Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2006 bandsters unite!!

I had left shoulder pain after my surgery also. When I saw my doctor he explained to me that while in surgery they work very close to the diaphram. He called what I had "deferred pain" from the diaphram. Every time I took a deep breath it felt as if someone was stabbing me with an ice pick in the shoulder. he explained to me there was nothing I could do to help it, I had tried gas-x, heating pad, rubbing, walking and letting hot Water run over it in the shower. He gave me something for the pain and said it would have to run its course.

To be honest it took about 2 and half weeks for it to completely end. This might be something worth looking into if all else fails.

Good luck and feel better soon,

Good morning everyone! I hope that everyone is having a great day!

Dena - Sorry you are in so much pain. I hope that you get relief soon. Hang in there and know that we are all here to support you!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Dena, are you feel any better?

Becky? You hanging in there?

I'm experiencing the head part of all this... I'm angry at my husband because he can eat more then I can! LOL, so wrong! :)

Anyway, (( hugs )) to everyone!!

I was able to walk around this morning without much pain....and was thinking that maybe finally it had gone....but then it set in within 20 minutes....but still that is a record for me....usually the pain sets in within 1-5 min after getting up. So getting better....but the gas isnt gone yet....I went back to the doctor yesterday and they confirmed it was just gas pain....which is what I had already told them...they said they just wanted to check my incisions to make sure it wasnt anything else....she said that they had only one other case that reported the shoulder pain as bad as mine.....and my doc has done over 1600 of these surgeries...so lucky me huh? I was told that it can take up to ten days for it go away completely.

Ok....so new topic. I have asked this before but havent received any replies. I have heard some people say they felt no restriction until their first fill. I have felt restriction from day one. I assumed it was just from having surgery with the swelling and all. I am only at day 5 post op now. I was wondering if this feeling of restriction will stop eventually until I get my first fill. I like being restricted!!! This is what I need to lose weight..I don't want this feeling to go away it prevents me from eating much. How have others felt about this right after surgery?

I have heard some people say they felt no restriction until their first fill. I have felt restriction from day one. I assumed it was just from having surgery with the swelling and all. I am only at day 5 post op now. I was wondering if this feeling of restriction will stop eventually until I get my first fill. I like being restricted!!! This is what I need to lose weight..I don't want this feeling to go away it prevents me from eating much. How have others felt about this right after surgery?

I was banded on 2/6 and I felt restriction as well from day 1. I liked it, too! I had trouble getting even Jello down for the first 4-5 days. It started easing up after that, and I moved to mushies early (I was supposed to wait 2 weeks but I think I went there at 1.5 weeks). I'm supposed to be on mushies now but I moved to solids early <slapping myself on the wrist>. I still have some restriction and if I eat too fast or don't chew enough I get an awful pain in my chest, but there's not a lot of restriction. I'm looking forward to my first fill in 2 weeks.

Thanks...my doctors post op diet is full liquids for 24-48 hours then onto mushies for 4 weeks. I know others diets require them to be on liquids much longer. Anyhow, I just listened to my body and went to mushies at 3 days. I can drink now with no problem. I know i still need to keep up my Protein intake, so this morning for Breakfast I had a Protein Drink made with soy milk...went down fine. Then I had one scrambled egg....I wasnt able to finish it before I felt I needed to stop. Even with my soft food...I take really tiny bites ..chew chew chew (as much as possible with soft food)..and take my time eating. My doctor didnt put a restriction on how many meals a day or drinking after meals until after week four when I move onto solids. However....I am still not drinking with or after meals just to get used to it. I do crave meat...my docs soft diet listed fish....but I bought some of those spreadable meats....consistency of baby food....and they are yummy!

Please add me to your list:

Surgery was on Feb. 2

Dr. Malley, Overland Park, KS (Kansas City Metro)

Hi Everyone,

I am feeling better today! I actually put on regular clothes and went to K-Mart! What a treat! It did bother my stomach alot though. When I got home I had to sit down for quite awhile before I felt better. I still have alot of gas. It's like "normal" gas that one would get after eating a huge meal. My stomach is all gurgly and gassy. The surgery pain is better but I feel like something is "pulling" on my internal organs when I walk. Anyone else experience this? I can't stand up all the way straight because of this feeling. My muscles are still slightly sore, and it hurts horribly if I sneeze. But, today is really the first day I've felt significant improvement. I am very restricted, not hungry at all, and I'm on day 11. Well, time to make some cream of chicken soup!

Hi Feb 2006 Bandsters!

I'm Nanster.

Banded 2-24-06 in Houston by Dr. Spivak.

Self-pay (United Healthcare, but employer exclusion)

Pre-op: BMI 42, Wt 264, Ht 5'6"

Sunta, I'm now 20 days out and I still get that pulling feeling. My post op visit was 4 days ago and they told me that feeling could last another 2-3 weeks. SNEEZING oh lordy that does aggravate it and make it hurt. That had me in tears on Friday but, it's getting better. One thing I have learned is you just have to let those sneeze out, don't hold them in at all. Just open your mouth and let it go...hurts far less that way :) The pulling you're feeling is your muscle that was disturbed during the surgery and if it's under your left ribs area your port is there as well. Same area was responsible for so much work that deep bruising happens etc. That's what I was told anyway. Was actually told they have to tunnel in through that area to get to your stomach to band it. Even the word tunnel hurts hahaha

Good Sunday morning ladies!!

I'm actually feeling good this morning! :clap2: My breakfast shake is going down well and I'm not experiencing any sweats/shakes so far. Yea!

My body seems to be adjusting slowly to the reduction in calories. The shoulder pain is nearly gone. The port area is tender on occasion, but generally gone as well. I thought I was "WAY" behind everyone, in that I am already on post-op day 9, but perhaps I'm not as far behind as I thought. (I did NOT go on a strict diet pre-op and I think that's why I paid such a high price of discomfort those first several days). Now that I'm getting plenty of calories in with liquids, I'm coming back to life!!

My scales indicate a loss of 8 pounds already! I don't even care right now if I lose, just trying to heal and get enough calories in to function. Have to go back to work tomorrow, so today is my last "trial" to see what it takes to function without shakes/sweats/pain. I guess I was overly cautious with my eating...afraid to cause gas or pain...and I actually shot myself in the foot by doing so. Now, I'm eating creamy Soups, egg-drop Soup, Protein shakes, Carnation breakfast and applesauce. I'm trying to get up the nerve to try Soup with a little mashed potato in them...still nervous though. One thing, my cautiousness worked with gas...have basically had NO nausea/vomiting/gas except the shoulder pain from the procedure itself. Had a little bout of diarrhea yesterday morning that made me weakish, but ate and drank until I "came back around".

Thank you ALL for your posts...it has really been a "friend", especially in the middle of the night when I felt horrible, I could come read your experiences and feel comforted that the bad would pass. THANK YOU ALL!

Nanster

Finally getting around to posting.

Banded 2/15 Dr. Carter Arlington, TX -16 pounds!!!:clap2:

Debra

Hey All~

Up and Down in how I feel. Some days are great while others are terrible.

I noticed if I don't get enough Water, I feel horrible.

The left shoulder pain still comes when I drink or eat too much although I'm now able to eat more.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Take Care,

OK..so I feel like I am totally weird. I am 14 days post-op, and have had no restriction since like day 5. I can eat practically anything. I called my Dr and he is going to do my first fill tomorrow..(happy birthday to me!!) I hope that I feel more restriction. I mean I d on't feel like I even have anything in me..such as the band..the surgery says otherwise, but I swear.....I wish I could feel somthing to make me feel like I couldn't eat! I still am down 20 lbs....but have only lost 2 since surgery. UGH!

Good morning all

Ok I have to ask, when its your time of the month how are you handling it? When it is mine I cant seem to get enough to eat, I want to eat all day. Yes chocolate is right up there with the things I want to eat but I want good food too and lots of it. Any one else have this problem and if so how are you working through it? The guilt of eating all weekend is horrible!