Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Stuck = Restriction?

First I wanted to know if you get stuck does that mean you have some sort of restriction in which back up the opening of the band?

Secondly, when I get stuck it seems to be in the middle of my chest-not in my stomach area. I always was under the impression that being stuck meant something was stuck over the stomach opening?? Am I wrong-I am thinking I must be!

I don't feel like I have restriction, but I can't eat breaded chicken or I get that feeling in my chest. What's causing that if I don't have restriction?

I get that stuck feeling with chicken if I do not eat teeny, tiny little bites, about the size of a pea. And, I have to chew the heck out of it. Chicken needs to be really moist or I have major problems with it.

Donna, I get stuck like you do right in the center of my chest between the breasts. It feels like someone put their fist right there and won't move it. I only have a little fill in from when they did my surgery. I don't get a fill until the 18th. So i'm like you, what is the problem. It only happens with meat and in the beginning of my meal. For me I realize that I'm hungry and the first 2 bites I sometimes forget to chew, chew, chew. So I end up getting stuck and its the worst darn feeling in the world waiting for it to go down. I can't wait to ask about that question when I see him.

Karon-I think it's either a failure to chew and take tiny bites like you said or certain foods just seem to expand inside like bread and rice. It is a terrible feeling!

The stomach is a lot lower than the stuck food so I am not sure exactly why stuff gets stuck!

hey listen, I had a "stuck" issue and it caused a slip in the band. be careful. You dont ever want to vomit if you can help it. for me stuck is a pain in the chest rib cage area. PB is one thing but a violent upward thrust from your stomach-(vomiting) is very very bad. It didnt take much for this band to slip.

hey listen, I had a "stuck" issue and it caused a slip in the band. be careful. You dont ever want to vomit if you can help it. for me stuck is a pain in the chest rib cage area. PB is one thing but a violent upward thrust from your stomach-(vomiting) is very very bad. It didnt take much for this band to slip.

Thanks for the reminder! Can you tell me what happened as far as the slip? How did you know the band slipped-could you feel it? Did they have to do surgery again?

Thanks for the reminder! Can you tell me what happened as far as the slip? How did you know the band slipped-could you feel it? Did they have to do surgery again?

Its early, so far they took all the Fluid out and i have to go back on thurs day for a scope. I new something was wrong because I was throwing up all the time. Even liquids made me sick. Since having all the Fluid taken out I feel fine and can drink normally again. I am on a soft food diet for now and have not been sick at all. I'm not sure how this will all turn out.

you feel the pain/discomfort/"stuckage" at the middle of your chest because the stomach is a lot higher than you think. Some of it is referred pain, but some of it is because the stomach is just to the left of your liver which is under your right ribs. :)

Its early, so far they took all the Fluid out and i have to go back on thurs day for a scope. I new something was wrong because I was throwing up all the time. Even liquids made me sick. Since having all the Fluid taken out I feel fine and can drink normally again. I am on a soft food diet for now and have not been sick at all. I'm not sure how this will all turn out.

Keep us posted!!! Thank goodness they took the fill out-I am guessing they'll wait and see if it slides back into place? Hope everything works out for you soon!

you feel the pain/discomfort/"stuckage" at the middle of your chest because the stomach is a lot higher than you think. Some of it is referred pain, but some of it is because the stomach is just to the left of your liver which is under your right ribs. :)

You are right!! I looked up a diagram of the stomach!! Thanks, I never knew the stomach was that high up!

Right there with you. I've had my band for two years (next week). I could eat a meal and then not eat for a day and then eat a meal and then not eat for a day. My esophagus was contracting. What a mess. And pain!! They've taken all of the fluid out. Go back for a second scope on Monday. Then to the surgeon the following week. Dont' want to see the surgeon unless he has a syringe of saline in his hand to put the fluid back. If they have to take it out, I won't qualify for a new one. I lost 75 of my hopeful 88 pounds within the first nine months and had been maintaining ever since (surgeon said I would not lose more than 50 pounds over the first 3 years). Overachiever I guess. Struggling to not eat but it sure is nice to eat something I haven't been able to eat for 2 years :)

well I went back today, they did the xray scope and found everything is good. thank god! The doc brought me up to 8.5 cc in my 14cc band. I was at 11 cc when I had a problem. she said 8.5 is good this fill and next month-if needed, she will add 1.5-2.0cc.

Great news. I was at 10.5 in my 14 cc band. Maybe it will be put back. But my stomach just doesn't feel right. One should not be aware of one's stomach any more than any other internal organ.

Stay well.