Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Restriction Is The Right Amount?

Hi All,

I have been banded a while now and have been on solids for few weeks.

Like every new bandster, I had heard the stories about not being able to eat certain foods (and the vomitting etc), but so far I have managed to eat everything I have tried with very little problem. In fact if I didn't know better I'd say they had forgotten to put the band in !

I curently have a 10ml band with 0 in it, and although I have little restriction in terms of what food I can eat, I am only able to eat small amounts before I am no longer hungry (around half of what I could before). I am eating 3 meals a day, keeping consistently under 1000 cals and am not snacking or feeling hungry at all. I also seem capable of making decent food choices or at least when I do treat myself I am able to compensate throughout the day to keep under my calorie goal.

I am feeling pretty comfortable and seem to be losing weight steadily. But I also feel having spent all this money on a band that I should be racing out to get it filled at the first opportunity and have the heightened level of restriction that others seem to have, otherwise it would be cheating.

Anyone else felt like this after being banded?

Thanks

Tel

I know exactly how you feel. I had mind done in April and did not get a fill for 6 weeks after and felt like i was eating like i did before the band, like it was not even there. LOL

but once i got my first fill, i noticed that i was eating alot less. i am on my 4th fill now and finally have good restriction. I eat about 1 to 1 1/2 cups per meal and i eat until i am satisfied, not full.

Everyone is different in the amount that is right for them. Some get the restriction right away, some it takes a few fills. You will know what is right for you after your first fill. :) Hope this helps :)

I was banded in March 2011 & for me it was after the 2nd fill when I could start to really feel this thing giving restriction. You will know when it's right for you :) It might just take awhile then everything changes.

I had lapband surgery in July. When I started eating solid foods I haven't had any problems at all. I got my first fill week ago. I'm eating a lot less and I don't feel hungry all the time now.

See this is my problem. I don't feel hungry all the time at all. I have very little restriction and I can eat any food with no problem. . . . BUT even without restriction, I am already eating a lot less portions and still feeling satisfied for 4+ hrs after each meal, I am losing weight and quite easily sticking to my calorie goal each day. . . . . . . .It seems a little too good to be true at the moment. But I still feel like I SHOULD have a fill because I know my band is empty and I am not getting the nasty side of things. I feel if I don't then I will be cheating, yet I am not convinced I need one as things seem to be going well

Very confusing :blink:

@telby that's awesome...I would say that as long as you are losing at a rate you're happy with & you're staying full then you may just be getting enough from the band w/no fill. I know of at least one person on here that has lost over 100 lbs without a fill. :)

I know of at least one person on here that has lost over 100 lbs without a fill. :)

Really? That makes me fill a little more normal !

I mean it maybe that my portion sizes and calorie intake might start to creep up and I should get a fill, but my head is telling me that I am currently very comfortable with my current restriction. It's just this nagging feeling that it should be harder than this and I should be harder on myself like others are.

Just go with how you feel, some people dont need as many fills as others. It's different for everyone. Sounds like you are doing well as is. I know I didnt feel much restriction until my 3rd fill. Congrats on your progress!

You are eating smaller portions, not snacking and you are not hungry. What do you think that means?

It means the band is doing what it is supposed to do. That is what "restriction" is supposed to feel like.

What restriction isn't :-

Not being able to eat certain foods

Feeling full after only 2 or 3 bites

Feeling full on 1/2 cup of food and then not feeling hungry again till your next mealtime

A physical feeling that stops you from eating too much

Something that stops you eating high cal foods

If that is what you are aiming for you are likely to end up too tight, miserable, you may get reflux, you will probably gain weight and your band may even slip.

Your band is doing exactly what it should be doing at the moment. Do not rush to get filled as quickly as possible and do not go chasing an elusive "sweet spot" - that often leads to problems.

You're doing just fine. You're one of the lucky ones who has results from the band, even without any fills. Enjoy it, and congrats!

There is a topic in this forum with lots of people responding about having no fill. Check it out...No Fills LBT

I'm going to cut and paste my post in that topic.....

I had surgery May 23rd and do not have a fill. I don't have a lot of restriction and I could eat as much as I wanted if I let myself. But if I stick to my right portions and follow the instructions, then I am not hungry in between meals, which is what I want. I eat 1100-1200 calories a day. I dont ever get "full", but I am satisfied. I've never been stuck, I've never thrown up. I saw my surgeon 2 weeks ago and together we decided on no fill because right now things seem to be working. I'm losing weight consistently and do not get hungry.

That doesn't mean that sometimes I dont crave food or that I dont want to use food in the destructive ways I used to. I have "head hunger" all the time. It is as much a mental game as it is a physical one. But without the physical hunger, I am able to talk myself out of the mental stuff.

I'm plan on getting a fill when one of 2 things happens...

1) I start getting physically hungry in between meals

2) If I start eating larger and larger amounts of food or start binging (had problems with binging for many, many years)

I am in the same place as you. Mind you, I've only been on solids for a few days but I have no fill, eat three small meals a day and am satisfied and stay under 1000-1200 calories. I like where I'm at. I'm consistently losing weight and I dont worry about food getting stuck or throwing up. It's ideal really. I went out to eat tonight with my husband and ate of the kids menu for the first time sine being banded and was so satisfied. It's a goof place to be :-)

I have been banded for almost 9 months and have only had one fill (which I received 3 months after surgery). I feel like you do...I can eat any type of food just less of it (1,100-1,200 calories a day) and stay satisfied for 4-5 hours. This amount of "restriction" has worked well for me - I've lost 103 lbs so far - so my suggestion is to make it work the best way for you. Don't go chasing a fill just because you think you should because you had surgery - for some people, the simple act of having the band inserted provides enough restriction.