Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some help, advice and answers!

Hi all!

I just got back from the Dr's office with some bad news!

I've been diagnosed as diabetic.

I am 24, hispanic and confused as heck!

Can anyone tell me what this means?

or answer my questions including:

* Blood glucose testing-how/why is it done?

* What books or websites are good resources?

* How will I have to adjust my diet/exercise?

* Will I have to tell me parents? or Can I skip that part?

* Any special Vitamins that I need to take? or supplements?

* Are there such things as support groups for Diabetics?

* Does it matter If I'm type 1 or 2? Whats the difference?

* Insulin? glucose tablets?

* How will this affect my surgery?

* Do I need to inform my insurance? or will they find out on their own?

* Any way to reverse it?

Sadly, I only found out when my Dr asked me how long I have been Diabetic.

No sympathy or compassion from her!

Now I'm Scared and I feel Ashamed at being so young and being diagnosed.

I have a family history and I was last tested 2 years ago (came back negative),

but i'm even more scared of my families reaction to the news.

(They are all fit and relatively healthy with big opinions)

Any help, advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all!

I just got back from the Dr's office with some bad news!

I've been diagnosed as diabetic.

I am 24, hispanic and confused as heck!

Can anyone tell me what this means?

or answer my questions including:

* Blood glucose testing-how/why is it done? You test your blood sugar to ensure that your meds are keeping it in the "normal range 70-110. Simple to do: prick your finger, put the blood on the test strip that you insert in the "pocket-sized" device and voila! you are done.

* What books or websites are good resources? diabetesforums.com

* How will I have to adjust my diet/exercise? Exercise is really good for diabetics ... it can help bring your blood sugar down if it is high.

* Will I have to tell me parents? or Can I skip that part? Personally, I would tell my parents .. .it's hereditary so they may not even be surprised.

* Any special Vitamins that I need to take? or supplements? I take a daily Vitamin now, just as I did when I was diabetic.

* Are there such things as support groups for Diabetics? Online, definitely ... and at some hospitals as well.

* Does it matter If I'm type 1 or 2? Whats the difference? Better if you are 2 ... that one goes into remission. ;-)

* Insulin? glucose tablets? I was on insulin for about a week before being taken off because it was too much ... I only needed the pills.

* How will this affect my surgery? It's more like "how will the surgery effect my diabetes". Well, for me it had a positive effect ... I was off all meds within 6 months and after not seeing my endocrinologist since before lapband (I did speak to him on the phone to tell him about the surgery), I saw him this past Friday and he said "Congratulations! You are no longer diabetic." I was like "WOW!"

* Do I need to inform my insurance? or will they find out on their own? My insurance found out through my doctor.

* Any way to reverse it? Lapband reversed it for me ... but that does not happen for everyone ... especially if you are TYPE 1.

Sadly, I only found out when my Dr asked me how long I have been Diabetic.

No sympathy or compassion from her!

Now I'm Scared and I feel Ashamed at being so young and being diagnosed. You're about to have lapband surgery, don't be scared and DEFINITELY don't be ashamed! You're on your way to better health.

I have a family history and I was last tested 2 years ago (came back negative),

but i'm even more scared of my families reaction to the news.

(They are all fit and relatively healthy with big opinions)

Any help, advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hang in there Tan_ya, the lapband will probably make your diabetes a "thing of the past" in no time. Try to remember that you are 24 ... that makes you an adult. Don't worry about how your family members are going to react. You don't actually HAVE to tell them if it makes you anxious. But I will say this -- I am older and have kids close to your age -- no one is going to treat you like an adult until you accept that you ARE an adult. You are about to have lapband surgery and YOU made that decision for your life. That's an adult decision, remember that. Good luck to you.

We are here to support you. It's going to be a great journey!

~Fran

I can't understand why you would be ashamed about having diabetes. I also can't understand why you wouldn't tell the people close to you. If you have a medical emergency such as a hypoglycaemic episode (very low blood sugar) they need to know what is wrong, be able to recognise it and know what to do.

As for the rest of your questions phran seems to have given you some very good answers.

All the best.

Thanks for the info Fran!

@elcee I feel ashamed because of the stigma associated with it. My parents fought hard to keep me healthy growing up so it feels like I did this to myself. As to why I don't want to tell them, it's because they're rather vocal about their opinions and have big mouths so my extended family will prob find out as well. It's all so new to me that I want to research this first before anyone makes me feel bad/worse about being diabetic.

Hang in there Tan_ya, the lapband will probably make your diabetes a "thing of the past" in no time. Try to remember that you are 24 ... that makes you an adult. Don't worry about how your family members are going to react. You don't actually HAVE to tell them if it makes you anxious. But I will say this -- I am older and have kids close to your age -- no one is going to treat you like an adult until you accept that you ARE an adult. You are about to have lapband surgery and YOU made that decision for your life. That's an adult decision, remember that. Good luck to you.

~Fran

~Fran

Your words are so comforting and informative! Thank you for calming my nerves!!

Sorry about double post, doesn't work so well from my iphone.