Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Looking for a Dr. In the Los Angeles area that accepts patients from MX

Hi All-

I had my surgery in TJ with Dr. Ortiz (whom I love) 10/07/05

Than in late Nov. I had my 1st fill (too tight) - 1.8 and I couldn't handle it. (lots of PBs)

Went back to TJ last weekend and had a complete unfill.

I now am looking for a Dr. near the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)

for aftercare. It's not that I don't trust Dr. Martinez (Dr.Ortiz's right hand Dr.) - TJ is too far for the "hand holding" I am seeking!!! I want a Dr. who is "in the neighborhood" that I can see every other month and take "baby step" fills. I am also looking for a Dr.'s office that has a support group.

Am I asking for too much?

I know Dr. Billy is very highly regarded, but he is in Ventura!

Still too far for me. I work in downtown LA (with very limited time off)

Also, what I was told, Dr. Billy's sees you 1st, then his nurse does the follow up fills - WITHOUT FLURO (sp.) Have I just been brainwashed that the only accurate way to do a fill "is under x-ray w/a barium swallow"??

I would love to hear some feedback on this!

I contacted Inamed for a list of Dr.'s who see patients WITH THEIR BAND INSIDE OF THEM who had surgery in Mexico and the answer basically was - Good Luck!

Inamed sent me a list of local Dr.'s and basically said start calling, but don't hold your breath.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me!

I feel so in the dark. :)

Thanks for any support you all can give me!

This is precisely the reason why it is warned so heavily that you MUST secure/find post op care before you band. It may or may not make some decisions for you as to spend the extra money for the states. I don't know if they have one in your area, but www.fillcenterusa.com does fills for out of country banded patients. It is VERY hard to find a doctor that will work on out of country patients. Most of us just make the trek back to Mexico it seems.

As for the flouro vs no flouro I personally would only ever do flouro with swallow. And I certainly wouldn't want anyone but a doctor doing the sticks into my $10,000 investment.

Girl, be happy that Ventura is only an hour from you! I travel from Vegas all the way to Ventura to see Dr. Billy. I never knew his nurse does his fills. Are you sure about that? He's an excellent surgeon and worth traveling for.

If my only choice was going to TJ or Ventura that is no brainer. Ventura is only an hour from San Fernando Valley. I live in Van Nuys. It takes me an hour door to door to see Billy.

Billy will do your fills but because he is out of town alot your fills will be far apart. I have had Dennis do an unfill on me and he hit the port the first time and I didn't feel a thing. They are both very competent in their skills. I highly recommend Dr. Billy and Dennis. They are compassionate and understanding and will work with you on your goals. The office staff is wonderful as well.

Many thanks to everyone who gave me such great input!

I wish I had more "me" time to use you guys for support. You are all so wonderful. Right now work comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd in my life, my family and friends come 4th and I don't seem to have energy left to work on ME.

I know "cry me a river" blah blah blah

Thanks for always being there for ME!

I too have been having problems finding a fill doc in the LA area and I had my band in the states. I moved here from the Seattle area and made all of the Inamed calls and found only one person who would even touch me...for $450 and not under flouro. Who is Dr. Billy and what does he charge? Thanks!

Lisa

Dr. Billy charges $300 for 1st fill and check up with him (the Dr.),and $150 each visit after that with his nurse.

He is in Ventua, CA - Google him and you will find his #.

I don't believe I can give out a phone # on this site.

If you don't find it, email me and I will send it to you.

Where in LA are you?

Have you found a good support group yet?

Let me know .

Thanks!