Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting To Begin My Lap Band Journey

I am new to this site but have been researching the Lap-Band for a year in order to make sue this was the right choice for me.

I have been concerned as to whether Bluecross Fed will cover me.

I have been to the Drs one sort of another since January of this year so I should have a running record of my weight. I also have a BMI of 45.5, 134lbs over ideal weight, high blood pressure, degenerative arthritis, DISH disease, Gout, and sleep Apnea. I'm hoping that it will be enough for Bluecross to approve me the first time out. I will find out more tomorrow when i see the Dr for the first time. Really looking forward to starting my journey. I had a friend try and talk me into doing it with her last year but I it wasn't the right time for me and I didn't want to be talked into a life changing decision.

I have had a year to realize that the older I get the harder it is to lose the weight and I know I will never lose enough on my own to get to a healthy weight. I know the Lap-band is only a tool and that it will require dedication to eating right and exercise. I am actually looking forward to the exercise part, I'm just too darn heavy to exercise without severe knee pain.

Gout has also been a fear of mine since everytime I lost weight I would have a severe Gout attack. My arthritis Dr. changed me over to Uloric and so far I have not had any attacks this year and usually I have 4 or more a year. My fear is getting an attack while on the pre-op diet and not being able to go through with the procedure.

Has anyone who had the procedure had problems with Gout? If so, what was your experience?

I have BCBS and I understand they are one of the quickest to approve lap band surgery, it took far longer for the Dr. to get the papers to them than for them to approve was almost immediately done. Hope things go well for you.

Take Care

ROSSTHEBOSS

I have BCBS and I understand they are one of the quickest to approve lap band surgery, it took far longer for the Dr. to get the papers to them than for them to approve was almost immediately done. Hope things go well for you.

Take Care

ROSSTHEBOSS

Thank you for your reply Ross. Looks like you are doing great with your lap-band. Keep up the good work.

SaltyDawg

Well I had my first Consult today and the Dr said I was a good candidate for the lap-band. I found out that BCBS Fed requires a 3 month supervised diet by my primary Dr and the fact that I have already made my deductable this year it should only cost me $300.00 for the Surgery if I can get it approved and done this year. Hopefully I can get my "Diet" and pre-op stuff done by Early Nov, get approved and get a Surgery date sometime in December. One can only hope. I was a bit let down when I found out it would be November before we could submit the paperwork to the Ins Co. I was told that it takes less than 2 weeks to get an approval.

Hi Bandsters and Future Bandsters, My name is Karina, and I'm a lapband patient since Nov 2010. I have lost 63 lbs since my lapband and I'm looking for people that would like to hear my story, or people that just need support or advice, I'm here for all of you. We need eachothers support. Please follow me on my Facebook, www.facebook.com/kfrancolapband

Well I finally got all the pre-op ins appointments done and met with my surgeon today. Things are going well and I got my date. It's Dec.14 it could have been the 7th but my pre-op diet would have to start tomorrow. Not on your life. Thanksgiving is 2 days away. Not giving that one up this year. Christmas dinner I can do and should be on puréed foods by then. Anyway I just wanted to update my situation. I am ready to start my new life. Im nervous but also very excited.

YEAH! Join us in the December Bandsters thread!!! My Band date is 12/12. We have a secret Facebook group too if you are interested in-box me ! Congrats!!!