Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight Loss...is this normal

Hi everyone. I am new here and i was banded 12-17-10 and to date I have only lost 40 pounds. Please don' t get me wrong I am very thankful for those pounds but am wondering if I am losing fast enough. I received a fill that actually worked in May 2011 and have lost about 10 pounds since then but really slow. I don need just a tad of a fill but my port is soooo deep that it is hard to find it las time after an hour I said forget it. I am planning to go back and try it again. Just wondering if this is normal.. and looking to make friends for support . Thanks for reading!

Hi everyone. I am new here and i was banded 12-17-10 and to date I have only lost 40 pounds. Please don' t get me wrong I am very thankful for those pounds but am wondering if I am losing fast enough. I received a fill that actually worked in May 2011 and have lost about 10 pounds since then but really slow. I don need just a tad of a fill but my port is soooo deep that it is hard to find it las time after an hour I said forget it. I am planning to go back and try it again. Just wondering if this is normal.. and looking to make friends for support . Thanks for reading!

I think 40 pounds is fantastic. I did not look at your profile, or have any idea what you want to lose, but I think you need to keep your eyes on the prize - and that (for me) is NOT continuing to gain weight and feeling better. I have not had a fill - only got my band in June - so I can't identify with how hard it might be to fill. Can something be done about its depth? So sorry.:o In any event, please continue to post and let everyone know how you are doing. :D

You should be having fills every 3-4 weeks until you reach a sweet spot. You should also be losing 1-2 pounds a week and if not, be speaking to your surgeon and dietician about adjusting both your band and your calorie intake. I would not have let it go this long and the only thing I would recommend is being in better touch with your doctor.

I did have 3-4 week visits with my doctor but because I was losing weight (on my own) he did not fill. It was only when my own weight loss slowed down and I realized that I could eat alot that I received my good fill. I have been back to the doctor since then and he is happy with my weight loss...just trying to find out what is normal......I know they say 1-2 pounds but does that really hold true for everyone?? Thanks for responding... I will go back soon for a little fill.....According to the dr. i require more of a fill than most . The depth of my port cant be changed without surgery so I will just have to grin and bear it! Thanks again.

You should be having fills every 3-4 weeks until you reach a sweet spot. You should also be losing 1-2 pounds a week and if not, be speaking to your surgeon and dietician about adjusting both your band and your calorie intake. I would not have let it go this long and the only thing I would recommend is being in better touch with your doctor.

Hi, thanks for writing. I am sure you will be fine... I seem to be the exception to the rule with most of this but I am still losing. I want to lose 103 more pounds.....we shall see. Are you exercising???? I was doing great at that until work started back....but I have recommitted myself to it. The depth is just wierd and can't be changed without surgery... I will just deal with it. Good Luck!

Teresa:0

I think 40 pounds is fantastic. I did not look at your profile, or have any idea what you want to lose, but I think you need to keep your eyes on the prize - and that (for me) is NOT continuing to gain weight and feeling better. I have not had a fill - only got my band in June - so I can't identify with how hard it might be to fill. Can something be done about its depth? So sorry.:o In any event, please continue to post and let everyone know how you are doing. :D

You are doing real good! Slow and steady wins the race! Your surgeon should be able to reach your port. Wonder why it is so deep. Good luck, Karen

I know EXACTLY what you are going through! I was banded in January 2011 and to date have only lost 30 pounds. I keep reading all of the other posts of people who have lost amazing amounts of weight in their first six months after surgery and it makes me feel like I am totally failing at this. I exercise regularly and have changed my eating habits, but I guess I just haven't found my "sweet spot" yet with my fills. While I am happy that I am steadily losing the weight, the slowness of it is rather discouraging. You are definitely not alone!!