in me? Will I be able to eat solid foods? Is it bad to throw up? Can I get pregnant? Will I be able to live my whole life without this band negatively affecting me? Please please someone answer my questions

I had the lap band put in a few days ago after wanting this for so long. However, now I am thinking more and more and its getting me scared. I'm having doubts and concerns. Am I always going to "feel" the band in me? Will I be able to eat solid foods? Is it bad to throw up? Can I get pregnant? Will I be able to live my whole life without this band negatively affecting me? Please please someone answer my questions

You've wanted the lap band for so long? Why? Did you do any research? Did you have any clue as to the workings of the tool before deciding that you wanted it?

Am I always going to "feel" the band in me? You cannot "feel" the band inside of you. You may feel the port but you will never feel the band. The nerve endings of the stomach are not the same as those of the skin. While you can feel pain from injury or disease the stomach cannot feel something simply touching it.

Will you be able to eat solid foods? Depending on your doctor, you will be on a liquid diet for 2-4 weeks. After that, you will gradually add solid foods and will eventually be able to eat most things that you ate before just less of them.

Is it bad to throw up? Yes. Throwing up can cause your band to slip.

Can I get pregnant? Could you get pregnant before? The band will not change that. If anything weight lose will make getting pregnant more likely. You may have to have Fluid removed during pregnancy so that the baby can get the proper nutrition.

Will I be able to live my whole life without this band negatively affecting me? As long as you follow the rules and respect your band it will affect your life positively.

You've wanted the lap band for so long? Me too and I am down 80 - 84lbs depending on the day and 2 years out, no problems really. I do not regret it at all.

Am I always going to "feel" the band in me? I agree I DO NOT believe anyone can feel the band. If they think they do they should talk to their surgeon and he will help probably recommend that person seek counseling. Now the port is a different story. I could feel mine in the beginning and now you really can. But I do not feel it from inside my body only if I touch it on the outside of my body. But it makes it easier to get fills. My Granddaughter always wants to feel it

Will you be able to eat solid foods? After you go through the first month or 6 weeks you will be eating solid foods as you advance there will be some foods you might not be able to eat. Everyone is different. Some are very limited in what they can eat and some are not. I think people could probably eat whatever if they went very slowly and chewed alot. You are not going to feel deprived as there are many many foods you can eat.

Is it bad to throw up? I also agree with this but I have vomited on and off since I got the band. One time so much I busted a blood vessel. I would say 75% of the time it is my fault not chewing enough or eating something I have no business eating. The other 25% not sure why but my Doctor never saw anything wrong on my fluoros that I had everytime I went in for office visit. I have never had a slip or had to have a total unfill. I had a very small unfill once when I was too tight.

Can I get pregnant? Do not see why not but I think they like you to wait a while maybe even a year. I have a friend that got pregnant with twins at 10 months post opt and she if doing great. Talk to your Dr about this.

Will I be able to live my whole life without this band negatively affecting me? Nobody can tell what the future holds for any of us. Like the last poster said follow the rules. I plan on having mine till the day I die, and hopefully that won't be for a long time

I think you should stop stressing about everything it is not good for you. Anything you are not sure of call your Dr. Some people call their Doctor several times a week so they are use to it. My Surgeon was very nice and he would answer any question I ever had. Not sure why some people think they made a mistake right after they had surgery. I woke up the next day and thought I dreamed the whole thing and had to pull up PJs to see if I had scars. Was so happy I did. Just tell yourself you are up for whatever comes your way! You made the right choice I bet. Hang in there and stop doubting yourself. It is done now so just go with it. food is just food, but skinny is great! Send me a message if you ever have a question you can not find an answer to and I will help you find it.

Cheri

Wow Cindy C you have lost a lot of weight congratulations to you!!!!

Cheri

remember that the band is a tool to help you get from a-z and help keep you there. I also had some of the same questios. I am almost 2 mts into it and I got scared also. My fears went away the more I healed. Keep a good support system and "stay of of your head". Your new life will be totally worth it!!! Good luck.

Thank you all. And yes cindy I did more research humanly possible actually. And I had more of a clue to what it was all about. However I had some questions that just came to my attention,as anyone would after a surgery. And let me re word this.. Could I go through pregnancy with the lap band in me. Obviously now I know the answer. And why did I want the lap band for so long? I think everyone has their own reasons.

There is a section on this website for pregnancy with the lap band... You should check it out!

I too could 'feel' my band for about the first month after surgery. It FREAKED me out. I thought I couldnt live the rest of my life with this feeling. But it is completely gone now. I am five weeks post op today. I think it must have been postop swelling. I am hopeful for u . I think u will be fine in time. I am a worry wart and empathize with u.