Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you "fail" with the band?

I am just curious! So that I know what NOT to do? I've heard a lot of people say they aren't working with the band or they eat around it, etc. How does that happen? Is it eating things that go right through or drinking with meals??

You need to eat healthy and exercise. You can eat ice cream all day with the band. Should you? Of course not. You must make the right food choices and exercise. It doesn't do everything for you.

Follow every instruction your surgeon gives you... That's how you will succeed.

Well your suppose to follow a diet, if you don't, and eat whatever you want, that will cause it to fail. Plus dieting, and exercise go hand in hand with the band. So if you dont exercise at all, even walk, eventually it will catch up to you, and your weight loss might come to a end.

I drink with my meals. I have to, or its very painful for me to try and eat.

So I belong to myfitnesspal.com count my calories, and as long as I don't go over my limit... I have Water to chase it down. I am fine with that, but I stay between 800-1200 calories a day.

Yes and yes. Also if you keep the band too tight you can't eat solid Protein and veggies. This leads to drinking your calories you often hear people drinking ice cream based shakes etc. Also eating foods that more or less desolve in your mouth (cookies, crackers, candy) will pass right through the band.

I could still eat like I used to, even with 7+ cc's in my band. Nothing gets stuck for me, nothing makes me sick, very few foods make me feel full (instead I'm just satisfied as opposed to full). It would be so very easy for me to just go back to eating like I used to. I don't even have to resort to slider foods. I find this equal parts terrifying and empowering- because I know that these 50 pounds, I really lost because of ME.

Rachel, you are doing so good!

This is a question playing on my mind too... But the answers rarely offer a real insight.

You know about your calorie intake limits, you know about your exercise, you know about slider foods.

My question is: if you stay within your calorie limits (800-1200), and do your exercise does it matter what you eat? You might feel hungry if you skip on your Protein and substitute with carbs, but let's say you can withstand the hunger (or don't feel hungry at all): does it matter if your 250kcal lunch came from healthy food choice or - goodness forbid! - a chocolate bar?

I'm keeping to my 1100kcal a day, keeping very active and losing steadily, but I always wonder what would happen if...

Any insight from experienced bandsters?

I know for me, it does matter. I don't do low carb anymore because I'm training but before I was exercising hard I noticed that on days where I had more carbs, my weight loss would stall for a day or two. When I cut carbs, the scale started moving again. I also know that the amount of Water I drank played a role, along with how much sleep I got.

I think for some, the problem with substituting healthy calories with chocolate is that chocolate can trigger cravings for sugar and I thinking moderation chocolate is great, but for some it doesn't stop at a once in a blue moon type thing. If you can limit your chocolate consumption to every once in a while - then I don't see why you couldn't have it in moderation.

In the place I am in my journey, sure, I could probably eat french fries and get my calories from that but my body and mind do not want unhealthy crap. I only eat organic and am vegetarian (with an occasional piece of fish). I was vegetarian before the band but since I've lost some weight and am working hard, I find that I eat for fuel instead of pleasure.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the jury is out on whether the type of calories matter. They definitely matter for some and might not matter for others. Give it a go - eat some chocolate bars and see what happens. One day shouldn't make that much difference.

Hope that's a bit more insight for you, Kris!

Best wishes!

I dont think I want to even know more about how to cheat. Today marks one week exactly from surgery date, and I dont know what switch got flipped in my body, but I feel fantastic today. Not hungry, no gas (knock on wood!!!) and I think I figured out how to put that darn weight ticker on my signature. Happy Day!!! I am going to the gym now!

:rolleyes:

I could still eat like I used to, even with 7+ cc's in my band. Nothing gets stuck for me, nothing makes me sick, very few foods make me feel full (instead I'm just satisfied as opposed to full). It would be so very easy for me to just go back to eating like I used to. I don't even have to resort to slider foods. I find this equal parts terrifying and empowering- because I know that these 50 pounds, I really lost because of ME.

i feel the same way Rachel. i almost thought i was the only one, besides from my 1 stuck episode, i can eat anything and as much as i want. I stop myself and make the right choices now, i feel the same as you lol

For those of you who say that you can eat the same as you did before the band, it raises the question... What is the band doing for you?

It may be a naive question, I know....and I mean no disrespect.

I'm just curious as a recent bander. I could diet before the band and had some success, but always gained it back for various reasons. I look at the band as being that "limiter" to make it unpleasant to over eat and help me to make the right choices.

Just curious if you all are the norm, or if I will experience the restriction, and therefore help, that I expected.

Excellent reply Russell, these are the exact things that I want to know. I hope that an exprienced bandster will give some detailed insight.

For those of you who say that you can eat the same as you did before the band, it raises the question... What is the band doing for you?

It may be a naive question, I know....and I mean no disrespect.

I'm just curious as a recent bander. I could diet before the band and had some success, but always gained it back for various reasons. I look at the band as being that "limiter" to make it unpleasant to over eat and help me to make the right choices.

Just curious if you all are the norm, or if I will experience the restriction, and therefore help, that I expected.

Excellent reply Russell, these are the exact things that I want to know. I hope that an exprienced bandster will give some detailed insight.

I would say, from experience, that these people must have been banded recently, within the last 4-5 months, and have not reached that "sweet spot" with their fills. I know, I've been there.

As far as cheating the band......I am at that sweet spot where I can only eat small amounts at each meal, and most of the time do not feel all that hungry to eat much to begin with. I've also learned the hard way, from being stuck many times, that there are foods I need to avoid, and also I need to eat slowly with small mouthfuls.

BUT

Old habits die hard, and even though I can eat only small portions, there is nothing to stop me (except myself) from eating every 30 minutes, so to speak. AKA "grazing" This is not due to being hungry. It is more addictive, compulsive behavior.

Does not have to be a lot, just almost constant small snacking with things like potato chips, dip, Cookies, etc, etc.

You have to learn to listen to your body, not your head. Drink plenty of Water, and get your Protein in.

It may sound strange, but I am learning that food is not really that important in my life anymore. I ignore it.

Well, I have struggled to lose weight since summer hit! I blame myself but something makes me want to blame living in Texas and having to be out in 106 degree heat! I find myself swinging through drive-thrus to get ice cream cones, frappe's, ect..empty calories!!!!! That's how you can eat or drink around the band. I decided thist Monday that I need to drink Water and leave that other mess alone and I have already lost 3.8 pounds.

I would say, from experience, that these people must have been banded recently, within the last 4-5 months, and have not reached that "sweet spot" with their fills. I know, I've been there.

As far as cheating the band......I am at that sweet spot where I can only eat small amounts at each meal, and most of the time do not feel all that hungry to eat much to begin with. I've also learned the hard way, from being stuck many times, that there are foods I need to avoid, and also I need to eat slowly with small mouthfuls.

BUT

Old habits die hard, and even though I can eat only small portions, there is nothing to stop me (except myself) from eating every 30 minutes, so to speak. AKA "grazing" This is not due to being hungry. It is more addictive, compulsive behavior.

Does not have to be a lot, just almost constant small snacking with things like potato chips, dip, Cookies, etc, etc.

You have to learn to listen to your body, not your head. Drink plenty of Water, and get your Protein in.

It may sound strange, but I am learning that food is not really that important in my life anymore. I ignore it.

Great explanation! Thank you for taking the time to clarify for me.