Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Hurdle Overcome!!!

I just got the results of my sleep apnea test today...I have moderate to severe sleep apnea. I am so excited, I know this is not something you would normally Celebrate, but I am at a 35-36BMI and needed a comorbidity in order to qualify with my insurance. I still wont know until the end of the year when they submit everything to the insurance whether I have approval on the surgery (I need to complete my 6 months of nutritional counseling), but I am one step closer to getting my lap band and cant wait. This has been a nail biting, agonizing process, the reward will be worth it!

Has anyone been denied even with meeting all the insurance qualifications? I have Cigna.

Yeahhhhhhhh ! You will be so happy when u start seeing results with the Lap Band. I'm so excited to get mine too! I know I am going to make it work for me!

I hope all goes well for you. i am getting banded on Monday 8/22. My insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery so i am a self pay. but i know every single penney that I am paying for this will be well worth it!!! Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you, I can't wait to see the results. I'm a little worried the weight will come off slower since I am starting out with a lower BMI

@Jsea congrats and good luck with your surgery on Monday. Too bad insurance won't cover it. I thought mine didn't. I wasted 6 months trying to switch insurance to get it covered and in the end didn't Need to because it was covered. Sucks cause I probably could of have the surgery now. I was investigating self pay as weep, I am determined to get this done.

Yes that's how I feel too. The only plus side to self pay is that it can happen within weeks. I met with the doctor on August 9th and two weeks later I'm getting surgery. I hope all goes well for you and you can make it through the insurance process with ease :) My BMI is just a little above 36, I am a little worried it won't come off as quick as I'd like it to either but I just keep reminding myself that a little at a time is better than none and certainly better than gaining more weight!!!

In july after I finished all the paper work ( 6 months doc, psych, nutritionist, metabolic testing

additional checks because of the cancer) I was told at 229 and 5 4 I only had a BMI of 39.1 and my insurance needed a BMI of 40 or over 35 with other health issues I needed to gain 6 pounds or have another issue

So they sent me for a sleep apena test (apparently like most of the population I do snore sometimes)

After more copays and a night at the sleep center I have mild neuropathy and surprise I was approved.

To be 6 pounds too light was crazy…I was told not directly but read between the lines that if I didn’t have apena I was to gain 6 pounds and comes back

Insurance companies are nuts

After years of dealing with them for my cancer I am convinced that deny claims first then if you complain real loudly will look a little then deny it again

I could give you hours of stories of insurance hell buy my favorite one is they won’t pay $60 for a bone density test as I am only 46 even though according to their newsletter I have major risk factors

Decades of steroid use for the asthma and six moths of strong chemo that can melt your bones

Tell will pay for thousands of cortisone pills but not a simple test to see if they have damaged you

Insurance companies are a necessary evil

@ helen098 I completely agree with you about insurance. I just saw the bill that the Surgery center submitted to my insurance company for the sleep studies, endoscopy, nutritional counseling, etc. The prices they are charging I could have had the surgery 2-3 times by now. It is ridiculous to go through all these hoops that cost more money than the procedure alone.

I hope this gets approved the first time, I really dont want to deal with the appeals process and wait any longer. I am already dying waiting for my 6 months to end. I would have put the 6lbs on with weights, heavy clothes, tennis shoes etc in order to get the approval!

Have you been approved yet?

I hope all goes well for you. i am getting banded on Monday 8/22. My insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery so i am a self pay. but i know every single penney that I am paying for this will be well worth it!!! Best of luck to you!!!

I haved my surgery on 8-11 and I feel great I was self pay too . I lost 28lb between the liquid diet and surgery my IBM was 56 . Now is 53 ... Good luck on yours

@ Jackie - That's great, wow, 28lbs so quickly. I cant wait!

Just spoke with my coordinator and we are hoping to submit and have the surgery by end of December. I cant wait. It will suck if I cant have Christmas dinner, but oh well, I guess i can Celebrate early and start the new year off right!!!!

I just got the results of my sleep apnea test today...I have moderate to severe sleep apnea. I am so excited, I know this is not something you would normally Celebrate, but I am at a 35-36BMI and needed a comorbidity in order to qualify with my insurance. I still wont know until the end of the year when they submit everything to the insurance whether I have approval on the surgery (I need to complete my 6 months of nutritional counseling), but I am one step closer to getting my lap band and cant wait. This has been a nail biting, agonizing process, the reward will be worth it!

Has anyone been denied even with meeting all the insurance qualifications? I have Cigna.

Hi Bandsters and Future Bandsters, My name is Karina, and I'm a lapband patient since Nov 2010. I have lost 63 lbs since my lapband and I'm looking for people that would like to hear my story, or people that just need support or advice, I'm here for all of you. We need eachothers support. Please follow me on my Facebook, www.facebook.com/kfrancolapband