Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal? (Dietician/Doc question)

Hello!

I didn't put this under the insurance forum because I know I'm covered and I know my benefits - but the doc's office I went to for a consultation did something that I thought was odd.

I met with the doctor very briefly and he showed me a video. Prior to going in the desk person said she'd double booked me so I understood he may be a little rushed. I was a little un-nerved but shrugged at it, I figured I'd get more time with him later.

Then I was to meet with the dietician. They had said at some point I'd meet with her - they didn't say it would be my first visit. I said that my insurance would cover it - as I had checked with my plan manager 3x's. I was told that they NEVER cover it and besides, the dietician doesn't "get involved" with that (insurance). So, it would be $50 out of pocket.

She came in after the doctor - and very unprofessionally had a wad of checks and her 'take' for the day in her hand. She asked me to tell her what I ate in a day and wrote it down. That was it. She said it was for insurance purposes.

I was dumbfounded. I hadn't even chosen this doctor yet. Why did they just take $50 from me for insurance reasons when I may not even go with them.

Being in that situation it is hard to stop and take a moment because you want to be polite and not make a scene. I emailed the desk person later asking for a general release of info form to send to various doctors - she said 'oh we don't do that, that's on you' ... oooohkay... fine. I also explained I felt a little bit railroaded by the dietician situation and asked what happens if I go with another doctor. She said I was free to do that but I wouldn't get my money back because she provided me a service.

IMHO - this "service" shouldn't even be occuring until I'm commited to this office.

Did I just get ripped off?

Oh, also, I have to take a $150 mandatory class with the dietician and see her 4-5 more times at $50 each. Does that sound right?!?

Wow! Sounds quite unprofessional to me. I had to pay $25 at the seminar I went to, but that was only if I decided I wanted to get in to the program. I have seen the dietitian twice and will see her once more before my surgery. I have NEVER had to pay anything to her. And this was before I even knew that the insurance was going to cover everything. I would be looking for a different surgeon if this happened to me. How dare they treat you that way!! Getting banded is a very important decision in a person's life and you need to be totally comfy with all aspects of the program. I don't want to say you got "ripped off" but I do think their business practices are a little questionable.

Wow! Sounds quite unprofessional to me. I had to pay $25 at the seminar I went to, but that was only if I decided I wanted to get in to the program. I have seen the dietitian twice and will see her once more before my surgery. I have NEVER had to pay anything to her. And this was before I even knew that the insurance was going to cover everything. I would be looking for a different surgeon if this happened to me. How dare they treat you that way!! Getting banded is a very important decision in a person's life and you need to be totally comfy with all aspects of the program. I don't want to say you got "ripped off" but I do think their business practices are a little questionable.

Thank you !

My only concern now is if this office is the only game going as far as location and who is "in network" for me.

I'm in south Denver, CO. The office I went to was Dr. Chea's. I read in another forum that a few years ago a lot of the patients had issues getting appts etc. I am hoping I can find another Dr!

are you talking to the person in your office that does the insurance or the insurance company? I would definately call the insurance company and make sure THEY know what kind of "in network" doctor they have.

are you talking to the person in your office that does the insurance or the insurance company? I would definately call the insurance company and make sure THEY know what kind of "in network" doctor they have.

Good point. I had planned to call them to see if they had other options. I see there are other surgeons in the area but they too fall under the HealthOne umbrella - I will be curious to see if they have the same policies. I am fortunate enough to have a fairly cadillac plan for insurance and don't mind the out of pockets, but the whole thing seemed shady.

If this is standard practice and I am the one in the wrong, then okay... then I'm just dealing with unprofessional office management.

I really hope you find someone you are comfortable with and who has a more professional system. There are only a few programs in my area so I got lucky. Best of luck to you!! smile.gif

I really hope you find someone you are comfortable with and who has a more professional system. There are only a few programs in my area so I got lucky. Best of luck to you!! smile.gif

Thank you so much! I'm glad I found this forum :)

Are you recently banded? How did it all go for you?

I wouldn't think that was normal, no. I'd be wary.

get a hold of "woodslass" she is a member here and had her surgery in Denver this April. I know she was happy with her doctor

Hello!

I didn't put this under the insurance forum because I know I'm covered and I know my benefits - but the doc's office I went to for a consultation did something that I thought was odd.

I met with the doctor very briefly and he showed me a video. Prior to going in the desk person said she'd double booked me so I understood he may be a little rushed. I was a little un-nerved but shrugged at it, I figured I'd get more time with him later.

Then I was to meet with the dietician. They had said at some point I'd meet with her - they didn't say it would be my first visit. I said that my insurance would cover it - as I had checked with my plan manager 3x's. I was told that they NEVER cover it and besides, the dietician doesn't "get involved" with that (insurance). So, it would be $50 out of pocket.

She came in after the doctor - and very unprofessionally had a wad of checks and her 'take' for the day in her hand. She asked me to tell her what I ate in a day and wrote it down. That was it. She said it was for insurance purposes.

I was dumbfounded. I hadn't even chosen this doctor yet. Why did they just take $50 from me for insurance reasons when I may not even go with them.

Being in that situation it is hard to stop and take a moment because you want to be polite and not make a scene. I emailed the desk person later asking for a general release of info form to send to various doctors - she said 'oh we don't do that, that's on you' ... oooohkay... fine. I also explained I felt a little bit railroaded by the dietician situation and asked what happens if I go with another doctor. She said I was free to do that but I wouldn't get my money back because she provided me a service.

IMHO - this "service" shouldn't even be occuring until I'm commited to this office.

Did I just get ripped off?

Oh, also, I have to take a $150 mandatory class with the dietician and see her 4-5 more times at $50 each. Does that sound right?!?

Like the others said it sounds like they have some backwards practices and I would try to find another doctor. My hubby is Navy so I am primarily going to the Naval Hospital but they did refer me out for the sleep study. When the one hospital called to schedule the sleep study they were booking for 2 months out. I wanted to get in sooner so they just gave me a list of other Tricare drs I could go to and I called, made the appt. and they faxed the referral over to them. How frustrating for you! I hope there is someone else you can choose from. Good Luck!

HELLO

DURING MY VISITS I SAW THE NUTRITIONIST WHO WAS LOCATED IN THE SAME HOSPITAL MY SURGEON PRACTICES.HOWEVER YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO CHOOSE UNDER WHOS AVAILABLE UNDER YOUR INSURANCE ,WHICH INFORMS U THE REQUIRED PROCEDURES NEEDED.iF YOU HAVE COMPLICATIONS LIKE sleep APNIA WILL REQUIRE AN EXTRA EXAM . mY DOCTOR HAD A QUESTIONARE WHICH SCREENS WHO WOULD HAVE IT.tHE NUTRITIONIST I SAW HER ONCE AND THATS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED, UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY FELT YOU NEEDED TO SEE HERFOR MORE SUPPORT, THEN ALOT OF INSURANCE WILL REQUIRE A REFERRAL.ALL EXAMS INCLUDING THE PSYCHOLOGICAL IS ONE INCLUDING THE ENDOSCOPY ARE ALL EXAMS PRIOR TO SURGERY INCLUDING A CHEST XRAY.tHE PRIMARY UNDER MY INSURANCE MONITORED ME FOR 6 MONTHS AND DISCUSSED DIET AND EXERCISE . hIS NOTES ARE REQUIRED AND ARE SENT TO THE INSURANCE STATING YOU NEED THE SURGERY.

i HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL.IF UNCOMFORTABLE WITH SURGEON THEN SWITCH. INSURANCE IS TO EXPENSIVE TO BE JERKED AROUND BY THESE SO CALL PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST IN THEIR PATIENTS.

I did pay for my dietician who was with my doctor because it is mostly required by insurances and it was convenient. She wasnt much help except to get my surgery but I met with her once a month for six months the first visit was 150 and the rest were 50. Some doctors have nutritionist working with them but they get paid by us not the doctor and if your insurance does pay for a nutritionist it probably wont cover all of it. After the seminar if you were not planning on using him why would you visit his office anyway? Just askin not being smart. I would have went to a few more seminars by different doctors. I never saw my surgeon but one time with an office visit and breifly before my surgery and after surgery other than that I saw his nurse once a month for band fill clinics. I never needed a fill for after a year and by that time I moved and started over with another surgeon but I only see him also if I need a fill. Most surgeons are busy and if you do get an appointment to see them you will get about 15 minutes at best

OH UNDER HIPPA Law she supposed to release this information .if she refuses theres also someone above that person google her name and you can find out alot of information if your really upset , if not move on to someone new

I did pay for my dietician who was with my doctor because it is mostly required by insurances and it was convenient. She wasnt much help except to get my surgery but I met with her once a month for six months the first visit was 150 and the rest were 50. Some doctors have nutritionist working with them but they get paid by us not the doctor and if your insurance does pay for a nutritionist it probably wont cover all of it. After the seminar if you were not planning on using him why would you visit his office anyway? Just askin not being smart. I would have went to a few more seminars by different doctors. I never saw my surgeon but one time with an office visit and breifly before my surgery and after surgery other than that I saw his nurse once a month for band fill clinics. I never needed a fill for after a year and by that time I moved and started over with another surgeon but I only see him also if I need a fill. Most surgeons are busy and if you do get an appointment to see them you will get about 15 minutes at best

I didn't attend a seminar because this is the second time I am looking into getting this done. The first time was in 2000 and backed out at the last minute due to something that happened to someone I was talking to on a forum. So - I was informed and had gone through all the screenings etc back then - upto and including being approved and having a surgery date.

This time I was with a different insurance and in a different area of the metro so I was looking for a new doctor. The issue wasn't with the doctor - I expected him to be kind of a drive by - and I felt comfortable with my level of information - it was the offices practice that was the uncomfortable part. I'll need to talk with my insurance provider and see what they actually require vs what the doc's office says is required. I will still likely go with someone else if possible. I had an obgyn office who's staff was changing monthly and it made my pregnancy needlessly complicated - so perhaps my tolerance for administrative BS is a lot lower too.