Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing myself

Hi,

I am 39 and have been overweight for most of my life. I decided to go have the lap band

11 weeks after my informational seminar I am scheduled for Surgery on September 13, 2011.

This has been a very smooth process except for finding out that I have sleep apena and require a cpap machine.

This was very difficult for me to accept as it feels like I am suffocating when it was on for a short period. I hope I can get over this hurdle.

I have a cruise in April and hope to have to buy all new clothes for the trip.

If you were to give someone tips that you would have like to know while you were going through it what would it be?

Hi,

I am 39 and have been overweight for most of my life. I decided to go have the lap band

11 weeks after my informational seminar I am scheduled for Surgery on September 13, 2011.

This has been a very smooth process except for finding out that I have sleep apena and require a cpap machine.

This was very difficult for me to accept as it feels like I am suffocating when it was on for a short period. I hope I can get over this hurdle.

I have a cruise in April and hope to have to buy all new clothes for the trip.

If you were to give someone tips that you would have like to know while you were going through it what would it be?

Hi there and welcome to our forum,

It is not uncommon for overweight people to have sleep apnea. But a lot of people are able to give their cpap machines the boot after they lose weight, You will get used to the mask and the machine and it is really important for your health that you do. There are lots of different types of masks so work with your provider if the one you have is too difficult for you. I have been on a machine for ten years due to my weight. It took me about a month to accept my machine and sleep all night with it. Over time, I realized how much better I was feeling.

Congratulations on being approved and scheduled! I am still pre-op--have one more nutrition visit before mine can be submitted for insurance approval. I am hoping for October sometime. I just want to encourage you to follow your surgeon's instructions to the tee, eat your Protein, exercise as much as you can, and drink your Water. I bet you will be able to buy lots of new clothes for your cruise if you do.

Drop in often and keep us posted on your progress! All the best to you,

Melinda

congrats on making the decision to have lapband surgery.. I don't regret the decision to have the surgery. I have been banded for seven months as of today to be exact.. I have lost 55 pounds.. I started in a size 22 currently in a 16 and some 14s. You will also realize that its going to take you longer to see the changes verses your family and friends.. I told everyone about my surgery howeever some people decide not to and keep it to themselves.. i found easier to tell them which means that they would be supportive.. if someone tells you that you are cheating tell them no you are'nt and its a tool because the band itself won't let you lose weight.. you still have to watch what you eat and exercise.. i will tell someone in a heart beat that..

You are going to need to get you some gas x strips the blue ones.. and a heating pad.. it works help with the gas pain.. which is horrible.. but once you get pass it you will be find.. make sure that you don't leave the hospital without a prescription for antinausea medication whether or not you need it its better to be safe than sorry.. I had issues about four days later when i got in the car for the first time.. I ended up getting car sick.. I wanted to die but that was seven months ago.. After surgery make yourself get up as soon as possible and WALK!!! Walking helsp with the gas pain also.. I also recommend you going grocery shopping prior to surgery.. you will need Jello, juice, Water, chicken broth or beef.. i got the one in the green box that you add water.. only one I could tolerate. i also got the smartwater because of the electrolytes.. i drank crystal light.. thats my new crack (instead of diet mt dews)..

don't get discourage if you don't lose weight when you transist from liquids to mushies.. remember to walk.. I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk until i was 8 weeks post op.. thats also when i had my first feel each doctor is different.. you will learn that also..