Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from NC - many questions and simple excitement

I am 40 years old and have been overweight since I was in my early 20's. My current BMI is 36.5 and I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea and reflux. I have been working with my surgeon since May and have been progressing quickly through the process. I have had my psych consultation, have been attending monthly support group meetings, meeting with my Dietician and had my first Upper GI. Unfortunately, the Upper GI showed sings of extreme reflux, gatritis, etc. NOW, the GI doc does not recommend me for the band until I go through 8 weeks of meds (proton pump inhibitor) and have another Upper GI, currently scheduled for October 6th. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed but happy to find out I had these issues (since I have never had any sigs of reflux). As a newbie going through the process, have any of you had similiar issues with the upper GI? Also, how do you handle immediate family members (my partner of 9 years) that are only partially supportive? I feel like it is the same old "recommendation" to "stay focused, try harder, don't give up" as it relates to my time in the gym and eating healthier. I completely understand this is a life changing event and I will need to eat healthier and work out consistently. However, I need the additional help of the band. My partner wants to "bargain" with me by saying, "I'll support IF you go to the gym 4 times a week and watch what you eat for 6 weeks and you dont lose weight". We have even attended support group meetings together so she is not totally uninvolved or supportive. Any suggestions? I have also decided not to share with anyone else except my mom - who is very supportive. Once you have surgery, how do you reconcile the "non-hunger feeling" vs. the "mental desire" for the act of chewing out of bordom and social eating with friends and family?

Thanks!

Congratulations on the start of your journey to your new life! You need to do this for YOU not anyone else. I don't like it when people who don't understand anything about the band or are not over weight but tell you what they think you need to do. The lapband is a tool and it will not work if you don't do the work too. I think of it like one leg of a 3 legged stool, the other two are all about you, diet and exercise. It is there to help you and if you use it and don't abuse it, it will help you.

you do what is right for you and no one else. I don't know how long the mental hunger is there, as i still have that feeling. LOL! i am still amazed at how much less i eat and am satisfied, but sometimes i am like "oh i wish i could eat more of that." Don't let anyone discourage you from your efforts. you are doing this to get healthy and to live life. and you deserve that, we all do!