Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall Bladder Removal post banding...

I have to have my gall bladder out. I am having pain with everything I eat. I had a HIDA scan and my gall bladder is almost not functioning at all. My surgery date is Feb. 16th. My follow-up care surgeon is doing the surgery. Should I expect him to empty my band prior to surgery? Anyone have their gall bladder out after banding? What was your experience? ~Mandy

Mandy I' sorry your not feeling well. Why are they waiting so long to do the surgery?

Your in my prayers for a speedy gentle recovery.

HUGS

That was the first available operating room. I am on the list if anything opens up sooner they will call me. There is also a ton of stuff going on next week with my daughter, so it actually worked better to have it on the 16th. Monday is my dd's MRI and she has to be sedated for that and then wed is my b-day. We have several doctor's appointments next week and some of them are really hard to change as they have been made for months. I am ok with the wait, I want to get all of my house work done and I have some stuff that I want to get listed on Ebay before I have surgery. I am also going to cook/prepare and freeze some meals so all my hubby has to do is reheat them. That is what I did for my banding and it worked really well. Thanks for the well wishes, Mandy

Just make sure your doctor knows its there and if you can show him what it looks like.print up a photo of one in place. One doctor thought my wifes was a pace maker.

I didnt have any Fluid removed.and after knowing what was and where it was, he had no worries about it.

the only thing the doctor did different was to look at it with the camera while he was in there.

My recovery was a little longer because of damage to my liver. it wasnt more painfull, he just had me on light duty for a month. (thats not easy when you do new construction plumbing)

I walked out of the hospital as soon as the drugs wore off. and felt better then when the band was put in.. had a few days of that "bloated" feeling.

untill its out, stay away from anything fried,or anything that has oil on it(like salad dressing). soft bland foods only. it will help,at least to some degree.

now once its out, something that alot of people have happen and dont always warn others about is,

sometimes when you think you might have to fart, run to the toilet, you might not make. aome people get over this little side effect and others live with it for a long time. but it sure beats that belly ache before it was removed.

I am not worried about my band at all, a band surgeon is doing the gall bladder removal. The nurse didn't say if they would remove my saline or not and I was in so much pain I forgot to ask. I will call on tuesday and ask but I wanted to get some imformation from you guys. Everytime I have asked a question I have recieved good response. Avoiding the greasy foods doesn't really help as it is not functioning at all, everything hurts. I can eat fried foods just as easy as plain mashed potatoes. Thanks for the info and support. ~Mandy

I had my gall bladder removed 6 wks after my second band surgery. I don't think he'll have to remove it, but as always, each doc does their own thing..

Mandy,

I have not yet been banded however I have had my gallbladder removed and mine was at the same stage as yours. The pain was OH SO MUCH BETTER surgery then before. Make sure you try foods carefully after surgery. Somethings you have eaten forever that never bothered you will all of the sudden bother you. Cause Dumping syndrome. Also like Big Dog stated...sometimes those farts really aren't farts...the closer to a bathroom the better. Also from a nurses point of view...when you get home make sure you keep walking that will help with the bloating and the setteling of the gas in places like your chest and shoulders. If you get those pains make sure you get up and walk....no matter how bad it hurts you have to walk to break that gas up. I thought I was having a heart attack. I had to calm myself down and think logically. Its one thing being a nurse and telling patients why they should.......but until you undergo it you really cant relate. Best of luck with the removal. Just remember......walk walk and walk.