Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgeon not doing lapband now

I'm in the 5th month of the 6th month insurance ordered pre-op nutrition counseling, etc. I went to a monthly appt yesterday and was told that the surgeon I preferred "now does very little to none" as far as lap band surgery. They said that she's doing more reversals/removals and doesn't have a lot of faith in lapband anymore. Has anyone had similar experiences? Not sure what to do. Where I'm going is a reputable place. ugh...

well... what are your options?

i have an appt to meet with the surgeon to discuss my options, but if she's a "no" I was told the only other surgeon in their practice is one who still needs to be proctored for several more surgeries before he can do it himself -- this is not an option for me! I checked in with another surgery location and was told by someone not affiliated with them that there follow-up is horrible -- feel like I'm running out of options....

I think you need to find another facility, even if you have to travel a little. I wouldnt want a surgeon who doesnt have faith in the procedure operating on me. Good luck with everything!

Ask your insurance company if they can recommend a surgeon in your area.

If your doctor is doing that many removals then, I'm thinking she probably isn't educating her patients properly. That or she just found something more lucrative to do. Find a new doctor. Here is a list of Doctors in Pennsylvania:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/1851-pennsylvania/

Cindy C has a huge point....if she is doing that many removals she isn't putting them in correctly or the aftercare sucks majorly.......or there is big money in yanking them out!!!!

I so wish you the best...I couldn't keep my wt down without the band...and lots of exercise, LOL!!!

Mimi

I'm in the 5th month of the 6th month insurance ordered pre-op nutrition counseling, etc. I went to a monthly appt yesterday and was told that the surgeon I preferred "now does very little to none" as far as lap band surgery. They said that she's doing more reversals/removals and doesn't have a lot of faith in lapband anymore. Has anyone had similar experiences? Not sure what to do. Where I'm going is a reputable place. ugh...

If you can find a hospital that is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center, there are four in Pennsylvania, you can be assured of proper education, professionalism, and, imho, a much better outlook.

The very best of luck to you.

thank you everyone for your replies, suggestions and encouragement -- at this point, I just feel like I've been taken advantage of. Why wait until the month before a tentative surgery date to tell me you're not doing the lap band procedure??? I've been researching, prepping and hoping for a positive outcome for seven months and feel as though it was all a scam. I will start researching further...thanks again!

I am sure you are NOT the only one in that line of patients, but maybe this is a blessing in desguise, better to avoid a problem than complications later. For what ever her reasons, you are better OFF, be very sure to get your records! and find an alternative Dr and keep in contact with insurance co so you dont have to start over, Sometimes things happen for a GOOD reason... Keep us posted! I am sure it is gonna be better than OK

Very good point!

If your doctor is doing that many removals then, I'm thinking she probably isn't educating her patients properly. That or she just found something more lucrative to do. Find a new doctor. Here is a list of Doctors in Pennsylvania:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/1851-pennsylvania/

Get copies of all your records before you leave, that way you have no issues or delays when it comes to your documented 6 months of supervised diet!

If your doctor is doing that many removals then, I'm thinking she probably isn't educating her patients properly. That or she just found something more lucrative to do.

I disagree. There are a lot of surgeons who are losing faith in lapbands. They can be great but the rate of complications by the 5 year mark is high and some surgeons don't like the numbers.

I disagree. There are a lot of surgeons who are losing faith in lapbands. They can be great but the rate of complications by the 5 year mark is high and some surgeons don't like the numbers.

Actually, according to most studies, the long term complication rate is around 8%. I'll take those odds any day!