Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello from california

hi i am just starting....had the first visit with my doctor and am now

doing all the pre operation stuff.....but i think i am going to do the

complete bypass.....is this only a lapband sight? My Dr, is Dr Billy

he seems nice

Hi and welcome to LBT! There are several patients of Dr. Billy's here--we hear nothing but good things about him!

Yes, this site is primarily about lapbanding, but you're welcome to stay and participate. Weight loss surgery is transformative no matter what kind you have, and you might find there's lots of common ground.

Good luck with your procedure, whatever it is!

Heya Not4Long! Welcome to LBT.

Might I ask why you think you will go for the complete bypass rather than the lapband?

Hey Not4long: I have Dr. Billy as my doctor. He is a sweetie and so nice and competent. He did my port revision and removed my band when I eroded. I have seen and talked to one of his bypass patients and she is completely happy. Her name is Nancy. I am sure you have seen her in the office. You have a good surgeon in my opinion.

i have gone back and forth but i think because i a older and very over weight

45 at 350 i want to do something that will decrease my weight a little faster

but who knows i might change my mind again

Welcome to the madhouse :)

Whatever path you take, I hope everything goes well. Be sure and stick around and keep us posted.

It does not matter what path you take to reach your destination, just so long as you arrive safely.

food for thought -

Lapband surgery is 10 times safer than gastric bypass surgery.

(1 in 200 bypass patients die - 1 in 2,000 lapband patients die)

In 5 years, bypass paitents have lost an average of 59% of their excess weight, while bandsters have lost an average of 57%. Bypass patients usually begin to regain weight after the first few years.

Bandsters lose an average of 8 pounds per month. Losing their weight over a three year period. Bypass patients drop weight with amazing speed at first but the follow risks are specific to gastric bypass surgery:

• Dumping syndrome. Usually occurs when sweet foods are eaten or when food is eaten too quickly. When the food enters the small intestine, it causes cramping, sweating, and nausea.
  • Abdominal hernias. These are the most common complications requiring follow-up surgery. Incisional hernias occur in 10–20% of patients and require follow-up surgery.
  • Narrowing of the stoma. The stoma, or opening between the stomach and intestines, can sometimes become too narrow, causing vomiting. The stoma can be repaired by an outpatient procedure that uses a small endoscopic balloon to stretch it.
  • Gallstones. They develop in more than a third of obese patients undergoing gastric surgery. Gallstones are clumps of cholesterol and other matter that accumulate in the gallbladder. Rapid or major weight loss increases a person's risk of developing gallstones.
  • Leakage of stomach and intestinal contents. Leakage of stomach and intestinal contents from the staple and suture lines into the abdomen can occur. This is a rare occurrence and sometimes seals itself. If not, another operation is required.

Because of the changes in digestion after gastric bypass surgery, patients may develop such nutritional deficiencies as anemia, osteoporosis, and metabolic bone disease. These deficiencies can be prevented by taking Iron, Calcium, Vitamin B12, and folate supplements. It is also important to maintain hydration and intake of high-quality Protein and essential fat to ensure healthy weight loss.

I have worked with a man who had this proceedure done. He looked horrible. Dark circles under his eyes, skinny, LOTs of loose skin. He had trouble eating many foods and noone wanted to be in the hallway near the bathroom after he'd been in there.. let alone go into the bathroom!

And my final thought.. lapband surgery is reversible. Bypass is not.

Am I biased.. well no, I have just been reading the facts and like to share them. :)

Best of luck in your decision.

hi not4long - i agree with Susan (PhotoNut)... I'm sure that you're researching all the pros and cons - but Susan has provided some great info for you to consider. Best of luck in whatever you decide! You take care of yourself.

Hey Not4Long. Love the screen name.

Do lots of research before you make your final decision. If you hang out on a LapBand Board, you are going to hear a lot of Pro-Band, Anti-ByPass sentiment (and I will contribute to that, shortly) But, if you hang out on a ByPass Board, you get the same in reverse.

You can check out the scientific abstracts - but even the studies are skewed sometimes for both Band and ByPass (I put links to the major journals in a thread called "Links" if you want to search for those).

Read everything you can get your hands on and make your own decision. The ByPass was the only option for a long time, and a lot of people have had success with it.

I personally prefer the Band option because after having read lots of scientific research, talked to everyone I know who has any first or second hand experience with either surgery and decided that the whole point of the exercise is better health. ByPass surgery in and of itsself is more risky - and - there are some indications that dramatic rapid weightloss is dangerous or damaging to the body, also. It seems to me that when the ByPass is good - it is very good; but when it is BAD it is VERY BAD.

With the Band, yes, people erode, slip and have reflux - but when the Band goes bad - you just take it out... And while you have it there is much less risk of lingering ongoing issues, no malabsorption/malnutrition, no dumping.

Please remember - this is my opinion - everybody has one.

Yours is the only one that really matters to you.

:]

i am slowly being driven insane........i thought that many of the things that photonut just warned me about happened with the band....the dumping and the horrible smell after using the bathroom....i have two relatives that had the bypass.....they have never thrown up and there is no terrible odor after they use the bathroom.....my sister in law did look pretty bad for almost a year and her hair fell out byt she looks a little better

my brother in law gained all of his weight back and then some but he eats huge amounts....i tend it eat bad foods as opposed to huge quanities.....

Dr. billy does both but i kind of got the feeling that he favors the bypass

but i could be wrong we only talked once.....there is almost too much information it is so hard to really get a handle on it

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

HI and welcome to LBT. I have the band and do not have the dumping or bathroom smell problem, My friend in Montana had the bypass and those were symptoms that she had though. Just do some really good research and know the differences before committing to either surgery.