Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when are fills no longer needed

I spoke to a friend last night, who had her surgery in Feb. 2010, She told me, she hasnt seen a doctor...(since her surgeon left town), in 8 months. She hasnt had any fills in her band. I know about 2 months ago, she was trying to find a new doctor to take her. I dont know what reason she has for not finding a new one, I know she has insurance.

Is this soon enough for her to stop getting fills? How long do fills usually continue? She had alot more weight to lose, she didnt give me a reason and I didnt delve, thinking if she wanted to discuss it more, she would have.

But, does there come a time when you just stop getting fills? and what happens to the band when you do???

I wonder this myself!

I think it's different for everyone. Some people do hit their goal weight and enter maintenance, and they don't need further tweaking.

Ok, but what happens to the band? does it just stay right there? I have heard it can errode or even grow down into the stomach??

It just happens over time, everyone is a bit different, but good restriction is really about fills that last, at least as much as being at a certain point where you cant eat more than a cup or whatever measure your doctor advises. I found that every fill spurred weight loss, but my first fill have me restriction that petered out after four weeks, the second and third were the same and then I started going back to the doctor more like three monthly. I had fairly regular (but teeny tiny, I have a 4cc band) fills and contact with my doctor for the first year, and then I probably only had two fills the second year, just to top me back up. After that I went about 18 months with no contact with my doctor at all, then called in just for a check up but not fill, and about a year after that, I had another teeny tiny fill again, just a top up to bring me back to the restriction I had.

Then a year or so later I was diagnosed with bowel cancer, had to be completely unfilled for a surgery, and then back to the routine of three weekly visits to get me back to my normal restriction. We went quicker this time because we knew what I could handle. Now I'm back to normal, I probably wont check in for a year or so.

When you dont have a fill for a long time, a tiny amount does evaporate. Over time you gradually may find you're eating a bit faster, eating a bit more, not paying as much attention, and you realise restriction has lessened a little - its a very subtle thing. That's when you go back for a tiny top up fill IF you want to - if you're eating more, but not gaining weight there's no problem. I always find my weight starts to swing around by a pound or two, and I'd rather act before I have 5 or more pounds to lose.

Jachut, how long have u been banded? Im still in the very early stages, judged banded 8/19/11. Do u feel "normal" with your band? I've heard some people only being able to eat like half a cup. That doesn't sound like much even if u r banded and have a fill....