Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Monday, sore throat today

Well, I woke up this morning with a sore throat. After my last debacle, having to cancel my surgery 2 weeks prior to the date because of a cough and fever that were gone in 2 days, I'm hesitant to even MENTION this to my dr's office (although they're not there on the weekends so I guess I couldn't do anything until Monday, my surgery date, anyway).

My dh has had this "cold" (really it's only a mild sore throat) for a few days. No other symptoms.

I do NOT want to have the surgery if this increases the potential risks/complications. On the other hand, I do NOT want to mention it to anyone if it's really inconsequential but will cause them to cancel my surgery. I can't imagine another postponement, and I certainly don't want to have done 2 weeks of a liquid diet for naught.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Airborne...I am a third grade teacher surrounded by germs all day, and I swear by this herbal magic. You can buy it at Target or the like. Seriously, Airborne, extra Vitamin C...and chug more Water then you've had in ages. Oh...and force yourself to sleep a ton this weekend. You'll be fine!

Jon

Oops -- I forgot to mention that. I called the dr's office today and told them my dh had a slight sore throat and could I take Airborne to help avoid it? They said no because of the ginger in it.

But thanks for the thought!

First your monthly visitor and now a sore throat?!?!?!? Better before than after I guess! I have heard that you are OK with a slight sickness -- just no fever. What did the Doc's office say about it? Maybe you need to be a girl in a bubble for 2 weeks before surgery...........I ended up being sick with bronchitis right after my surgery. The coughing was unbearable -- so painful! I felt like I was going to pop my incisions. I would try to be a healthy as you can before going in............but if it's just a sore throat.......hmmmmmmmm

What about just plain old vitiman c drops. Recently my youngest got sick and I was taking a big trip soon so I started eating these things. And zinc logenzers. I managed to stay well and go on the trip. Unfortantly I didn't take any while gone...came home didn't sleep well for a couple of nights because daughter was still sick and ended up sick. But I did manage to keep from getting sick for almost 2 weeks. I would be very reluctant to say anything about a sore throat too. Especially if hubby has had it and there are no other symptoms. Good luck. I wonder what Ginger does that you can't have it before surgery. I have an addiction to ginger candy....didn't eat any right before or right after but I do eat it pretty reguarlly.

...Zinc with Vit C does work well on certain stages of sore throat, often totally banishing it in a matter of a day or two....

And I would tell my surgeon for sure about ANY such symptom, if it still remains...

Re: "don't want to have done 2 weeks of a liquid diet for naught."

Actually, since this is part of making you better able to recover from the effects of surgery, I believe it fits in nicely with your new life....and your new goals...

Thanks for your input, everyone! I've been doing Vit C for a few hours now and gargling w/ a mixture of Water and hydrogen peroxide (yuck) since last night and I'm feeling a LOT better.

I guess I should have worded the liquid diet thing better. I'm grateful for the 10+ lbs I've lost, but the thought of facing another 2 weeks of strictly liquid followed by a 2-week post-op liquid diet, in effect 6 weeks of liquid ONLY, is daunting. 4 weeks is hard enough I realize I'll be making drastic eating habit changes and facing liquid meals once in a while, but I do want to chew :nervous from time to time.

I had a cold when I went in, they said it wouldn't cause any problems...... and it didn't.

Yay! Glad to hear it -- and that it was a US doctor as well (I think the MX doctors pretty much allow anything).

First your monthly visitor and now a sore throat?!?!?!? Better before than after I guess! I have heard that you are OK with a slight sickness -- just no fever. What did the Doc's office say about it? Maybe you need to be a girl in a bubble for 2 weeks before surgery...........I ended up being sick with bronchitis right after my surgery. The coughing was unbearable -- so painful! I felt like I was going to pop my incisions. I would try to be a healthy as you can before going in............but if it's just a sore throat.......hmmmmmmmm

Bronchitis is the WORST! I don't feel like this is going to go there, though, which is why I'm still wanting to go through with the surgery.

I didn't tell the doc's office b/c I didn't want them to cancel me.

Zicam always works for me...it's available at Wal-Mart or any drug store. It's some k ind of homeopathic thing, which I don't understand, but it will prevent a cold if you take it when you first start feelingthe symptoms or make the cold shorter and less severe if you already have one. You ocan get ta bs to dissolve under your tongue or a nasal spray gel.

Good luck!

Emily