Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding if this is for me

Hi, I am just beginning my research phase on the Lap Band procedure, so haven't yet attended a seminar or anything. I am 31 years old, 185 pounds, have a BMI of 32 with asthma and high cholesterol. I know I'm considered on the "smaller" scale, but when I found out the FDA approved it for people like me, I got very excited and started researching it right away. I am very unhappy with my weight and body image. I started gaining weight when I was 22, starting at 125 pounds, which is my goal weight. I've tried numerous ways to lose weight, but none that had permanent results. I exercise regularly and am working on improving my diet. I just don't know yet if this is the right decision for someone like me. I think it is definitely a lifestyle change that would give me the results I need, but everyone I tell about it doesn't think so. Any advice or help is much appreciated!

You are the only one who can decide it is right for you. That being said, do alot of research, talk to everyone, know the good and the bad of the lapband. It took me over a year to decide to get it done. I gave myself that long to try and lose it myself, and i only lost 15 lbs in the time. I ate decent, i worked out 5 days a week, but after getting the lapband, found that my problem was i was eating way too much. i am still amazed at how little i eat now with the band. You do have to use the "tool", that is what i call mine. It is a tool and if you don't work with it, it will not be successful. It is one leg of a 3 legged stool, diet and exercise are the other two legs. without those 2 legs the stool falls down, meaning the band failed. It is not an instant fix and i think alot of people think that is is. It is a lifestyle change, and so is the gastric bypass. You don't eat right, you won't have success. I had mine done 4 months ago and i am still liking it. I am down 33 lbs now and have lost 3 dress sizes. You need to attend a seminar and consult with a surgeon and go from there.

good luck in your decision.

Hi, I am just beginning my research phase on the Lap Band procedure, so haven't yet attended a seminar or anything. I am 31 years old, 185 pounds, have a BMI of 32 with asthma and high cholesterol. I know I'm considered on the "smaller" scale, but when I found out the FDA approved it for people like me, I got very excited and started researching it right away. I am very unhappy with my weight and body image. I started gaining weight when I was 22, starting at 125 pounds, which is my goal weight. I've tried numerous ways to lose weight, but none that had permanent results. I exercise regularly and am working on improving my diet. I just don't know yet if this is the right decision for someone like me. I think it is definitely a lifestyle change that would give me the results I need, but everyone I tell about it doesn't think so. Any advice or help is much appreciated!

The best thing to do is attend one or more informational seminars and some support groups. Please do not listen to anyone who has not actually had the surgery. The information coming from friends and relatives are usually filled with misleading and incorrect information. The lapband is something that can be adjusted if you find eating is difficult or if, after a period of time, you are suddenly hungry again. If you have problems with "getting sick", which is an exaggeration of getting food "stuck" so that it doesn't pass through the band, then it's probably the type of food you are eating, your speed of eating or a lack of chewing.

What I am trying to say is that you cannot compare the side effects of the band with gastric bypass. My doctor is famous for saying that you can choose the bypass and he does all the work and, at first, you don't have to work as hard, or you can choose the band, which is hardly any work for him, but lots of work for you. The band simply keeps the food in a location where it activates the nerves that tell your brain you aren't hungry anymore.

If you eat liquid calories like shakes, ice cream, Soups, etc. and/or you are not willing to work on learning to recognize/retrain your hunger cues, then this isn't the surgery for you. But, a visit with the surgeon is the best way to find out. The surgeon should ask you questions to help you determine if you are a good candidate for this surgery!

I love my band, but I do work hard. However, I feel supported by my doctors and support group and feel like my weight loss WILL be successful and long lasting this time.

Good luck....remember...ONLY listen to patients and then, ONLY after you learn about the procedure so that you know if people who are displeased have followed the program because you have to attend support groups and see the doctor regularly in order to have long lasting success.

I'm in the same boat as you, you wrote like it was me you're talking about lol, but i'm 10 years older.. I have been reading reading others posts re there doctors putting them on a diet first? are you suposed to go to your doctor? I just submitted my insurance info to see if i qualified, I guess i will wait and see? what have you done?

No one can tell you what is or isn't right for you, but I can give you my opinion on banding. I think it is a fantastic TOOL to help weight loss. It's not a magic item that causes the weight to melt - you have to be aware of what you are eating- for example, ice cream goes through a band wonderfully! It takes some work, but if weight loss is your goal & you are committed, you can easily lose the weight

That being said I can tell you that I started at nearly 263 pounds and I was banded June 8, 2010; since then I have lost 98 pounds and just had my Tummy Tuck on August 26

My band is the BEST thing I have done for ME

I wish you all the best in your journey :-)