Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New, and what makes you believe the band will work?

Guest anitalynn
Sign in to follow this  

Guest anitalynn

Hi, everyone!

I'm so happy that there is a board like this. I have learned so much about the procedure, and everything that goes along with it. I'm especially glad for the "complications" thread, because I like knowing that my intelligence is being respected, and that it's not a "rainbow and lollipop" sort of environment.

I'm currently seriously considering the surgery. I went to my doctor on Thursday, and to my surprise, she was for it. However, I want to emphasize that I'm still just considering. If I could get the surgery next week, I'd say no, for a variety of reasons.

I was talking to my mother about it, and she made a very good point; one that I've been thinking a lot about, myself. For me, the reason I am big is a "mental" one. I am big because of what I do/don't do, not because I have a metabolic disorder, or something. She pointed out that, in the past, whenever I have put forth a good effort in getting healthier and losing weight, I have been successful. Of course, I never keep it up, which is the problem.

What makes us think that our issues surrounding healthy eating and exercise will change when we get the band? Is it not possible to get the band, and "eat past" it? What makes us think that things will change?

Basically, I'm scared that I'll go through all of this work to get the band, and then screw it up because I haven't dealt with the issues that got me here in the first place.

Any words?

Hi Anitalynn,

I had all the same questions going in, and I'll bet most of us do. What the band does for people who eat too much is ... make it possible for them to CONSISTENTLY eat less. If you are determined to foil its effects, it is of course possible to take in too many calories by overdoing it on soft foods, liquids, candy etc. But if you're considering surgery, my guess is that you want to work WITH the band, not against it.

You have to take a close look at your habits. If you simply eat too much or too fast, the band will force you to slow down, which will in turn allow you to take another look at your intake. That's what it has done and is doing for me, and it's exactly what I wanted it to do. I was big because through my life I'd always eaten too much, and with the arrival of my kids I added the second whammy of eating too fast. The band has changed all that, and as a result I've lost 125 lbs and am keeping it off with very little trouble.

So what are YOUR issues surrounding healthy eating and exercise? You have to be brutally honest with yourself. Are you obsessed with food? Do you think you will invent ways to get in more calories than you need by concentrating on soft high-calorie foods? Will you be able to accept the fact that food is nutrition and health, not comfort and treats? (Not, of course, that food completely stops playing those roles in our lives, but the band lets US be in control, not the impulses.)

The band cuts the effort required to eat healthfully in half, not only because you have a limited capacity but because you truly are not hungry between meals when properly restricted. As far as exercise goes, I only started after a loss of 50 lbs, and it was a whole different thing than I expected. Being smaller really does make exercise fun, so it's a lot easier to stick with it.

Welcome to LBT, and keep asking questions!

Welcome Anitalynn!!

I am new as well, and have decided that the band is definitely for me. I have gotten tons of info from LBT....good & bad...that has helped me come to this decision. That is in addition to prayers asking for guidance.

Alexandra - I love what you have to say. This is a reality check and you help put eating into perspective, especially for us newbies. Your experience and advice gives me great inspiration....THANKS! :)

I went on the Optifast program last year and lost over 30 lbs in 3 mos doing the first phase which basically liquids (this was a physician controlled program). The most important thing I took away from this program is that I AM "addicted" to food just like a alcoholic or a drug addict. I use food for reasons other than to sustain my body.

I also asked the question as to why should I get the band when I know I can lose weight by eating right and exercising, which I need to do in order for the band to be successful. WELL, I've learned from many experiences here at LBT that the band is not what makes weightloss successful, it's the person and the band is only a "tool" (heard that many times here) to be used. I look for the band to do just what Alexandra said.

For me personally, I intend to read Dr Phil's book, The Ultimate Weight Solution, and take a deep look into the reasons I eat emotionally. This emotional need will still be there with or without the band and I need to come up with other ways of dealing with the stresses that lead me to eat. I look at the band as a tool that will help keep me honest in my food choices so I can work on those other issues.

Keep researching and getting feedback so you can make a decision that is best suited for you. I can't wait to get my band, but I don't think it is for everyone. Best of luck regardless of which direction you go....hope we all get the chance to know you better. :clock:

I was banded on 9/05 and at first it was kind of unusual, scary and kind of hard. The first 10 days was easy for me to do liquids because I was scared of slipping and erosion and hernia. I was not hungry and it seems like day 11 I am starvinggggggggggggg. Without any restriction I was able to eat and that was what I was doing until my first fill in 11/05. Still I had no restriction but I did get some food stuck so I started really watching what I ate and started weighing my food making sure I did not eat over 8 ounces but I had these snack attacks and I did not lose any weight in November because I snacked every day (chips, candy, Cookies, donuts). I truly believe that if you excercise and work with the band you can lose. I am currently on my 3rd fill 2.5cc and I am totally restricted. My first was 1.5cc no restriction, 2nd fill 2.0cc no restriction. I was getting depressed by then. My 3rd fill 12/05 and I am sooooooo restricted. I have lost 36 Pounds since 9/05 and I have went from a size 18 to 16. You have to get used to everything, your mind, body and the band. Cause you really dont know what to expect and what to feel. I think if was not for website I would be half crazy not knowing if what i am going through is normal or if what i am feeling is normal. I have not had any complications or any pb's (vomiting). If you decide to chose the band Good Luck!!