Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you "fail" with the band?

I am at perfect restriction and for me that means I can eat all types of foods without any issues, stay full for 3 to 4 hours (sometimes longer), and I can lose a safe 2 to 3 pounds a week if I eat right lol! I can eat just like I did pre-band but in smaller quantities. Before the band I would have never been able to stop at 1/2 cup of food and feel satisfied....the band has nothing to do with making poor food choices, which I have been doing that since the end of June. Yes, I can diet without the band but I am so happy that I don't get hungry, and it's been a year and six months for me and I haven't gained all my weight back plus some like I would have without being banded.

For those of you who say that you can eat the same as you did before the band, it raises the question... What is the band doing for you?

It may be a naive question, I know....and I mean no disrespect.

I'm just curious as a recent bander. I could diet before the band and had some success, but always gained it back for various reasons. I look at the band as being that "limiter" to make it unpleasant to over eat and help me to make the right choices.

Just curious if you all are the norm, or if I will experience the restriction, and therefore help, that I expected.

If you check my profile, you will see that I am a chocolate LADY ! I started out doing sugar free Chocolates for people with Diabetes, and was a success until the economy dumped quite a few years ago. So I sold my Business, and Retired.. Still kept some things for the kids & Holidays. Outside of that, chocolate has the most FAT in it, compared to any other sweet that I worked with.

If you look at your calorie intake for lunch. Then look at a Protein shake, and read your Protein, and Fat content.. Then look at a chocolate bar for the same reason.

I made my own so I don't know what a bar says, but I do know that it is very High in Fat. So instead of getting your Protein Your getting FAT Which is not Healthy at all.

It can contribute to the junk in the trunk, saddle bags, just plain weight gain.

I know the numbers are the same, but you have to be careful.

That's like drinking Diet Coke, and developing a BEER BELLY. Well it's sugar free right ! But yet it can and will happen if you drink enough.

Chocolate is not true to you with the numbers.

It's your band,, you do what you want. But myself,,, I don't dare touch the stuff. I got up to 356 by making, taste testing chocolates. I won't make the same mistake again.

I am by no means experienced but I am obsessed with reading posts and I paid attention to what the dr said about dieting. A little bit of chocolate every now and then will not hurt but it does matter where you calories come from. Protein is what everything in your body is made up of. If you do not get you all of your protein everyday then your run the risk of starting to lose your hair and such. If you eat the protein in your meals first then move to vegetables and then to fats and carbs you will find it is much easier to stay on the low carb high protein diet because you will get full before you make it to the bad stuff. Your weight will drop off without even trying really. I will say that a girl has got to have her chocolate from time to time though. I hope this sounded more helpful than judgemental because I promise I understand how you feel.

I am by no means experienced but I am obsessed with reading posts and I paid attention to what the dr said about dieting. A little bit of chocolate every now and then will not hurt but it does matter where you calories come from. Protein is what everything in your body is made up of. If you do not get you all of your Protein everyday then your run the risk of starting to lose your hair and such. If you eat the protein in your meals first then move to vegetables and then to fats and carbs you will find it is much easier to stay on the low carb high protein diet because you will get full before you make it to the bad stuff. Your weight will drop off without even trying really. I will say that a girl has got to have her chocolate from time to time though. I hope this sounded more helpful than judgemental because I promise I understand how you feel.

O trust me ,,, I understand.. Whether it's Hormonal, or just a itch to scratch. But I also know what to much. to often can do.

I'm not judging anyone ! Like I said it's your band !

Your advice is on target about protein first.then vegetables etc. . But chocolate is not a good thing for you.

I know it's once in a Blue Moon. But do a Chocolate shake, Protein Bar, or Coco, that's actually fine.

I would say, from experience, that these people must have been banded recently, within the last 4-5 months, and have not reached that "sweet spot" with their fills. I know, I've been there.

As far as cheating the band......I am at that sweet spot where I can only eat small amounts at each meal, and most of the time do not feel all that hungry to eat much to begin with. I've also learned the hard way, from being stuck many times, that there are foods I need to avoid, and also I need to eat slowly with small mouthfuls.

BUT

Old habits die hard, and even though I can eat only small portions, there is nothing to stop me (except myself) from eating every 30 minutes, so to speak. AKA "grazing" This is not due to being hungry. It is more addictive, compulsive behavior.

Does not have to be a lot, just almost constant small snacking with things like potato chips, dip, Cookies, etc, etc.

You have to learn to listen to your body, not your head. Drink plenty of Water, and get your Protein in.

It may sound strange, but I am learning that food is not really that important in my life anymore. I ignore it.

I was banded in April, so what... 4 months ago? What you are describing would be what my doctor calls TOO tight, not the sweet spot. My doctor's office says that the band is made to control hunger, but you still need to control what goes in your mouth. So while I eat a cup of food at a meal, it's not that I can ONLY eat a cup of food- it that I'm satisfied after eating a cup of food.

So what does the band do for me? It makes it so that I don't feel hungry anymore after I eat a small meal, and I don't get hungry again for at least 4 hours. Take this morning, I had a Protein shake at 9. I didn't have a chance to eat lunch at a normal time, and when 2:30 rolled around I decided to have something else to eat, but I wasn't really hungry. That shake held me for a good 5+ hours. THAT is what my doctor wants the band to do for me.

But really... if hunger and satiety aren't your problem, the band won't be your solution.

Thanks for all the replies - most of them are really in tune with what I thought/experienced since I had my band (only 2 months... still a "baby")

I used to be a real carb-girl pre-op, but since banded I haven't touched rice and Pasta, very rarely have potato or a 1/4 slice of toast (to go with my meats). And absolutely no sweets, pastries or cakes.

It took me by surprise how easy it has been giving up all these favourites. Is this still a "honeymoon period" (I only had one fill so far - the second coming up in two weeks time) but I'm enjoying it! Is this going to go away? I hope not... sad.gif

It is very easy - can it be too easy? - to stay away from the carb even if I cook it for my family. They can have their pizzas and chips and ice cream around me - I cannot care less. And although I'm strictly and consciously limiting the amount I could eat to the suggested "band portions", I do not feel hungry or want to snack during the day. Which is great. But will this last? Or even gets better when I reach my sweet spot? Now, that's something I'd like to experience. How does it feel? What was different for you as opposed to before the sweet spot?

However, my husband - who's very supportive in a passive way... - keeps asking me: if this is not the band but my sheer willpower, what do I get from the band? - just like Russell asked. And I don't have an answer yet, but I'm collecting my thoughts. wink.gif

I found a couple of interesting ideas in the following article: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html - I'm sure it's an old one and many of you have already read it, but it was new to me and it might give some further perspective to other newbies like me.

Have a great day!

Ok, well I think I understand. I'm thinking in terms of after i've gotten a fill and find that sweet. Im thinking in the long term of maintaining. I don't think i'm in danger there. I eat relatively healthy anyways, even at restaurants and fast food. I have for about 5 years now, ever since I joined WW after I had my first kid. I do eat too much sweets, BUT it's not often. I eat ice cream maybe once or twice a month. I do love my starbucks don't plan to cut it out, but I ONLY get the carmel light frapp, no whip, which is 160 calories. I haven't had a milkshake in years! So I understand a little better now and I didn't have those bad eating habits in the first place. 90 percent of my problem with food is actually portion size. I'm amazed at how much I can eat in one sitting! Even healthy stuff! So I will definitely always eat my Protein first and since I was on the pre-op diet, I cut out all the "whites", like rice, Pasta, and potatos from dinners and instead learned how to cook using just the Protein and then 2 kinds of veggies. I plan to continue that for sure, I didn't realize how much I ate bread/cereal/pasta/rice before! I haven't had that in weeks now and don't miss it at all!

I'm SUUPER excited to learn how to eat with the band! If only I could just EAT!!!!!!!!! Gah! I'm SO sick of the liquid and still have 6 days left :(

I would say, from experience, that these people must have been banded recently, within the last 4-5 months, and have not reached that "sweet spot" with their fills. I know, I've been there.

As far as cheating the band......I am at that sweet spot where I can only eat small amounts at each meal, and most of the time do not feel all that hungry to eat much to begin with. I've also learned the hard way, from being stuck many times, that there are foods I need to avoid, and also I need to eat slowly with small mouthfuls.

BUT

Old habits die hard, and even though I can eat only small portions, there is nothing to stop me (except myself) from eating every 30 minutes, so to speak. AKA "grazing" This is not due to being hungry. It is more addictive, compulsive behavior.

Does not have to be a lot, just almost constant small snacking with things like potato chips, dip, Cookies, etc, etc.

You have to learn to listen to your body, not your head. Drink plenty of Water, and get your Protein in.

It may sound strange, but I am learning that food is not really that important in my life anymore. I ignore it.

I love what you wrote. I think you are spot on. Happy that you are on the right track. All the best to you.

Mary