Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Center of Excellence

My insurance, Medicare, required that I use a Center of Excellence and I understand why my doctor's office is considered one and my surgery is still 6 days away. As I have read this board as thoroughly as time allows, I realize that the support I am getting even before the surgery is far beyond what many here received. At my first visit with the surgeon, which btw was quite lengthy, I received a binder with lots of info all divided into sections about each stage of the journey and nutrition had many sections. Was required to meet with the nutritionist, fitness expert and a mental health counselor before my surgery was scheduled. Also had several extra tests, including a nuclear stress test because of my age, just to be on the safe side. Then there was the required meeting that lasted a couple of hours with the hospital's head bariatic nurse and the nutritionist again. They answered any and all questions and everyone at the office has given me their card with their number on them so I don't have to got through the front office. At times I felt almost overwhelmed with info, but then today when the hospital coordinator called me to verify some things, and asked if I had any questions, I could honestly say I did not. As I read here where folks are not told about Vitamins, or the diet to follow afterwards I am almost amazed that they were not given the same info I have been. How do you feel about the support your received from your doctor and their office?

My insurance, Medicare, required that I use a Center of Excellence and I understand why my doctor's office is considered one and my surgery is still 6 days away. As I have read this board as thoroughly as time allows, I realize that the support I am getting even before the surgery is far beyond what many here received. At my first visit with the surgeon, which btw was quite lengthy, I received a binder with lots of info all divided into sections about each stage of the journey and nutrition had many sections. Was required to meet with the nutritionist, fitness expert and a mental health counselor before my surgery was scheduled. Also had several extra tests, including a nuclear stress test because of my age, just to be on the safe side. Then there was the required meeting that lasted a couple of hours with the hospital's head bariatic nurse and the nutritionist again. They answered any and all questions and everyone at the office has given me their card with their number on them so I don't have to got through the front office. At times I felt almost overwhelmed with info, but then today when the hospital coordinator called me to verify some things, and asked if I had any questions, I could honestly say I did not. As I read here where folks are not told about Vitamins, or the diet to follow afterwards I am almost amazed that they were not given the same info I have been. How do you feel about the support your received from your doctor and their office?

I am using a center of excellence because that is all that is offered here locally. I also am very impressed with their service and quality of care. I wish you all the best in your journey to good health.

Melinda

Center of excellence is the name of most bariatric surgeons they have to be in order to to bariatric surgery. I did a lot of research on my own and really if you take all the information given to you there wasnt many questions I had. People just need to read what their doctors give them.

Here in North Carolina, I know of at least one office that does all types of surgeries and they are not (from what I can see) a center of excellence. I opted to go to another town to a team of Bariatric doctors that are a center of excellence. I have some friends that went to the other doctor and did not get NEAR the information I got. The team I am working with is just that, a team that works together and is keeping me informed of everything I need. They psych eval was awsome as well as the nutritionist. They gave me volumes of information where as my friends were told, "you will be able to eat anything you want, just less of it." Well, anyone who has done any research knows that is not true. I am thankful for the team I am going thru and the education they are giving me. They HIGHLY encourage support systems and even offer a once a month support group which I find very helpful. I am looking to be banded in October if my insurance gives me the thumbs up.

I went to True Results here in San Antonio and they are awesome too. It is an awesome journey with people that care.

ReJoyce, mine also has the support groups and such. I can't imagine going somewhere that doesn't offer all the things a COE does. And no, not all bariatic doctors offices are considered centers of excellence. I live in a fairly large city and can think of three just off the top of my head that advertise and the one I go to is the only one in the city, and possibly in this part of my state that is a Center of Excellence. As I stated before, Medicare requires that I use one, and they were the only one I could go to even though my Internist was the one who referred me without knowing that.

I didn't even realize the importance of all of this when I chose the group I am going to, but I am sure thankfull they are.

ReJoyce, mine also has the support groups and such. I can't imagine going somewhere that doesn't offer all the things a COE does. And no, not all bariatic doctors offices are considered centers of excellence. I live in a fairly large city and can think of three just off the top of my head that advertise and the one I go to is the only one in the city, and possibly in this part of my state that is a Center of Excellence. As I stated before, Medicare requires that I use one, and they were the only one I could go to even though my Internist was the one who referred me without knowing that.

I also went o a Center of Excellence, St. Josephs in Orange, CA. It was also very informative with a team of experts at my disposal. For example, I can have a once a month personal meeting with my nutritionist for the rest of my life for free. I meet with my surgeon every time I go there. I had no pain from incisions and almost no gas pain. I'm very happy with how they did everything. It's worth seeking one out.

I am using a center of excellence because that is all that is offered here locally. I also am very impressed with their service and quality of care. I wish you all the best in your journey to good health.

Melinda

The American College of Surgeons is the group to look for when considering a Center of Excellence. There are other groups offering accredidation, but the ACS

is, by far the best.

Center of excellence is the name of most bariatric surgeons they have to be in order to to bariatric surgery. I did a lot of research on my own and really if you take all the information given to you there wasnt many questions I had. People just need to read what their doctors give them.

I don't know where you went, but just as the Topic starter stated. You will know everything inside, and out. We were even given a Test to see if we paid attention to the Surgeon. If not, well your gone. Because he knew that if your not listening now,,, you won't listen later.

They also have their private email organization, and meetings. You can not attend if you are not a HENRY FORD BARIATRIC PATIENT. Private Gym all along the Center of the Hospital.

They have a CENTOURIUM Club, that is a Black Tie Event, It's held year after year for everyone new, and old that has lost 100lbs. in 1 year.and people strive to lose 100lbs. in 1 year to be a member.

You are entitled for LIFE to their Gym, and Dietician for life, when you had surgery..

There is a big difference in Medical Care, and they have to earn that SEAL. In Michigan their are only a few that are CENTER OF EXCELLENCE, but there are a lot of places that will gladly take your money, and turn you to this site for help ? Were not Dr.'s. Just been there, and done it. Your Surgeon should always know the answer to your question, If not find someone else.

C O E is the only way to go.

Shirley.