Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found out that my gallbladder is full of stones!! I am praying that my doctor will remove it the same time I get my lap band! I've read conflicting opinions with some saying that the band could get infected if the 2 surgeries were done in one; on the other hand, if the gallbladder is removed later (for someone who develops stones after lap band placed) it would pose the same problem with possible infection of band. Have any of you had your gallbladder removed during lap band surgery? OR have any of you had a surgeon require that it be removed first in a separate surgery, and if so....how long did it take before the lap band surgery could be scheduled. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!!smile.gif

My doctor will not do lap and gallstone surgery at the same time. Gallbladder surgery is considered dirty and lap band is considered clean. I have read of people having the gallbladder surgery and a couple weeks later lap band. As someone who had my gallbladder removed at 19 and lived through months of attacks; I would get it done first. Even being super diligent I still had attacks. Think a fat free existance. Attacks are horrific. You do not want to experience one.

have the gallblatter done first. If you have it done after the lap band you could have an infection and lap band could be taken out. I am glad i had my gallblatter done first. I will have my lap band put in on October 6th. They say the pain is about the same. I only had to take 2 days off work. It is not bad at all. I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Good luck

My gallbladder was bad at the time of my banding, but it wasn't yet diagnosed as a gallbladder issue (I had really atypical symptoms/attacked that never registered as a GB issue until most other things had been ruled out).

Mine came out about a year after my banding. Had I known it was a GB issue, I would have had the GB surgery first. My attacks weren't agonizing, but they also weren't something I'd have willingly endured another year of if I had known how easy of a fix it would be.

I know a lot of people who have had both done at the same time, but I think it's becoming less and less common.

Hi ! I had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my Lab Band, I was given antibiotics thought my IV before surgery and after surgery to prevent an infection to the band.

I had my gall bladder out 2 years before banding so I wasn't an issue for me, but my surgeon does both at the same time and prefers it that way rather than submit patients to anesthesia and possible infections twice.

Thanks y'all for the replies. I guess it does come down to risk....that of infection vs. that of additional surgery. At least I know to request both at the same time since there are some surgeons that do both.

My boss does not like for us to miss work and I don't really want to be out any more than I absolutely have to. Still have the psych exam (have to leave work early) and colonoscopy (have to miss a whole day) next week and I'll finally be able to make my appointment to schedule surgery.

Thanks again for your support!!

I also have gallstones and am schedule to have my gallbladder removed and my lapband placed at the same time on 9/26. My surgeon will do the gallbladder first and if everything is fine will proceed with the lapband.

I also have gallstones and am schedule to have my gallbladder removed and my lapband placed at the same time on 9/26. My surgeon will do the gallbladder first and if everything is fine will proceed with the lapband.

Hope things go well for you!!

I have stones as well,

but i'm curious as to why they don't just remove the stones?

Why take out the whole GB?

Hmmm... curious.

Thanks for all who posted a response to my question. I had my surgery Nov. 1st. Surgeon's priority was to get the gallbladder out first. If there had been spillage of contents of gallbladder, the rest of the surgery would have had to be delayed because of chance of infection. Luckily, I was able to have everything done. I have been so pleased with everything and everybody so far....Now if I can just start losing this baggage!!