Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does size matter

Juicy

My apologies that your thread appears to have been hijacked. Here is hoping that some other people will attempt to answer some of your original queries. I am sure when you posted your original query you were hoping for some more supportive helpful answers.

As for Dr Sanction who has been in the medical field for 25 years...................(If that is the case I would have expected the information that you posted to support your argument would have come from a more scientific source - not one of the first sites that comes up when googling this question).

As you obviously have far superior knowledge to the rest of us will you please explain what the point of Allergan producing different sized bands was? Also people are different sizes, as far as I am aware that means there are going to be variations in the size of their organs. We have babies, children, adults. Presumably organs grow as we as progress from birth to adulthood - at what point does the stomach reach its "one size fits all" stage? Even when you reach adulthood people vary dramatically in size. I am female and 5' - there are people who reach 7' and over. I am stunned and gobsmacked to discover that we all have the same size organs.

Wow - that is amazing.

LMAO :lol: !!!!!!! But I have to agree with you!!!!!!!

Here some info about our stomachs!!!Answer: Myth. While it may seem hard to believe, the size of the stomach does not correlate with weight or weight control. People who are naturally thin can have the same size or even larger stomachs than people who battle their weight throughout a lifetime. "Weight has nothing to do with the size of the stomach. In fact, even people who have had stomach-reducing surgeries, making their tummy no larger than a walnut, can override the small size and still gain weight," says Levy.

So there r answer!!! Nobody stomachs is the same size :o

The human stomach is a muscular, elastic, pear-shaped bag, lying crosswise in the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm. It changes size and shape according to is position of the body and the amount of food inside. The stomach is about 12 inches (30.5 cm) long and is 6 inches. (15.2 cm) wide at its widest point. The stomach's capacity is about 1 qt (0.94 liters) in an adult. (taken from a medical website) The stomach only stretches when one over eats but goes back to normal size once the food is digested.

Of course, we all know that if it's on the internet it must be true! The medical website this was taken from is mamas health .com. (It must be a very reputable site considering it has an annual potential advertising revenue of $5,750! LOL!) I think the key to this is

The stomach is about 12 inches (30.5 cm) long and is 6 inches. (15.2 cm) wide at its widest point.

Yes, everybody's stomach is about the same size. But then again, there isn't much difference in the size of bands either. There are just under 5cc's in a teaspoon. A 14cc band holds 4/5 of a teaspoon more than a 10cc band holds. 4/5 of a teaspoon equals 80 DROPS!

exactly - ABOUT.

Thanks for the Info Elcee, yes yu are so right I have to be true to my self, however I am always hungry I can control it, and about the drinks I do fallow that, but sometimes I fell like I am choking and drink Water, so u really dont think it has to do with the size of my band?, I mean I do have a low BMI....I only need to loose 50 pounds, a co-worker of mine also has the large band however she was 300 + pounds and had a big BMI, also I heard that the big band is also used for men....also since my band its so big what happens once I start loosing weight, and then the band needs more adjustments (fills) and I am already haved maxed the band and have no more space available? all that freaks me out!

There are a number of different bands.

The old lapband was 4ml(I think) but this not used anymore except possibly in Mexico.

The newer bands are 10ml and 14ml(again I think). Which band is used depends on the size of your insides not your BMI. The Dr will generally be able to tell which is best once you are "opened" up.

Then there is the Realise band as well. I think this one is 11ml. The difference with the Realise band is that it is a low pressure band and typically more fill is required before any type of restriction is felt. I have even heard of patients with this band being filled to more than the apparent capacity. So you not only need to know the capacity of your band but also which type.

More importantly however is what are you doing? Are you following the rules? That is not drinking with meals or for a min of 30 minutes afterwards, small bites, chewing well. Eating good quality dense Protein and some healthy veg/carbs? Exercising etc.

If you are doing all these things then you should be losing some weight. But it is important that you are honest with yourself. Lots of people don't lose because they think that the band will do all the work, they forget it is only a tool.

Try to forget the term sweet spot. I think it is like the G spot. Some swear it exists others don't. The sweet spot isn't some magical place where you suddenly lose weight with no effort. If there is a sweet spot it is the place where if you are following the rules you can eat a smaller portion than previously of healthy food and not be hungry for 2 - 3, if you are lucky maybe 4 hours afterwards.

Hope some of this helps.

Yea that is how I feel, (that the 14cc band is used for men or people with a higer bmi

I did see My Dr, Yesterday and I question him again on it, and his response was "THAT EVERY ONE HAS A DIFFERENT SIZE OF STOMACH, THAT SOMEONE REALLY SMALL COULD HAVE A BIG STOMACH AND THAT SOMEONE REALLY BIG COULD HAVE A SMALL STOMACH" verry confusing!

but yes from what I see it is going to take more fills to get to my sweet spot :(

I now have a total of 8.5 cc's gosh That is so much, you would think I at least have lost a pound, BUT nope I still weight the same, as the day of my surgery, as a matter of fact I have gain 4 pounds :angry:

timestamp='1316310960' post='1664164']

sorry....

Back to the OP........

In my first year of being banded I reached my sweet spot on my 2nd fill. My fills were large amounts to start and I had a 2.7cc fill during surgery. My starting BMI was 41.3. I have a 10cc band and my sweet spot was at 5.3cc. If I had it any tighter at that point, I would have not been able to eat anything but fluids. I stayed at that restriction level for a very long time (10 months or so). Today, I'm 26 months post-op and am at 5.7cc. I have great restriction and the band is doing it's job. I really don't think BMI has anything to do with it. It's the size and thickness of the stomach it's self. Maybe a 10cc band would have worked better for you. It is my understanding that the large 14cc band is used on large men and such.... I think if I were in your shoes, I would go get another fill, and another until I reached restriction.