Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre surgery/irregular heartbeat

My name is Valarie and I am 13 days away from my surgery date. About 3 or 4 years ago, I had a stress test and echo and was told I had a slight irregular heartbeat, my medication was adjusted and I was told it wasnt serious and was most likely too much caffeine or some of my medicines, or related to my PCOS. So, after having had a stress and echo each year since, and was never told it had re occured or gotten worse, I never gave it much thought.

Back in May, while going thru the process of getting my approval, I went for my heart stress test and the cardiologist decided to do an echo as well. He told me how great my heart beat was, how strong my heart was. But then out of the blue, he says, he wants to do a heart cath on me, and he never gave me any reason why, he never showed me any tests that showed an abnormality, etc.

He also said, if you werent trying to get approval for lap band I wouldnt even consider doing a heart cath, but since you are I want to do one. I felt like this was a form of blackmail. It was as if my lap band surgery was being held hostage. I was told by his staff that I would not be given a good report without having the heart cath.

But I refused to have it until they gave me a reason and when they didnt, I asked for my chart and the films as well as the dvd from the echo so I could get a second opinion, there was no need, because my surgeon told me that I was given a good report and all was cleared to go ahead.

I never did get my chart/films. Now, here I am 13 days away from my date and I began the pre-op diet 4 days ago and yesterday and today I have had very noticable heart palpitations. I have a home bp cuff and have been taking my bp, it has been very good, and my pulse is at a good rate, however, when I take it, it shows the irregular heartbeat symbol.

This has me worried, and I am wondering should I go to my doctor and have her do an EKG or something? Should I have had the heart cath? If I go back now will my surgery be refused or postponed, I only have until December before my approval runs out and I have to try again.

What could have suddenly brought this on....? Stress? too much Calcium, or Protein increases or sodium in all the broth I am eating??? Does anyone have any advice or has had this happen to them?

As a pre-op test my doctor requests an EKG. I would speak to your surgeon and advise him of your concerns. Have him request the EKG to make sure everything is okay. My PCP can do EKG's right in her office. It should take no time at all and you can find out if you are worrying over nothing.

I know how you are feeling. I have something called SVT or Sudden Ventricular tacnicardia where my heart rate goes up and beats irregular when I am under stress or too much anxiety. I am a little nervous about getting put under anethesia due to this condition. However, I have been reassured by the Dr's that your heart rate is under contant monitoring before during and after the surgury and they have cardiologist in the hospital that can be called if there is any issues. I think you will be fine. Good luck.

My name is Valarie and I am 13 days away from my surgery date. About 3 or 4 years ago, I had a stress test and echo and was told I had a slight irregular heartbeat, my medication was adjusted and I was told it wasnt serious and was most likely too much caffeine or some of my medicines, or related to my PCOS. So, after having had a stress and echo each year since, and was never told it had re occured or gotten worse, I never gave it much thought.

Back in May, while going thru the process of getting my approval, I went for my heart stress test and the cardiologist decided to do an echo as well. He told me how great my heart beat was, how strong my heart was. But then out of the blue, he says, he wants to do a heart cath on me, and he never gave me any reason why, he never showed me any tests that showed an abnormality, etc.

He also said, if you werent trying to get approval for lap band I wouldnt even consider doing a heart cath, but since you are I want to do one. I felt like this was a form of blackmail. It was as if my lap band surgery was being held hostage. I was told by his staff that I would not be given a good report without having the heart cath.

But I refused to have it until they gave me a reason and when they didnt, I asked for my chart and the films as well as the dvd from the echo so I could get a second opinion, there was no need, because my surgeon told me that I was given a good report and all was cleared to go ahead.

I never did get my chart/films. Now, here I am 13 days away from my date and I began the pre-op diet 4 days ago and yesterday and today I have had very noticable heart palpitations. I have a home bp cuff and have been taking my bp, it has been very good, and my pulse is at a good rate, however, when I take it, it shows the irregular heartbeat symbol.

This has me worried, and I am wondering should I go to my doctor and have her do an EKG or something? Should I have had the heart cath? If I go back now will my surgery be refused or postponed, I only have until December before my approval runs out and I have to try again.

What could have suddenly brought this on....? Stress? too much Calcium, or Protein increases or sodium in all the broth I am eating??? Does anyone have any advice or has had this happen to them?

Hi, Valerie,

welcome to our forum. I would be following up with somebody. You need a clear answer from your cardiologist and holding your records hostage is pretty bad. I do not know what is causing your trouble but please do not go into the surgery without checking at least with your pcp. All the best to you. Please let us know. We are here to support you and each other.

Melinda

Update- I saw my doctor today and she did an EKG, and she pulled my results from my echo and stress test which had been done in May, and it was all fine.

She said today's tests showed no abnormalities and neither did the ones in May.

Could be too much sodium, or too much caffeine from the coffee or just stress. She told me that if I continued having the feeling and if I began having any pain, burning, tingling, sweating or shortness of breath to go to the ER.

However, and this is just another fear that popped up, after speaking to a woman who had the same irregular heartbeat, she told me that after her surgery, she was put on Coumadin.

Now I have to tell you, I have had experience with blood thinners thru family member and I would just as soon cancel the surgery and forget the whole thing than take my chances on blood thinners!!!

Has anyone else experienced any problems with this?

The reason he is doing a heart cath is for pre-op clearance. If the Stress Test show any slightly abnormality they will furthur test as the anesthesiologist was to be assured that you will be okay and there is no heart problems. When you are overweight the risk of heart problems increases. This is for your safety. Chances are you are okay, but I guarantee they do not take any chances when they do surgery.

The reason he is doing a heart cath is for pre-op clearance. If the Stress Test show any slightly abnormality they will furthur test as the anesthesiologist was to be assured that you will be okay and there is no heart problems. When you are overweight the risk of heart problems increases. This is for your safety. Chances are you are okay, but I guarantee they do not take any chances when they do surgery.

I was already given approval for my band, my surgery date is august 30, and yesterday, i received a copy of my echo and stress, etc, and the report from my cardiologist from back in May, and it was all good.

The report and the ekg nor echo showed any signs of abnormalities or any reason to do further testing.

I fear this particular cardiologist saw a patient who really wanted his consent and thought he could use the situation to do unnecessary tests, as he did a relative of mine the same way and she went ahead with the test, using another doctor and was told, everything looked good, no problems.

Maybe, just maybe from time to time you run into a doctor who has their own agenda.

But thanks for the response, I had another ekg yesterday and no problems were found.

I was already given approval for my band, my surgery date is august 30, and yesterday, i received a copy of my echo and stress, etc, and the report from my cardiologist from back in May, and it was all good.

The report and the ekg nor echo showed any signs of abnormalities or any reason to do further testing.

I fear this particular cardiologist saw a patient who really wanted his consent and thought he could use the situation to do unnecessary tests, as he did a relative of mine the same way and she went ahead with the test, using another doctor and was told, everything looked good, no problems.

Maybe, just maybe from time to time you run into a doctor who has their own agenda.

But thanks for the response, I had another ekg yesterday and no problems were found.

I agree with you. I thought they might have found something slightly abnormal on the stress test. I would just go ahead with your surgery.

The cardiologist I saw for clearance would have done a heart cath if I had let him, or maybe it was an angiogram. I had a stress test a couple of months before I saw him and passed it. I did agree to an echo because it had been ten years and I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which can affect the aortic valve. Passed that with flying colors so I am out of there unless I have symptoms. He was a part of a big group paying a lot of rent in a beautiful building. We have good insurance but I felt that was stretching it over the top. I wish you all the best as you have your surgery and begin a new healthy life.

Melinda.