Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2006 bandsters unite!!

I am glad to see every one doing so well, congrats on your first fill Janet/Mikey, I go for my first fill on Friday. Not one minute too soon, I can eat like I have no band at all. I am neverous but its time for me to start my journey towards good health.

Update on my niece, my sister has taken her to talk to someone and they have informed the school. The staff at the school are keeping an eye on her to make sure she is eating and not going to the bathroom to bring it back up. Thanks to everyone for all your prayers and support, my family has a long way to go still.

Ok now for some good news, I had a major NSV. My hubby got floors seats to see the Nets play this weekend. Now if you dont know I have to take a wheelchair to the grocery store or to the mall due to backpain from walking. When he told me I had mixed feelings, I wanted to go but the walking from the parking lot and then finding the seat and the stairsssss ughhhhhhhhhh. I am HAPPY to report not only did we go but I walked the entire way, never having to stop and rest, and had a wonderful day with my husband. Now my legs are sore as carp but I faced my fears and won!

I think I will try the grocery store this weekend on my feet, wish me luck, I'll let ya'll know how I do.

Congrats on the 1st fill Janet and Mikey!!!! And Renee'! I get another fill on the 28h..I am pretty excited cause I have gotten my appetite back. Anway...AMerican Idol is on tonight.....yea:whoo:I love that show!

I want Kevin to go.........Chris is my Love!

See ya'll later!

I was searching for the Feb bandsters on the general forum, and was soooo disapointed to only find the March one. But here I found youuuuuuuuuuuu

Banded on 2/22

By Dr. Vincent Frering. Lyon, France

For those of you fearing your first fill, I was with you!! I had myself all worked up. And I sorta have a horror story. But it's so minor compared to what I expected... it's really not worth mentioning, lol. :D The entire thing was really anti-climatic.

There's a small pinch & a burn with the numbing shot -- felt like the heparin shot after surgery, only it hurt less, imho. I didn't feel ANY pain with the fill needle... just pressure. Both times, lol:

My doc started with 1.5cc, but I couldn't swallow the Water. I now know what overfull feels like -- at least a little. I could still swallow spit, so I wasn't THAT bad... but water kind of gurgled going down, and took forever to swallow a TINY sip. After 3 attempts, Dr Sewell looked at my face & asked, "You're too full, aren't you?! Let's get some out of there!" He popped me back onto the table & took out .3cc. Made a HUGE difference. And I was still numb from the first one, so I didn't need a new shot... and still didn't feel the fill needle.

I was super-duper paranoid after that, lol, so I kept myself on tiny sips all day... until I got too hungry & had mushies (**blush for my lack of willpower! **). I did just fine, as long as I chewed everything to death. I'm definitely feeling restriction. Time to learn what I can & can't do again! :)

I'm just so glad to be moving! My bags have been packed for a month now, time to get the journey started!

Lou: Go you with the weight loss!! And congrats on the fill date! :)

Becky: Happy bandiversary!! :) Looking back now, isn't it amazing how far you've come! I don't mean weight loss, though you're doing great on that... but pain-wise. You're sleeping in a bed!!! :) And congrats on upping the treadmill, I'm scared of grades! :eek:

Tammy: Woohooo!! It's fill time! :) I'm glad to hear that folks are monitoring your niece. I hope she can kick her demons in the bootie! Oh my goodness, congrats on your NSV! And you got extra exercise too! Awesome!!

Stacey: Wow! You're 3rd fill? What size is your band? Hope you feel restriction soon!!!

Magic: Welcome to the Febsters! :) You've got a lost of reading to do, lol. :eek: Just joking... jump right in, we're glad you're here!

Dena: You still out there? Missing you, girl! Oh, just reread... I bet you're in San Fran. Enjoy yourself!

Cashley & Renebean: Front & center! :) Looks like you both had fills yesterday... how'd they go? :)

Tammy: Thats awesome about your NSV!!! It feels good to be losing doesn't it! Keep up the good work...and Grocery store here you come! :D

Janet: I have a 9.75 cm band. My first fill was 2.0 and my 2nd fill was .8...I still really have no restriction. I feel so like this maybe isn't working for me...i am getting kind of bummed!

Magic: Welcome to Feb. Bandsters. Join in with us, and we will keep ya occupied for days!

Hope everyone else is doing great today! Have a good one. Check in later!

Ah... that explains a lot Stacey. :D Mikey has a 9cc band... he just got 4.5 in it & says he barely feels it. Of course, this is the first time he's felt ANYthing, so he's happy about it. :eek:

Hang in there... get some more saline in there & you'll be flying! :eek:

Ok ya'll look what I just read.........

March 21, 2006

Did Star Jones' bid for a firmer bod nearly end her life? "View" co-host, who has dropped more than 150 pounds over the last two-plus years, "almost died" late last week when she went under the knife for a breast lift.

Star reportedly suffered complications hours after the elective surgery, including internal bleeding and a near heart attack, and was rushed to Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica.

"Nurses saw her blood counts were dropping and she was going into shock. She was trembling and shaking uncontrollably," an insider tells the tab. "An ambulance was called and Star was rushed to Saint John's ER where she began blood transfusions to save her life. She lost close to half of her own blood and was in serious danger of going into cardiac arrest."

On Monday, Star was sufficiently recovered from her "life-and-death drama" to be transferred to an exclusive private clinic that specializes in post-op plastic surgery patients.

"She had an elective breast lift procedure. Star is recovering wonderfully," her spokesman tells the Enquirer (he denies In Touch's claim that she also underwent a Tummy Tuck "to remove excess skin").

So far there's word on whether Mrs. Al Reynolds will be out of the hospital in time to Celebrate her 44th birthday on March 24 -- or if her hubby will be by her side.

Surprisingly enough, Al, the man Star has described as having "skin the color of cooked butter" and "the legs of a stallion" (they also have "an intoxicatingly sexual connection," which you didn't really need to know but why should we suffer alone with that knowledge), stayed behind in New York while she had the surgery.

And in an unfortunate coincidence, he ended up in the hospital on the same day as his wife. Both In Touch and the Enquirer report that Al was rushed to the ER after he cut open his noggin when he fell during a workout at a New York gym.

"He was taken to the emergency room where doctors administered several stitches," explains Star's rep to In Touch, adding to the Enquirer, "The doctors kept Mr. Reynolds overnight for observation. He is recovering and in good spirits."

Star, by the by, has declined to give details on how she dropped her excess poundage, although she told People back in January the process was helped along by a "medical intervention" (most bets are on gastric bypass). "I will not be the poster child for a particular method," she explained. "Only your doctor can tell you what will work for you."

Just reminds me how serious this all is.

I've heard of many having complications from Gastric bypass....which is why I chose Lap-Band. I am having my first fill on April 6. I'm very excited about that. Although I don't feel any restriction and have been able to eat everything I've tried so far (including beef), I get full easy. In the 22 days since my surgery, I've lost 20 lbs! I want to lose as much as possible even before my first fill. I guess I'll be back in liquids for a week or so after that...right? I am so blessed this seems to be working so well for me. I have been on a natural "high" since I was approved for surgery and I have not come down yet! I'm thinking about having my doctor wean me off my depression medication, but maybe it's too soon for that...(hmmmm, thinking out loud).

I can't tell you what a blessing this website has been. I can't wait to log on every day to see how everyone is doing. Just wish I could get paid for being on here all day!

Happy Hump Day to all! love ya!

Hi Everyone!

Had my first post-op/fill appt today and it went well. They said I didn't have restriction, but questioned whether to do a fill since I haven't eaten "solids" yet. Finally decided to do a fill on me...it was totally painless. Then, had me sit and drink some Water to be sure it would go down. No problems, so that was it!!

One question: they said my stomach was "spasm-ing" when they did the fluoroscopy. That's what they told me right after surgery also. Noone indicated it was any problem, but I wondered what that means--does anyone know if/how that affects anything??? I don't burp or hiccup much, but I definitely do gurgle when I drink water. Just wondering why I have this or if it's a reaction to having something messed with, or what?!

Magic: Welcome to our thread!! Hope to hear more of your experience with the band.

Ms.Vicki: 20 pounds in 22 days is AWESOME!!! I was told today that I should try to mainly eat mushies for 24-48 hours (since my fill today), just in case there is any swelling and/or irritation. Otherwise, I am allowed to start eating solid food. YYYIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!

(They were hesistant about a fill since I haven't eaten solids yet...I said "well, I thought I was supposed to do mushies for 4 wks...and they said "yeah, you're supposed to, but almost noone does for that long"!!)

JerseyTammy: Didn't hear that about Star Jones. I agree that she likely had bypass, but no matter, because this really is a serious procedure, although it is taken quite lightly by many. I think we are in the "safer" group for sure, but it's still no small feat. Sorry to hear she's had such a serious setback. Hopefully she will recouperate fully.

JanetC: My fill experience was much less of a big deal than I had fretted over too! I didn't even feel the needle and the worst part was having to drink the barium stuff twice!! Glad it WAS so benign...that way we won't hesitate to go back when needed, right? LOL

skbishop: I'm with you on Chris, but I kinda like little Kevin too. (He's not gonna be the "idol" but he puts his heart in it and he actually carries a tune better than some!) Chris has the "star" factor in my book too!! Each week my preference changes on everyone EXCEPT Chris, because everyone's personality and talent either come through (or don't!!) based on the theme and their appearance and I think we see more of their TRUE personality the more we see them. I just would like to see it all jammed into only a ONE hour show!!! (Like I can't turn the channel after 1 hr, I know, but then how would I know who's any good?????? :D :eek: LOL. (o.k., so I'm addicted to it too...it's better than sitting eating!!)

For all of you having fills soon....don't sweat it; it's not bad at all.

Anybody have their nutritionist/doctor (or even wonder themself?!) about cholesterol issues? With all the eggs, seafood, egg drop Soup I've consumed, I wonder if I need to be concerned? (I'm using eggbeaters now for scrambled eggs/omelets instead of real eggs.) My total cholesterol was 204 last month...not horribly high, but I wasn't eating all these eggs/seafood then!)

Ya'll are the greatest thread on this site! Feb bandsters RULE!!!!

Nanster

Howdy everyone, I'm sorry I don't have time for personals today. Kinda hard to catch up lately :D

Question for all of you.....What type of weight scale do you use? I need to buy a new one so I'm looking for suggestions on a good one :eek:

Thanks a bunch

Hello Janet,

Thanks a lot for your kind words, and for adding me to the list, its nice to feel untied with others (Febsters :) ) I like it a lot.

Sherry,

I use the Detecto scale, just like the ones you see at the docs offices.

It was a little expensive when I bought it, but its TRULY WORTH every penny paid in it.

We got it 10 years ago, and the whole family uses it, and still its precise just as the first day when we got it home.

If you have the space then go for it, and you will never regret it

Hey Everyone!

I might have to change my mind on my fill!!! Tonight I had only 3 bites of steamed cauliflower and, OMG the PB came on. I had saliva multiplying by the moment!! My chest felt like it would explode. Finally, I threw up those 3 bites and then felt fine. After about an hour, I had a little spoon of ice cream and a cup of coffee-both went down fine. So, I'm doing ALL mushies for 48 hrs. Hope I won't have to get an UNfill, but I need to be able to eat SOMETHING solid/semi-solid.

They didn't tell me how much was put in, but I'm pretty sure it was less than 1cc, as I could see the syringe. She stated she was getting "resistance" when she pushed the saline into the band.

I had had a yogurt at about 3 pm prior to eating the cauliflower at 6:15pm...maybe I was just still full???

Maybe it will be nice...I won't get hungry hardly at all and will lose regularly!!! :):(:):) I'll just have to see how it goes. I don't want to vomit every meal, but I am TOTALLY not hungry either!!! (For me, a real unusual event!!)

Happy Wednesday everybody!

Nanster

My sweet husband :love: bought me a digital scale. It gives the weight down to the tenth of a pound. I absolutely love it. I'm sure it was much less expensive than the Detecto scale used by Magic, but as much as I'd love that one, I could not afford it.

Before that, I had what I thought was a good set of scales (the kind that had a full circle with the "hands" like a clock. Trouble was, if I shifted my weight from my heels to my toes, the scale would register higher or lower. I was never really sure what I weighed. It could differ as much as 5 pounds depending on where I put my weight. :)

Ms Vicki: Wow!! That's awesome weightloss! So glad your high is lasting! Keep it up!

Nanster: Never heard of the spasming thing... do you feel it? We didn't have to do a barium swallow, just swallow Water. I guess every surgeon's different!

I do wonder about cholesterol, but I'll get it checked in 6 months or so. We do eat more chicken then beef & we use egg beaters, so hopefully it'll work itself out!

Sherry: Sorry, we've gone scale-less, so I don't have a clue. :) We just use the one at our surgeon's office. :)

Nanster: Wow, sounds scary!! Hope the mushies do it for you! I know that I've seen folks suggest a warm liquid before eating if your band is too tight. Keep us updated!

Ya'll are making me jealous with your scale talk! :( We were both too big for standard scales when my last one broke... so we just didn't bother. It's probably for the best... I would be weighing every 15 minutes! :)

Happy Thursday everyone! Almost there!!