Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello

I have been checking into this website every once in awhile and reading other's post and i thought it was about time I actually join. I am 32 years old, happily married and no children, unless you're like me and consider your dogs as your kids. :) I have been overweight for as long as i can remember. My lowest and happiest was when i was 21-22 and i was at 155 lbs. Too bad i used phentermine to get me there and that was a short lived time as anyone who has resorted to prescription drugs to lose weight will soon notice you gain it all back plus some in lickity split time!!

I'm 3-1/2 months into pre-surgery for the gastric band and it feels like eternity before my, must have, 6 month insurance time period will be done. The only steps i have taken so far is the monthly prescriped dr visist and monthly support group meetings that my dr.'s office holds. Blood work and pysch. evals will soon follow, i'm sure. I have been trying to work on healthier food options during this time but still crave the bad stuff. Suprise Suprise... :). I recently, and i mean recently quit smoking (14 days as of today)(was told i had to quit before surgery) and this has been hard for me. I figure if i can and will quit smoking after 16 years then when i get the band i should be able to follow guidelines, right?!

My biggest concerns questions at this point are the following, which i'm sure and know a lot of others are also concerned about...

- following the strict guidelines (they seem strict when all your life you have eaten what you want)

- how long before i can go back to work (was thinking about trying just 1 week leave but others at my support group say 2 weeks) i have a sit down job, not much movement when you are at a computer all day.

well heck, my lunch break is over now and there's probably more but those are the top two!!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice that i see or get!

Just remember to take it one step at a time. Trying to quit smoking is the most difficult thing you have to do at this point, and I wouldn't make it more difficult on yourself by forcing yourself to eat better at the same time. Eating healthier is retraining process.

I am only taking one week off- actually go back tomorrow, and I definately don't have a sit down job. My doc said 5 days would have been fine (I don't know about that!)

The main thing you need to remember is that if you do go back after a week, you need to get up and move every hour, to help prevent blood clots- being overweight, and having surgery increases your risk especially with a sedentary job like that.

I went back to work on day four. I work as a grocery checker in a busy store so I am on my feet all day. I just made sure not to lift anything heavy and I did fine. I sure slept good for the first week back to work. I started walking on my second week and have not stopped yet! As for eating guidelines, it is not that hard. You will have to wait till you are banded to see how you will do with eating. I can eat everything with out trouble. I make the choice not to eat breads, Pasta, potatoes, etc. I figure they are my downfall so I stay away from them. The band does take a lot of willpower, you need it to make the right food choices and to make sure you exercise. Good luck and welcome

Thank you both for the advice and info! Also congratulations and good luck on your new journey! I can't wait till i'm where you both are today!

Hello and welcome. I too am a newbie. Let me first say Kudos on not smoking for 14 days that is huge!!!! I was banded August 4th which was a Thursday and I returned to a desk job yesterday Wednesday the 10th. I probably could have returned a day earlier but when I started getting ready to come into work I got tired. Once the soreness subsides then fatigue is the worst part. Of course I over do things and worked 10 hours not counting the 3 hours of drive time to and from work. I then took my daughter shopping for school supplies. Lets just say I am a glutton for punishment. Start out and slow and easy and a week should be fine. I hope that helps and I hope the rest of your presurgery time flies by.

Thanks!! Im glad to hear that a week off is do-able since i would like to be able to use the rest of my vacay time after i lose some of this weight.

P.s. Your screen name makes me want some stroganoff (the food) for dinner! Lol!!!

My screen name really has nothing to do with food. My bestfriend's autocorrect would always try to replace my name with stroganoff when she typed it in so it is just a joke that I now use it. :D