Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to get protein levels up-protein shakes?

:DHi I am new to the forum this is my first post. I am 7 months post banding and have really good restriciton so am finding it difficult to get good quantities of Protein in. i am losing weight steadily at the moment and my band is tighter in the morning so i tend not to have Breakfast apart from a cup of tea no food til lunch time. I am walking 4 times per week at the moment and am wondering if i could supplement my diet with a Protein Shake in the mornings??? would it do harm to my weight loss to have a Protein Drink in the mornings especially as i am not doing any high intensity exercise?? also what amount of carbs is acceptable in a protein drink?? sorry for the ramble thanks in advance for any help

I don't think you would do any harm. I have a Protein smoothy for breakfast most days. I have met goal and lost my weight doing so. I use a blender and add fruit, Protein Powder and milk. Others drink Muscle Milk and the like. You will probably be fine. Karen

I am 7 months post band also. I can't eat until about 11-12ish because I feel tighter in the mornings, so I drink Protein Shakes every morning. I find that it helps me get all the Protein intake I need. I either do the EAS protein shakes that are 110 calories and 17 grams of protein or the Oh Yeah Cookies and Cream that are 220 calories and 32 grams of protein. I have to change it up sometimes so I don't get bored with the flavors. I've lost 138 lbs in the past 7 months, so I'm guessing it can't be too much of a problem to do this :)

I also cannot eat solid food in the AM - I always have a Protein shake. I drink the Atkins Dark Choc Royale - it has 15 grams of Protein and REALLY low carbs - the cheapest I can find it is at Wal-Mart, 4 for 5.00. The powders are way cheaper, but I don't like messing with them, so the pre-mades work really nice for me. Just remember when trying to choose, you want High protein and Low carbs.

:DHi I am new to the forum this is my first post. I am 7 months post banding and have really good restriciton so am finding it difficult to get good quantities of protein in. i am losing weight steadily at the moment and my band is tighter in the morning so i tend not to have breakfast apart from a cup of tea no food til lunch time. I am walking 4 times per week at the moment and am wondering if i could supplement my diet with a Protein Shake in the mornings??? would it do harm to my weight loss to have a protein drink in the mornings especially as i am not doing any high intensity exercise?? also what amount of carbs is acceptable in a protein drink?? sorry for the ramble thanks in advance for any help

You should have a Protein shake to up your Protein Level. It's like Gas in the Tank. We all need it.

I use Muscle Milk Light in a variety of flavors I don't recommend their plain chocolate, "it's LOUSEY" I buy their chocolate Milk in powder, and use that as chocolate. It is very good! 195 calories per 8 oz shake, and 25 G. of protein.

Go to ebay, and type in muscle milk light and look at the flavors, and then check out the prices.

If you are interested, I can get a 1 1/2lb jug of most flavors for under $19.00 a jug. Shipping $5.99 for 1 or 101, It's still the same price.

If interested pm me, and I will give the Website.

Shirley.

I use the Unjury chocolate Splendor in milk every morning. It tastes just like chocolate milk. It is about 30 grams of Protein. If I don't hit my protein requirements for the day I also have another one before bed after I work out. Good Luck!

I too drink a Protein drink every morning. I'm too tight in the morning to eat, and would not get in the recommended amount of protein if I didn't. I use the powdered Muscle Milk Light with soymilk. I buy it at costco and it isn't too expensive.

thanks so much for all the replies and useful info guys think i will give it a go :)

:DHi I am new to the forum this is my first post. I am 7 months post banding and have really good restriciton so am finding it difficult to get good quantities of Protein in. i am losing weight steadily at the moment and my band is tighter in the morning so i tend not to have breakfast apart from a cup of tea no food til lunch time. I am walking 4 times per week at the moment and am wondering if i could supplement my diet with a Protein shake in the mornings??? would it do harm to my weight loss to have a protein drink in the mornings especially as i am not doing any high intensity exercise?? also what amount of carbs is acceptable in a protein drink?? sorry for the ramble thanks in advance for any help

I did fine on the Protein drinks pre-surgery for 7 days but after my surgery I couldn't stand the smell from across the room. My taste buds had changed and I couldn't do them anymore. After a week of only being able to drink Water (and 1 bottle of Water in that week) I went back to my doctor and he told me about liquid Protein shakes. Small 3 oz vials that pack 42 grams of protein. I will say even they were difficult for me to get down because since my surgery I can't really take sweet too much and these are sorta heavy in the aspartame sweetner but it was less liquid to drink for more grams of protein.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=YQ-1021

Edited by justmermp

My surgeon (who has a lapband himself) specifically suggests that we have a Protein Shake for breakfast. He (and the nutritionists in his office) suggest 70-75 grams of Protein each day, which is more than most suggest, I think.